U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 PM

27 posts, read 68,854 times

Advertisements

I recently flew into Kansas City International Airport and I must say this is probably the worse airport I have ever been in. Although flying over farm land and cows is a lot of fun, I quickly saw why Kansas City should build a new airport ASAP.

Perhaps you should use your Downtown Airport instead of make guest drive a billion miles to the city. Don't use the it's close to water excuse. There are tons of airports near water.

1. No restaurants
2. No stores.
3. Lack of cabs.
4. Lack of buses.
5. No train or light-rail
6. Terminals boarding passengers are cramped.
7. No rental car terminal

And what's up with the little 2 toilet outhouse inside the terminal?

Get it together KC....people actually laugh at your city. Wait... am I in Kansas or Missouri when I'm in Kansas City?

RDH

Last edited by replytodh; 03-08-2013 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: more comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
What’s with all the trolls on the KC forums lately? Or is it the same person?

First off, I like StLouis, probably better than KC and I think KCI sucks and is the worst airport.

But…

KC IS building a new airport terminal that will make the terminal in StL look like it’s from the 60’s. Oh wait, StL already looks like that. Oh and did you know that stupid dumpy KCI has about the same amount of passenger traffic as Lambert? Not many airports have taken as much of a nosedive as StL.

More facts for you.

Downtown airport is landlocked and the runways simply can not be expanded and more runways can not be built. KCI has three 10,000 ft runways which would not be possible downtown, let alone a modern terminal, rental car facility etc.

KCI is only 16 miles from downtown and I-29 is pretty built up from KCI to Downtown. So unless you are leaving the airport to go to Smithville or St Joe, it’s not really that far from the city. Even so, KCI is 15 minuntes from Downtown, yet in an area that is not developed to the north or west of KCI. You fly over cows because KCI owns all that land and keeps it rural so people don't build there and then complain about the airport. Also, this will allow KCI to expand in 20 years without having to destroy a suburb to do it like StL had to do (even though they don't need that capacity now).

No stores and no restaurants. Yea, that’s KCI. But again, with a new terminal, I think MCI will probably easily trump STL in that department.

Lack of cabs. Huh? While KCI does have a very stupid cab system where you have to call them rather than them just being lined up outside the gates, The cabs are minutes away and I would argue that KC as a city has more and nicer cabs than StL does. Regardless, the cab situation at KCI is another problem with all the gates at KCI. You introduce cabs fighting over passengers and you can’t control them. When the new terminal is built, you should be able to walk outside the terminal and see a line of cabs again.

No Light Rail. Nope and hopefully light rail to KCI is way off the radar. It would be a total waste of money.

Terminals cramped. Yep. They are either cramped or vacant. That’s KCI.

No rental car terminal. What? KCI has a huge modern consolidated rental car facility that you take one bus to reach.

KC is mostly in Missouri especially the urban and cultural portion of the city with the suburbs in both MO and KS. Get a map.

KC is getting it together. They are building a new airport terminal.

At least when you do leave KCI and rent a car at the invisible rental car facility, you are only a couple of miles from a very nice suburban area with any store or restaurant you can imagine (152/I-29 area) unlike StL which may as well be in the middle of nowhere because their really is not much around Lambert even if it is more build up.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-08-2013 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM

27 posts, read 68,854 times
KCMO,

Thanks for the reply. This is my 3rd time visiting KC and I think KC folks are the only people who think the city is moving forward and being progressive. What it takes KC 20 years to accomplish other cities make it happen in 5 years or less.

I have noticed a very stubborn attitude from KC folks. They just don't get it.

Cow town mentality I guess.

You can't get new businesses to come to KC without a train. East and West coast employers/employees who relocate would opt for riding a train over driving a car.

You guys make it easy for KCK and Overland Park to steal/take your revenue. STL doesn't have the revenue problem because Illinois is a dump.

KCMO should place toll-booths at all the major crossing into KCMO on the Kansas boarder since OP & KCK take advantage of the arts, culture, sports, restaurants, airport, P&L, Worlds of Fun, etc. Probably 100K cars cross into MO each day from Kansas. Charge $1.25. It would be $45 Million extra in your pot and you could reduce the tax burden on the MO citizens.

Like NYC. You can't get in to enjoy anything when coming from New Jersey or Connecticut unless you pay. $8 please!!!

Hell Delaware has tolls and it's smaller that Liberty, MO.

Don't cry when all of your major businesses end up in Kansas because of the new tax breaks.

Kansas governor is smart!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,512,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by replytodh View Post
make guest drive a billion miles to the city. Get it together KC....people actually laugh at your city. Wait... am I in Kansas or Missouri when I'm in Kansas City?
OP, you don't know whether you're in Kansas or Missouri when at KCI?

Houston, SF, Atlanta, LA, Denver, Dallas, to name a few, all have airports approximately 15 to 25 miles away from their downtown areas. Or in your time and space, that would equate to "a billion miles". So the distance to downtown from KCI seems about average. I wouldn't want to shop or eat at the airport unless I had to. So lack of choices there doesn't upset me. Who's laughing at KC?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 12,465,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Whatís with all the trolls on the KC forums lately? Or is it the same person?

First off, I like StLouis, probably better than KC and I think KCI sucks and is the worst airport.

ButÖ

KC IS building a new airport terminal that will make the terminal in StL look like itís from the 60ís. Oh wait, StL already looks like that. Oh and did you know that stupid dumpy KCI has about the same amount of passenger traffic as Lambert? Not many airports have taken as much of a nosedive as StL.
When will this be done? I HATE the KC airport, although I have found food by going outside the waiting room, only to go through security again. But I agree with the complaining OP; its awful.

So will there be a new airport in the next year or two?

Old 03-08-2013, 11:03 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,655,664 times
as a guy who lived in Kansas City and worked for the airlines I can say that the KC airport isn't all that bad. The security is significantly better than many other airports in the country, the accommodations are acceptable, and while restaurants can be sparse, they are available outside of security. I practically lived in the Southwest portion of that airport for years as I commuted between Kansas City and St. Louis, considering that KC Downtown airport was the former international airport, I don't see any good reason to come back. Yes, the current airport is out in the boonies, but that gives the airport some leverege when it comes time to expand for a new air carrier who starts calling Kansas City home. Did you happen to see all the red tape St. Louis had to jump through when they wanted to expand their airport more than 20 years ago, the 1st version involved buying lots of homes and then stopping before they could even complete the project...the second version was successful in that it finally built the new runway, but by the time it was completed the airport was no longer a major hub OF ANY TYPE! Personally, I think MCI is a pretty acceptable airport, as long as you're not using the typical "book me cheap" websites that have you jump from one carrier to another in order to save $20 on a ticket. The biggest detractor to the airfield is it's terminal layout, and if you book in a "typical" fashion, remaining on one carrier the entire time, it really isn't an issue!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:06 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
KCMO,

Thanks for the reply. This is my 3rd time visiting KC and I think KC folks are the only people who think the city is moving forward and being progressive. What it takes KC 20 years to accomplish other cities make it happen in 5 years or less.
I would generally agree with this. But the main reason this is the case is because the KC metro is just not on the same page and when that’s the case, it just takes forever to get anything done, if it ever gets done at all. The City of KCMO is so busy fighting off the Kansas side while at the same time the city has to financially provide all the culture for a metro that is four times the size of the city because the rest of the metro (especially KS side) only takes and poaches from KCMO rather than working with KCMO to build a better metropolitan area. This is something that most people in KC simply refuse to accept as reality and even those that do, just don’t know how destructive this has been to the overall health of the metropolitan area, even the suburbs which seem to think everything is fine. Most people in KC do realize the things the city lacks, but without regional leadership and cooperation, they don’t see how most of it could be accomplished, so people in KC tend to just relish in the same old things…like the Plaza.

Quote:
I have noticed a very stubborn attitude from KC folks. They just don't get it.
Yea, I would agree with this.

Quote:
Cow town mentality I guess.
Nah, KC is not really a cowtown, it’s just trying to be a big city when in reality it functions like six small cities. Can’t do both.

Quote:
You can't get new businesses to come to KC without a train. East and West coast employers/employees who relocate would opt for riding a train over driving a car.
KC needs mass transit, but building a billion dollar light rail line to KCI makes zero sense. There are plenty of other corridors that could support transit in metro KC long before a KCI line. The population density is just not there in the downtown to KCI corridor and KCI will always be a "drive to" airport for 99% of the travelers that use it. Just add some decent bus service between KCI and downtown/plaza. Denver does not have rail to its airport (I know they are building it now) and they have a very busy airport and a vibrant urban core. Again, some of the best transit corridors in KC would need to cross county and state lines. That is something most metros can accomplish. Here in DC, you have MD, VA and DC. Metro KC can "barely" get a city bus line to cross county lines, let alone the state line. You have two heavily populated counties (JoCo/JaCo) in metro KC connected together fully with continuous urban development and it's nearly impossible to even get a bus to go down 75th street to connect them. Just the fact the two counties are served by two different transit agencies is laughable in itself and KCK, Independence etc have their own bus systems too.

Quote:
You guys make it easy for KCK and Overland Park to steal/take your revenue. STL doesn't have the revenue problem because Illinois is a dump.
First off, StL does have a revenue problem, but the big difference is that St Louis County and St Louis City at least try to get along. Despite their friction, St Louis City and County are best friends compared to KCMO and JOCO, but the city has been losing business to the County for decades. But even when companies do leave the city for the county, they still fund StL City culture via county culture taxes and state taxes. The Science Museum, Zoo, Light Rail, etc are primarily funded by St Louis County. In KC, when companies leave the city for Kansas, it harms the city indirectly much more. The other big difference between KCMO and St Louis is the fact that Kansas can use far more aggressive incentives because they are claiming to be bring “NEW” jobs to the state, even though they came from KCMO. They also give away far more upfront cash than just about any other state to rob a city next door. And KCK is not taking anything from KCMO. The only thing they are doing is building state funded sprawl (mostly retail) way out in the boonies. KCK is still a total joke compared to KCMO and that is a simple fact, no matter how many subsidized malls they build by the speedway.

Quote:
KCMO should place toll-booths at all the major crossing into KCMO on the Kansas boarder since OP & KCK take advantage of the arts, culture, sports, restaurants, airport, P&L, Worlds of Fun, etc. Probably 100K cars cross into MO each day from Kansas. Charge $1.25. It would be $45 Million extra in your pot and you could reduce the tax burden on the MO citizens.
Sadly, this is about the only thing KCMO can do, but nobody at city hall has the balls to do it. KCMO needs to play hard ball. KCMO is fighting the entire state of Kansas and Missouri just does not have the city’s back. They don’t want any part of it. The poaching in KCMO is collateral damage because MO will go broke if they try to play revenge against Kansas because it would open a can of worms of corporate welfare in St Louis which has an economy over twice the size of KCMO in the state.

Quote:
Like NYC. You can't get in to enjoy anything when coming from New Jersey or Connecticut unless you pay. $8 please!!!
I live on the east coast, I know what things cost.

Quote:
Don't cry when all of your major businesses end up in Kansas because of the new tax breaks.
I don’t cry, but I’m loud about it. It’s sad watching your hometown self destruct and grow at such a slow pace when you know things could be different.

Quote:
Kansas governor is smart!
I guess so. Kansas bites the hand that feeds it. Someday, I think it will eventually backfire though. It already has. What has Kansas really gotten out of all of this corporate welfare, poaching and freeloading off of KCMO (besides resentment)? It has only hurt the very city that gives its most important county a reason to exist in the first place. If metropolitan KC acted more like a region, I personally think the KS side of KC would be much better off today as well, not just the MO side. KS has high taxes and little to show for it. Lots of urban decay, rural blight and underfunded schools. The only thing KS has is its colleges and JoCo/WyCo sprawl (which as I said is HEAVILY subsidized). I'm not sure how smart it is it pay AMC 46 million dollars to move from KCMO when no employees will actually move with them when they can't properly fund schools. Half of AMC's employees probably lived in KS so they basically took income tax from existing KS residents that used to commute to KCMO and will give that money to AMC to build a free building in an affluent area while KCK contines to rot. So less money for places like the KC Zoo, but more for AMC to send to shareholders. All Kansas really got was the chance to say they had a HQ of a company (till they were bought out anyway). But most in Kansas seem fine with this practice of "economic development". You would think for 46 million, Kansas would have a few more takers from "Out of town". Hmm....

Last edited by kcmo; 03-08-2013 at 11:40 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,492,358 times
Is KC moving forward with building a new terminal? Last I heard, it wasn't a definite thing.

I've been in the new Indy terminal a couple times in recent years and thought it was very nice and the type of terminal KCI needs.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:34 PM

889 posts, read 1,427,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Is KC moving forward with building a new terminal? Last I heard, it wasn't a definite thing.

I've been in the new Indy terminal a couple times in recent years and thought it was very nice and the type of terminal KCI needs.
The Kansas City Airport Authority has plans, but is in the middle of an 18-month site evaluation.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:45 PM

3 posts, read 19,398 times
I read in the newspaper that they were going to close terminal A down by the end of the year and only B and C terminals will be used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or