Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM

649 posts, read 1,210,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
There are a lot of people there not far removed from their rural/farming roots. Country music seems fairly popular, and don't forget the steady stream of traffic towards "the lake" on any given weekend instead of soaking up the cultural amenities the city has to offer. Also look at how the metro is built. Large yards almost everywhere and sizable suburbs far, far away from the city center. They seem to desire to be more connected to the countryside rather than the urban city.
Not an insult, just an observation... you have to say that when necessary on the net in case someone misreads your tone...

Of course KC also has a lot of white-collar types, artsy types, and even some old money. There's a good bit of socioeconomic diversity and folks are sometimes segregated to where they aren't exposed to the other side very much, which might explain the varied responses in this thread.

But yeah, Kansas City certainly should make the top 25 or so on any such list, but it's not #2 in my opinion. I can think of 10 others way more redneck just off the top of my head.
Many Americans like their suburbs far from the city. It's an American thing. We build em' far and then we like to drive.

I'll like to respond on your words that I bold.

Countryside does NOT = Redneck.

There are many cultured, well-educated and affluent people who live in the moneyed addresses of Kansas City (including transplants from other countries), who enjoy Kansas City precisely because it offers them the best of both worlds. They can watch a Monty Python play at Starlight, go to Kauffman to see a Chinese musical classic, go boating in one of many lakes in Missouri, take their children to ride horses in Dearborn.

You need to widen your own exposure before you pigeonhole people and activities into boxes with labels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

Redneck, as I understand, is kind of like "screw all these effing affectations, I just to enjoy my life and screw what anybody else thinks. I'll do my job and shop at Walmart and do what interests me. Sure, I'm college educated, but I don't give a flyin' eff who knows it and don't feel the need to intentionally portray myself as sophisticated or smart or go out of my way to seem intellectual." and they may even be a little judgemental themselves and say the other folks need to get a life.

My verison of "redneck" might be off, I don't know, but that's what I've gathered from knowing people who live in rural AR, OK, KS, and MO, and who I think urban elitist would quickly label "rednecks".
If your definition is correct, then I'm a redneck. And I'm not even from here?

KC is also where many homosexual couples have made their home. I know at least a handful and I don't think an uber conservative or Redneck city would be attractive to them.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:01 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,926,410 times
^Well, I think the elitist bastards might consider a road trip to Tennessee, especially Nashville (country music!) or the gulf coast "redneck". I've heard the gulf coast referred to as the "Redneck Riviera".

Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
^Well, I think the elitist bastards might consider a road trip to Tennessee, especially Nashville (country music!) or the gulf coast "redneck". I've heard the gulf coast referred to as the "Redneck Riviera".
In that case, they have bad taste in all things in life and are morons and a-holes at the same time.

I'm not half as upset by the "elitist bastards" who are Americans and truth be told, I have never really heard an American make any derogatory remarks or generalizations based on ignorance about the Midwest (the South though, yes).

It's foreigners who come to this country as tourists and guests whom I have experienced to have been rude and it super pisses me off.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,064,143 times
Quote:
I said "basically borders the South" and was speaking within a certain context. In the same sense, St. Louis also borders the South. Read the rest of what I said and put my comment in context and maybe you'll be able to wrap your head around it. Unless there's an invisible major industrial city between KC and the South that likely drew Southerners during it's heyday, I'm going to have to stick with what I've said about KC bordering the South.
Lots of other cities besides KC and STL drew Southerners in their hey-day...Detroit, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. But St. Louis and Kansas City are NOT right on top of the south...on top of the transition zone to the south, maybe, but true cities on top of the south in MO would be cases like Joplin, Springfield, and Cape Girardeau. Those cities literally border the south culturally, linguistically, and geographically.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Lots of other cities besides KC and STL drew Southerners in their hey-day...Detroit, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. But St. Louis and Kansas City are NOT right on top of the south...on top of the transition zone to the south, maybe, but true cities on top of the south in MO would be cases like Joplin, Springfield, and Cape Girardeau. Those cities literally border the south culturally, linguistically, and geographically.
In the context that I put it, Kansas City does, in fact, border the South. As a major industrial market, it did/does border the South. The towns you've mentioned being in between are not major industrial cities. You're now talking about something different than I ever was, not that I disagree with you - the line you just drew is spot on. Now that I think of it though the mountains in Arkansas hindered railroad connections and limited highway connections. KC still doesn't have a direct interstate connection to I-40. STL has long had a connection to Memphis and the river and it's corridor is a huge connection. It seems STL does kind of sit directly on top the South as far as being a major industrial market went. It might be interesting to see which city, STL or KC, received a larger influx of Southerners.

Last edited by MOKAN; 05-13-2013 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 PM

12,885 posts, read 13,554,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's hard to maintain a middle class lifestyle anywhere as a HS dropout. Are you arguing that KC is full of high school drop-outs enjoying middle-class lifestyles? I don't know those people. I do know a lot of college educated folks struggling to maintain middle-class lifestyles, given the economy.
I have older relatives who retired from GM and Ford they have a bunch of money in the Bank like maybe $500,000 (cash and stocks) that they don't need. I have younger relatives in KC and KCMO who make upwards toward $80,000 all with just high school or less. Its why many of the college grads in my family ditched their degrees and got teamster's union cards. IMO its why the inner city schools are so bad, many of the kids come from nice homes and have parents with no college education who can more than the teacher

Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I have older relatives who retired from GM and Ford they have a bunch of money in the Bank like maybe $500,000 (cash and stocks) that they don't need. I have younger relatives in KC and KCMO who make upwards toward $80,000 all with just high school or less. Its why many of the college grads in my family ditched their degrees and got teamster's union cards. IMO its why the inner city schools are so bad, many of the kids come from nice homes and have parents with no college education who can more than the teacher
Interesting perspective. If you could just re-state that last bit regarding schools....

Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
The list was comical, lighthearted, and non-scientific. Nothing to be offended about.
The term 'redneck' is different things to different people, obviously. I wouldn't automatically equate it with southern, blue collar, or even rural, even though many traits are often, but not always, interchangeable.
That being said, Kansas City has strong influences from the south and surrounding farmland, as well as being pretty industrial, historically speaking. Plenty of room for rednecks in all of that.
There are a lot of people there not far removed from their rural/farming roots. Country music seems fairly popular, and don't forget the steady stream of traffic towards "the lake" on any given weekend instead of soaking up the cultural amenities the city has to offer. Also look at how the metro is built. Large yards almost everywhere and sizable suburbs far, far away from the city center. They seem to desire to be more connected to the countryside rather than the urban city.
Not an insult, just an observation... you have to say that when necessary on the net in case someone misreads your tone...

Of course KC also has a lot of white-collar types, artsy types, and even some old money. There's a good bit of socioeconomic diversity and folks are sometimes segregated to where they aren't exposed to the other side very much, which might explain the varied responses in this thread.

But yeah, Kansas City certainly should make the top 25 or so on any such list, but it's not #2 in my opinion. I can think of 10 others way more redneck just off the top of my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Many Americans like their suburbs far from the city. It's an American thing. We build em' far and then we like to drive.

I'll like to respond on your words that I bold.

Countryside does NOT = Redneck.

There are many cultured, well-educated and affluent people who live in the moneyed addresses of Kansas City (including transplants from other countries), who enjoy Kansas City precisely because it offers them the best of both worlds. They can watch a Monty Python play at Starlight, go to Kauffman to see a Chinese musical classic, go boating in one of many lakes in Missouri, take their children to ride horses in Dearborn.

You need to widen your own exposure before you pigeonhole people and activities into boxes with labels.
Notice my sentence highlighted in red. You either overlooked it, or misunderstood what I was saying.
All the traits I mentioned are common among people who are considered redneck, but not all people who like country music or wide open spaces, for example, are rednecks. I am fully aware of that.
Also, you overlooked the part where I meant NO insults at all by anything I wrote.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,493,484 times
Default So You Have Jokes....LOL....FOMC falling out of my chair

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Well, this is embarrassing...or perhaps whoever made this list is wrong on all accounts.
Find yourself a city from the list below that only votes " Republican " and wowlaaa we have our's self a true genuine unadulterated honest to GOD no urban myths dye in the wool "Redneck" ....(.City)...!

Atlanta, GA ( Elitist African American City ) Anti Redneck city
Kansas City, MO ( Democratic City ) Even Elected African American Mayor....LOL
Oklahoma City, OK ( Bingo Every County In The State of Oklahoma Voted RED )
Nashville, TN ( Both Nashville and Memphis Tennessee are BLUE CITIES ) floating in a sea of RED
Tulsa, OK ( Every County In The State of Oklahoma Voted RED Including Tulsa County )
Fort Worth, TX ( The Nicest RED neck City In America )
Arlington, TX Most Liberal Cities, Most Conservative Cities, Most Democratic Cities, Most Republican Cities ...Reddest City
Sacramento, CA ( Democratic City And The American City With The Most Racial Diversity ) LOL..
Cleveland, OH *( Come On Now Give Me A Break )"
Mesa, AZ Most Liberal Cities, Most Conservative Cities, Most Democratic Cities, Most Republican Cities ...Reddest City

Last edited by Yac; 05-21-2013 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City