Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:12 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,671,314 times

Advertisements

If the Sporting Kansas City decided to change their name (again) to something that is more geographically based or culture based, what name do you think would fit?

Mind you, I know this will never happen (anytime soon at least) but I'm doing this just for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,135,088 times
It's not geographically based, but they call the member section (The Cauldron) is called The Blue Hell. I think The Blue Hell would be a great name! But I see nothing wrong with Sporting KC.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It's not geographically based, but they call the member section (The Cauldron) is called The Blue Hell. I think The Blue Hell would be a great name! But I see nothing wrong with Sporting KC.
Well...the teams name, I think, is a hell of a lot better than Real Salt Lake. There is nothing royal/regal about Salt Lake City at all. And don't even get started on the Utah Jazz and their name, haha.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:43 PM

675 posts, read 639,436 times
How much more geography-based would you want? I don't know your area at all, but I thought Sporting Park was in KCK proper. Is there a name to the specific neighborhood?

I'm a Sounders fan, but I do have Missouri family, so I like Missouri teams. Bummer that UMKC already took the name "Kangaroos". I like that. Not that there are too many Aussies in KC metro, I'd guess, but it's a cool name.

Nothing wrong with Sporting. It's been used the world over before (Lisbon, Braga, Gijon, etc.). And I love your visual branding! Colors, logo, kits, even the inside of the stadium is in that light blue, isn't it?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,135,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post

Nothing wrong with Sporting. It's been used the world over before (Lisbon, Braga, Gijon, etc.). And I love your visual branding! Colors, logo, kits, even the inside of the stadium is in that light blue, isn't it?
Yes, The Blue Hell! I love it too.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
One of best names in MLS. Leave it alone. I hated the Wizards name and the WIZ even more. That was god awful. The new owners of KC's soccer club have re-branded them well. I would have liked to see the stadium at Kaw Point or something as part of a project in downtown KCK though (I hate village west and think it's a reckneck/suburbanite tourist trap and just not my thing). But that's how they were able to fund the stadium (retail star bonds) and it is what it is. The nasar track is fine (for those that like nascar), but at lot of that other stuff could have really done something special for KCK east of 435. At least KC still has their MLS team and the fans are supporting them now.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
One of best names in MLS. Leave it alone.
It's probably the worst up there with Real Salt Lake and New York Red Bulls, no offense.

The best team names in the MLS should go to the Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders and the Portland Timbers.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
It's probably the worst up there with Real Salt Lake and New York Red Bulls, no offense.

The best team names in the MLS should go to the Vancouver Whitecaps, Seattle Sounders and the Portland Timbers.
Maybe, but after the WIZ it's an amazing name .

KC Comets would have been cool, but they have brought that name back for another local indoor soccer team.

So you are wanting something geographically based or culture based? Well even though KC is not really in the heart of Tornado alley, people outside of KC associate Kansas with tornadoes, so that would probably be a top choice in a national poll. Or KC Beef or something like that. I think all those cliches grow old with KC people but since KC is not really in a very appealing area geographically what can you do?

KC Plain Staters? KC Farmers? KC Wheat? KC COPS? (you know from KC's infamous COPS episodes showing the city's white trash and crime side)

How about KC Splash (for KCMO's fountains).

I don't know.

Sporting sound fine to me. I'm good with any name NOT associated with what most people think of when I tell them I'm from KC.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Maybe, but after the WIZ it's an amazing name .

KC Comets would have been cool, but they have brought that name back for another local indoor soccer team.

So you are wanting something geographically based or culture based? Well even though KC is not really in the heart of Tornado alley, people outside of KC associate Kansas with tornadoes, so that would probably be a top choice in a national poll. Or KC Beef or something like that. I think all those cliches grow old with KC people but since KC is not really in a very appealing area geographically what can you do?

KC Plain Staters? KC Farmers? KC Wheat? KC COPS? (you know from KC's infamous COPS episodes showing the city's white trash and crime side)

How about KC Splash (for KCMO's fountains).

I don't know.

Sporting sound fine to me. I'm good with any name NOT associated with what most people think of when I tell them I'm from KC.
I am going to digress for a minute but I take that you're then a transplant to the Washington DC area? How do you feel about the names Wizards and Redskins?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I am going to digress for a minute but I take that you're then a transplant to the Washington DC area? How do you feel about the names Wizards and Redskins?
Well first let me say that we love pro sports and have adopted many of the local teams. We go to lots of O's, Nat's and Caps games and are fans of the teams unless the Royals are in town.

And while we follow the NFL teams, we are not fans of the local teams and have not been to any games here (we knew the Chiefs would get pummeled by the Ravens so didn't go and this year we hope to see the Chiefs play at DC). We have not been to an MLS game here and have been to one Wizards game.

So I follow regional sports closely and have kept up with the Redskins issues.

Personally I think it's kind of stupid, but like everything in DC, it will get blown out of proportion and the national government will somehow get involved either by some sort of federal investigation or by congress passing laws. Where does it end. You also have the Braves, Chiefs, Indians etc and it goes into hundreds of minor league, college and high school and even below that. Stop the nonsense. Redskins is fine. People need to chill out on the PC crap. But if they change it, I'm fine with that too. Much bigger problems in DC right now than the name of their stupid football team.

You asked

As far as the DC Wizards. I don't really know. If you are asking because I said I hated the name of the KC Wizards, well, the KC Wizards/WIZ was just terrible from the start with terrible logos, no real meaning etc. Do I think they should have changed DC from the Bullets to the Wizards? Nah. Again, what was the point? Sure that was when DC was a mess of gang warfare and they didn't want the name associated with the crime in the city. But I'm pretty sure changing the name of their NBA team had little to do with the gentrification that has flipped DC and so I don't really see the point. I have no problem with the DC Wizards though.

KC is mostly not in Kansas, especially the part of the city that most people think of when they think of KC, even though the team plays there now. The KC area has nothing to do with the whole wizard of oz thing and people that live there (even KS side people, but especially MO side) hate being associated with the wizard of oz. That combined with just the terrible logos etc made it stupid for a team name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City