Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is KC the Soccer Capital of the US?
Yes, KC is the Soccer Capital of the US! 10 32.26%
No, KC isn't the Soccer Capital of the US! 21 67.74%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
I see more SKC bumper stickers and gear than chiefs or royals anymore.
Huh, not my experience. Not even since moving to JoCo. Maybe we just notice what we're specifically looking for. Kinda how when you're driving a certain make/model of car, you suddenly notice all the other cars of the same makemodel on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 04:37 PM

24 posts, read 41,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Of course they are more popular, they have a 100 year lead on MLS. However, MLS is further along at 18 than either of those leagues were. In the 60s, there were still members of media that considered the NFL to be a niche league and thought it would die off even being over 40 years along and the Super Bowl starting. Its funny how history repeats itself and those people are made fools of.

You did fine with your argument til this.. To think that soccer which is an incredibly boring television sport to watch and is about on the same level as the NHL with tv ratings is going to become comparable to the NFL is a pure joke. You must go by local television ratings when comparing sports. The chiefs are kings, but a terribly run franchise in a league catered to every team having a chance. The royals do extremely well for television ratings and are breaking 15 year highs in terms of television ratings now they are doing better. The interest is there. SKC is much lower in tv ratings. Attendance matters less and less now to sports and I only see this continuing
The Royals vs. Red Sox game last night was the most watched show in Kansas City with 128,000 households watching. I'd expect tonight's game to break that record and the attendance for Saturday and Sunday's games at the K to be very close to, if not sellouts.

Even if I'm wrong about the attendance, the people saying that the Royals have little interest anymore...well this link proves you wrong.

Royals-Red Sox sets new ratings record | royals.com: News

Last edited by Nanox; 08-09-2013 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: double linked

Old 08-09-2013, 07:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
I see more Royals and Chiefs stuff in the DC area than I see MLS DC United stuff in the DC area. The Royals and Chiefs have a fan base that any MLS team would die for. The DC United could win ten cups in a row and they would not get a fraction of the attention that a Redskins scrimmage would get.

MLS is fine and I would even go as far as calling it the 5th major league sport but even trying to compare MLS popularity to that of MLB and NFL is ludicrous.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:20 AM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I see more Royals and Chiefs stuff in the DC area than I see MLS DC United stuff in the DC area. The Royals and Chiefs have a fan base that any MLS team would die for. The DC United could win ten cups in a row and they would not get a fraction of the attention that a Redskins scrimmage would get.

MLS is fine and I would even go as far as calling it the 5th major league sport but even trying to compare MLS popularity to that of MLB and NFL is ludicrous.
We aren't talking about the DC area though. Just took a friend to her first MLS game yesterday, she said she's never seen that kind of energy from a royals game.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
Just a reminder: the first Chiefs preseason game generated a 23 rating on TV. That's significant. The Chiefs, no matter how badly they play, are still the most valuable television programming in this market. Sporting, as much as I like them, maybe have a tenth of that mark on a typical game. The Royals just recently set a record for viewership on FOX Sports Kansas City, and that was around a 10 or 11 rating.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM

886 posts, read 2,226,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Just a reminder: the first Chiefs preseason game generated a 23 rating on TV. That's significant. The Chiefs, no matter how badly they play, are still the most valuable television programming in this market. Sporting, as much as I like them, maybe have a tenth of that mark on a typical game. The Royals just recently set a record for viewership on FOX Sports Kansas City, and that was around a 10 or 11 rating.
Average a month ago for tv ratings was SKC 1.1. The royals average was 3.8 last year, which was their best TV ratings ever. Royals were also the 4th lowest visited baseball stadium last year as well.

I think the increase from SKC is significant. Definitely far from Chiefs at this point though.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:47 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
Royals were also the 4th lowest visited baseball stadium last year as well.
Which is amazing considering they are the second smallest market in baseball and have been among its 2 0r 3 worst teams for a quarter of a century. Think about that.

KC is a baseball town. Its just a small city in an isolated location with a horrible team. The Chiefs have comparable level of interest, it kind of waxes and wanes. Sporting is no where near as much a part of the fabric of this city, and there is no foreseeable situation in which they will be anytime soon.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 PM

396 posts, read 653,700 times
Quote:
Not produced any players of Merit? On their current roster they have key US national team members Besler and Zusi.

And Philly more rabid fans??? Portland and Seattle are def up there, but Philly?? They were Rabid at their 3-1 loss to SKC I suppose.

You are correct on Besler, Klinsie seems to like him, had a very good rookie year, but he needs more international caps, he will get them - Zusi plays for Sporting, he is not from KC

Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM

396 posts, read 653,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanox View Post
Um, what?

KC is not a college sports town. Not even close. The Royals and Chiefs are king in Kansas City, they're pretty evenly split in terms of interest level for the #1 spot. I can't believe you actually think that KU athletics is above the local MLB and NFL teams. I think that's what you WANT it to be like, but it isn't. I'm not denying that KU basketball has a sizable fanbase in KC (its mostly just the transplants from Lawrence anyway), but to actually think it is a tier ABOVE the Royals and Chiefs? That is completely asinine.

1. Royals/Chiefs
2. KU Basketball
3. Sporting KC

its a pretty big college sports town, my experience was traveling there for work a lot for 7 years, most of the people I dealt with were in design, architecture and engineering, most were KU or K State grads and most of the sports chatter from them was concerning college teams, Chiefs probably got about as much attention, the company use to through a huge party during big 12 tourney it was the biggest event of the year to them.

Just was my experience

Old 08-13-2013, 09:02 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Yes, you are right. It is a big college sports town, with KU basketball occupying center stage, then Missouri and K-State football and basketball coming in a distant tie for second. I guess I was only really relating Sporting to the other pro sports teams that are actually in the city, but KU fans are ubiquitous in the urban core and KS suburbs and the fanbase is a great deal more significant than Sporting's, while Missouri fans are less present in the city and but very big in the MO-side suburban areas. K-State fans seems scattered in JoCo primarily.

Regardless, college athletics are big in KC, and between the 3 "area" teams and both big sports and the history of KS/MO rivalry, college athletics probably gets as much cultural airspace as any pro sports team individually, but not even KU basketball has as much weight in the city as the Chiefs or the Royals. Consider this: everyone who grows up a KU or K-State fan also grows up with the Royals and the Chiefs, probably a third of all MU fans do, too, and there's a lot of people in the city who couldn't care less about college sports who grew up with the Royals and Chiefs as their default teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City