Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 12,771 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]As a recent newcomer, I have noticed that the Kansas City citizens are polite but very uninviting.
This gives me an impression that the Kansas City citizens really don't want to spend the time with newcomers and to make them feel welcomed and appreciated. This atomsphere will have an affect with their employer who spent time and money to relocate them.

[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:08 PM

377 posts, read 569,578 times
I'm not sure what you're getting at regarding employers, but I've lived in KC for about 18 months and I've found Kansas Citians to be incredibly warm and welcoming.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 PM

2 posts, read 12,771 times
Pacificwhim, good for you.
Question(s), those people who you meet
1- have similar interests to you? or
2- are they generally open-minded and are willing to meet newcomers?

In reference to the employer statement, if the employee finds that Kansas Citians are very unwelcoming. He/She would want to leave as soon as possible; thus wasting the employer's time and money to relocate to Kansas City.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 PM

377 posts, read 569,578 times
1. I don't know. I'm not quizzing them on their likes and dislikes. They're generally people who live in the neighborhood I just moved to.

2. Since these folks are generally stopping to greet me or my wife, I'd say they're willing to meet newcomers, yes.

Why the clinical approach to meeting other people? Are you an employer looking for data on how welcoming a city is? Because I've found that you can't quantify the things you're asking about. You have to roll up your sleeves, hit the streets and meet people to find out how friendly they are. Or not.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:14 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,442 times
Keep at it. You may have stumbled upon some people who have been in the same clique since high school. It's hard to break into that circle. You'll find plenty of that in central U.S. cities.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 PM

85 posts, read 311,267 times
I would have to say yes to your comment. I moved here and have been here for some time now and I must say ALL of my friends are from out of state or out of the country. I have yet to form a close bond with anyone that is from here. Like my friend from China said, if you didn't grow up with them, you are OUT!

Most of the people here have know each other since elementary school or hig school.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 437,695 times
KC locals are generally nice and polite (at least at face value). Cliques are however particularly strong here, as many people's friends circle starts and stops with those they knew from grade school or high school. KC doesn't have such a large nor prevalent "transplant" culture. So consequently, locals never really were forced to go out of their way to interact with or make friends with non locals.

This is not unique to KC. Numerous cities of the same size and geographic setting are like that.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I moved here in 2007. My employer hired me from out of state, did not pay for relocation. I was moving to be with my then-boyfriend.

I have found people to be incredibly welcoming, friendly, and made enough friends and connections that, five years in, when my boyfriend dumped me, I made the choice to stay on, even though I had no family support system for 500 miles, because my local support system was strong.

Most people I know grew up here; only a few are transplants like me. They don't seem particularly cliquish, and I've felt very welcomed, here. My fiance grew up here, and his whole family and his circle of friends (who, yes, are mostly people he went to elementary school, high school, and college with, as well as his Navy family) have embraced me as well.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM

196 posts, read 394,901 times
I started a thread about this very topic last year.

Back then, I was kind of unsure if people thought of KC as being welcoming or unwelcoming to outsiders. But nowadays, I believe people here (like many other cities) can be welcoming if you emphasize who you are as a person and not where you hail from. Be who you are, but don't be so introverted in the process. Make compliments about this city; talk about what you find impressive. People like other people who are positive.

If you have trouble breaking into social circles, find at least one person who shares some interests (if not all) and let that person introduce you to their social circle. If you overhear someone at a public place talk about something you agree with, don't be afraid to include yourself in the conversation (just don't interrupt them). The more ambitious you are, the more likely you will make friends. Don't overdo it, or else people will think you're weird and desperate for attention

If others make fun of you about where you're from, prove them wrong by telling them what your place has in common with this place. Be positive and respectful about it; don't argue or get confrontational.

If you don't agree on sports teams, then don't talk about it. You can still make friends with people who agree with you on politics, entertainment, hobbies, lifestyle, etc. Try to live a little.

That's the only advice I can give.

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 08-12-2013 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Kansas Citians are known for being somewhat insecure about their city. We generally don't like it when newcomers talk incessantly about how great their old city was, or what Kansas City lacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City