Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 AM

180 posts, read 261,650 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious what others here think. My favorites would probably be Ward Parkway, Troost, and 175th St (between Olathe and Spring Hill).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Anything in the historic Northeast.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Some of my favorites are:

-Ward Parkway, which is self-explanatory.
-Shawnee Mission Parkway (original older section off Plaza).
-Gladstone BLVD in old Northeast (both the historic and scenic sections).
-Missouri 45 west of Parkville (through the hills and flat, unmolested river valley).
-Kansas 5 between Wyandotte County Lake and Leavenworth. This is a very windy highway, probably moreso than any other in the KC region. I'm not sure, but I suspect the unique hills in this area are glaciated.

I could go on all day, but other streets of interest are:

-South Esplanade St in Leavenworth (lined with historic houses on one side, view of MO river and valley on other side from high bluff).
-Westwood Drive in Leavenworth (winter only, neatest at night - like being on a mountain, this view provides a unique view of the entire city of leavenworth with the lit-up federal prison in the background).
-Blue Ridge BLVD bridge over Truman Rd (provide same type of view as the one described above, but of KCMO's oldest neighborhoods with downtown in the background).
-Kansas 32 (the most interesting alternative route to Lawrence, used this just the other day).
-For some country fun, like popping over hills where you feel it in your gut, rural northern Platte County is ideal, especially west of I-29, which isn't far from the Missouri 45 I mentioned earlier.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
I'm just curious what others here think. My favorites would probably be Ward Parkway, Troost, and 175th St (between Olathe and Spring Hill).
You should explain why you like each street you mentioned. I'm especially curious about 175th St because I'm unfamiliar.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
I like to take Ward Parkway north into the city and catch Southwest Trafficway north toward downtown. It's cool how it transitions from a historic boulevard lined with fountains and mansions and slowly becomes more and more urban and built up till you reach downtown as you pass through the Plaza, Westport and Midtown.

I also like approaching the Downtown skyline from US-71 northbound, Main Street northbound and US-169 southbound.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Some of my favorites are:

-Shawnee Mission Parkway (original older section off Plaza).

Hee, I have to drive this every day, and it's such a speed trap! Maybe I need to gain in appreciation.

Quote:
-Gladstone BLVD in old Northeast (both the historic and scenic sections).

Love this.

Quote:
-South Esplanade St in Leavenworth (lined with historic houses on one side, view of MO river and valley on other side from high bluff).

Good call! I like driving around inside Ft. Leavenworth.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
Way into the outskirts, there is a road in Miami county that used to be quite popular when I was a kid called "Gravity Hill". It's a road that appears flat through an optical illusion (called a magnetic hill, I believe), but is actually slanted to a degree. Anyway, all of us stupid teenagers would put our cars into neutral and turn of the engine and watch as our car slowly but "magically" rolled to a string of railroad tracks in the distance. It even had it on little ghost story about how a little girl died on the tracks, and her spirit pushes all cars to the tracks to be hit by an oncoming train in hopes of gaining someone to keep her company. The legend says that if the moon is out, and the air's thick you can get out of your car to see hand prints from the girl's spirit pushing your car.

Good fun if we didn't have the gas to make it to Kansas City.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,540,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Good call! I like driving around inside Ft. Leavenworth.
I didn't think the everyday public could just drive onto FTL anymore. But I agree it's a neat place. Several years ago I went on a open house tour of the oldest, biggest officers' homes. Very historic.

I like Ward Parkway and Mission Drive in Mission Hills. I also like "old" K-10 to Lawrence, because it brings back such happy memories of my days at KU.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 AM

377 posts, read 569,701 times
Cool thread. As a native Californian, I love to drive. And as a recent KC transplant, I've been wondering about nice drives. I'll have to try these.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM

654 posts, read 630,925 times
Ward Parkway, Roanoke north of 39th st, 63rd st east of Nall to Meyer Blvd, 59th St south of Loose Park, Kansas Ave through KCK, 7th st Trafficway through KCK, 79th St in old Overland Park, the main drag through Parkville, Armour Blvd through North Kansas City, Cliff drive through the Northeast, there are a lot of cool places to drive in the KC area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City