Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM

196 posts, read 395,071 times

Advertisements

THESE ARE MY VIEWS AND OPINIONS, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THEM PERSONALLY IF YOU DISAGREE.

The much talked about 2006 documentary caught my attention a few years after its release. Although most of the film is set at the campsite in North Dakota, the church (which attended and organized the camp) is based in the KC suburb of Lee's Summit, MO.

The people featured in the documentary really blew my mind. They aren't your average "keep it to myself" Christians, they're pretty out there -- crazy, ultra right-wing, science-denying, cultish Christian stereotypes. It's an interesting documentary, but at the same time it made me feel uncomfortable. It was pretty heartbreaking to see those children get brainwashed by these people. It also made me wonder what people thought of KC residents in general (after viewing this film).

Occasionally, you had humiliating internet gossip like this (in response to the film):

"This going to KC is a good move, for thier numbers anyway.
It's already a fertile land. They've got an entire sect
devoted to the idea that KC will be the "Zion", or gathering place
for the second coming. We're probably only seeing the turtlehead of the shiat hitting the fan...."

"no f**king way I'm moving anywhere near that scary-ass inbred hick-town turned city"

Ouch. Well on a more serious note, perhaps this is why some people (if not all) assume KC is in the bible belt. They watch this documentary and lump us all in with the hardcore fundamentalist "Jesus Camp" crowd.

I don't care if this documentary is seven years old, the mere fact that it exists makes me feel a tad embarrassed for my city's metro area. Because of this documentary, people ignorantly assume the KC area is overrun with the kook-fringe religious right.

I'm sorry, but it just makes me mad . Does anyone else feel the same (or differently)? I would like to hear from all points of view.

Last edited by MidWestCityNative; 08-16-2013 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 05:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,876,006 times
I don't think it matters much. This group could be based in a suburb of DC or Chicago just as easily.

Most people outside of KC already think KC is a bible belt type city just because of its location, name/association with Kansas (which tends to make the news a lot for hard core religious stuff).

Is KC even mentioned in the documentary?

Plus, while KC is not a very religious or bible thumping type city, nothing like what I have seen in southern metros, the metro has more than its fair share of diehards. IHOP, this group etc. Liberty, southern JoCo etc have just massive mega churches all over the place. So compared to the DC area, KC seems far more religious, or at least has such areas very close by.

But KC already kind of has a "flyover" country/Midwest and yes bible belt image. Out here, I am constantly having to tell people that KC is not like that. I can't see it getting much worse.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Is KC even mentioned in the documentary?
KMBZ Radio is heard during the opening sequence of the film.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
KMBZ Radio is heard during the opening sequence of the film.
But most people don't even know that KC is in Missouri, let alone that some random city called "LEE'S SUMMIT" which sounds like a southern Missouri place, is a suburb of KCMO.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
But most people don't even know that KC is in Missouri, let alone that some random city called "LEE'S SUMMIT" which sounds like a southern Missouri place, is a suburb of KCMO.
Judging from the reviews I've read for this film (both professional and amateur), I'd say a fair amount of people know Lee's Summit is part of Kansas City.

Just the thought of KC being synonymous with this film makes me feel...blecch.

BTW, when people think of IHOP, they immediately think of pancakes, not a kook-fringe group based out of KC

Old 08-16-2013, 06:18 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidWestCityNative View Post
Do you think "Jesus Camp" has ruined KC's image?
Only to people who hate. How is steering away people who don't have respect for people different than themselves or otherwise ignorant any loss?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:20 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
Quote:
If this were on the Kansas side, somehow I think you'd be singing a different tune.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
If this were on the Kansas side, somehow I think you'd be singing a different tune.
Like I said, most people don't think of Kansas City when they hear Missouri, however when they hear Kansas they do.

Westboro Church and the state education department evolution issues probably effect KC's image more than things that happen closer to KC on the Missouri side, even though those things have nothing to do with KC (even the KS side of KC).

Like I said, the vast majority of people outside of KC do not associate KC with Missouri.

We all know that outstate MO and KS are not really all that different. I actually think much of Rural MO is far more conservative bible belty than rural Kansas. But that's not the image of KC. The image of KC outside about 100 miles of KC is whatever Kansas stereotypes people might have.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:25 PM

180 posts, read 261,570 times
If anything, I believe the movie is more associated with North Dakota in the public's mind; but let's not get carried away. It was a popular documentary, but still one seen by a fraction of American people, and many of those even so would not have made the KC-connection. To say that this event would "ruin" KC's reputation seems to be quite a stretch.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
If anything, I believe the movie is more associated with North Dakota in the public's mind; but let's not get carried away. It was a popular documentary, but still one seen by a fraction of American people, and many of those even so would not have made the KC-connection. To say that this event would "ruin" KC's reputation seems to be quite a stretch.
yea, that was my point. I have never seen it and I tend to somehow watch anything that has something to do with KC. But even those that have would probably not connect it to KC unless they already know the area.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-16-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City