Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:09 AM

29 posts, read 39,734 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I know this is a controversial subject to raise as I've already read a few threads showing a little rivalry between KCMO and JOCO but we're coming to see houses next week and want some context before speaking to Realtors.

We live and work in NJ and dislike it a lot. We were transferred here by my employer and it's just not a fit. Now it looks like we'll be in arriving Jan 1,2014 in the KCMO area. We have two kids 7 and 9 and we're looking for a place where the kids can ride their bikes, where we can walk around and with the best public schools.

We can spend a decent amount on a house so that's not really a limiting factor. I suppose what I'm asking is:
As locals, if you could live on any street in the KCMO area and have your kids go to any school...what would that be and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
The "Hatfields/McCoys" scenario is still active between KS and MO; albeit a waste of time and ludicrous, you'll still come across those who insist on slinging mud.

As far as school, I don't have children in school; however, had read it and heard it that the better schools are in Johnson County, KS.

Cost of living is less on the MO side; but then again, many will tell you the quality of life is better on the KS side (JOCO specifically). Taxes are very high in JOCO.

Yes, this thread will open up a can of worms and stir the pot; those who have hate for KS (and for no apparent reason) will do their best to convince you to live on the MO side.

If you do want to focus on Kansas City, MO; perhaps posting on that particular site will provide more insight.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:16 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I think you might see a lot of votes for ; Lee's Summit, North Kansas City, and the Brookside area.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambamboo1 View Post
Hi all, I know this is a controversial subject to raise as I've already read a few threads showing a little rivalry between KCMO and JOCO but we're coming to see houses next week and want some context before speaking to Realtors.

We live and work in NJ and dislike it a lot. We were transferred here by my employer and it's just not a fit. Now it looks like we'll be in arriving Jan 1,2014 in the KCMO area. We have two kids 7 and 9 and we're looking for a place where the kids can ride their bikes, where we can walk around and with the best public schools.

We can spend a decent amount on a house so that's not really a limiting factor. I suppose what I'm asking is:
As locals, if you could live on any street in the KCMO area and have your kids go to any school...what would that be and why?
I'm a Chicago transplant of 13 years with teenagers so I've been in your shoes.

For good PUBLIC schools you are either looking at the areas mentioned by Lefty, or pretty much anything in the JOCO school system.

I would look at both the MO areas and the KS areas to make an informed decision.

With regards to the KS areas, a short drive down I-35 will land you in Shawnee Mission or Lenexa KS. If I am understanding correctly that you will be working in downtown-ish KCMO...there is no benefit to going further south to places like Olathe or Overland Park and extend your commute. These are a little older communities so you should be able to find a WIDE range of older to newer homes, less cookie-cutter, mature trees and there is a vast network of walking paths throughout the area, especially Lenexa.

If you look at school ranking info be careful because we do have a number of hispanic immigrants that live in apartments in the area. They are paying higher rents to be in the good school district for their kids and initially their kids due to language barriers and relocation etc. have lower scores but that is something that reverses so don't ding the schools for "low scores" = bad school.

In particular you can look at some of the highschool rankings but I'm a stickler for strong academics and I think they are quite good. My kids highschool has a 1/2 dozen natl. merit commended\finalists each year.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The "Hatfields/McCoys" scenario is still active between KS and MO; albeit a waste of time and ludicrous, you'll still come across those who insist on slinging mud.

As far as school, I don't have children in school; however, had read it and heard it that the better schools are in Johnson County, KS.

Cost of living is less on the MO side; but then again, many will tell you the quality of life is better on the KS side (JOCO specifically). Taxes are very high in JOCO.

Yes, this thread will open up a can of worms and stir the pot; those who have hate for KS (and for no apparent reason) will do their best to convince you to live on the MO side.

If you do want to focus on Kansas City, MO; perhaps posting on that particular site will provide more insight.
I agree with a lot of that.

I would caution that for a person moving from New Jersey, taxes won't be very high for them.

As a point of reference my property taxes in JOCO are roughly 1.25% per 100k of home value. My buddy lives in KCMO south of the plaza a mile or so (nice area) and his are about the same.

Regardless, the realty websites should tell him roughly what sort of taxes he is looking at.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:42 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Blue Valley School District in south Overland Park is the best school district in the Kansas City area right now. In addition, Overland Park is very safe and you can walk and your kids can ride bikes without fear.

I live in the northern part of Johnson County (Prairie Village) and my kids went to Shawnee Mission schools, and so did I. Shawnee Mission schools are still fine, but these days Blue Valley is the best. You say you can afford to spend money on a house. Housing is going to be more expensive in the Blue Valley district, but worth it IMO. I personally like the area between 135th and 179th on the north and south and Quivira and Mission on the east and west.

To look at houses for sale, go to www.reeceandnichols.com I can spend hours there just looking at what is for sale. You can search by zip code, subdivision, map, and various other ways.

The Kansas side, Johnson County, has very low crime, great schools, rising property values.

I have lived in Kansas and in Missouri, and honestly there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in taxes. But the Kansas side takes MUCH better care of their streets. Our streets are cleaned immediately when it snows. Our potholes are fixed. The street cleaner comes by and cleans the streets and you don't see trash on the streets, sidewalks, or lawns. It's very pleasant here.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Blue Valley School District in south Overland Park is the best school district in the Kansas City area right now. In addition, Overland Park is very safe and you can walk and your kids can ride bikes without fear.

I live in the northern part of Johnson County (Prairie Village) and my kids went to Shawnee Mission schools, and so did I. Shawnee Mission schools are still fine, but these days Blue Valley is the best. You say you can afford to spend money on a house. Housing is going to be more expensive in the Blue Valley district, but worth it IMO. I personally like the area between 135th and 179th on the north and south and Quivira and Mission on the east and west.

To look at houses for sale, go to www.reeceandnichols.com I can spend hours there just looking at what is for sale. You can search by zip code, subdivision, map, and various other ways.

The Kansas side, Johnson County, has very low crime, great schools, rising property values.

I have lived in Kansas and in Missouri, and honestly there doesn't seem to be much of a difference in taxes. But the Kansas side takes MUCH better care of their streets. Our streets are cleaned immediately when it snows. Our potholes are fixed. The street cleaner comes by and cleans the streets and you don't see trash on the streets, sidewalks, or lawns. It's very pleasant here.
You might want to give him something less subjective than BV district is "better", as you are proposing that he add another 15-minutes (at least) each way to his commute (or roughly 100+ hours a year more in a car). Especially since we don't know all of the posters personal needs or that of his familys interests etc.

My friend and his family live in the area you describe and love it. Lots of walking trails etc. around there too.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times
This post should probably be moved to the Kansas City forum.

If I could choose to live on any street, it would be either Jansen Place or Valentine Rd and the school would be Acadamie Lafayette.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:21 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
If I had a choice it would be out near the airport around Barry Rd. , Tiffany Springs.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You might want to give him something less subjective than BV district is "better", as you are proposing that he add another 15-minutes (at least) each way to his commute (or roughly 100+ hours a year more in a car). Especially since we don't know all of the posters personal needs or that of his familys interests etc.

My friend and his family live in the area you describe and love it. Lots of walking trails etc. around there too.
I am basing it on the statistics posted here by myself and others that show Blue Valley to be the highest rated school district based on scores and college readiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City