Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 AM

6,771 posts, read 11,404,343 times

Advertisements

Five signs of trouble in Johnson County’s paradise - KansasCity.com

Since we've had a flare up of KS vs. MO lately, this is from the KC Star this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 07:46 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,635,110 times
That story is the story of America in 2013 as our national free fall continues with no end in sight. That same story could be done about most other counties in most other metros throughout the nation.

Alluring as it is to some to smell Johnson County blood in the water, this story could be - and probably has been - copied and pasted into local news outlets nationwide with equal or better validity.

Sorry, try again. It is our nation that is hemorrhaging and Johnson County is but a drop in that bucket.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:55 AM

210 posts, read 425,027 times
Thanks obama

Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,720,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That story is the story of America in 2013 as our national free fall continues with no end in sight. That same story could be done about most other counties in most other metros throughout the nation.

Alluring as it is to some to smell Johnson County blood in the water, this story could be - and probably has been - copied and pasted into local news outlets nationwide with equal or better validity.

Sorry, try again. It is our nation that is hemorrhaging and Johnson County is but a drop in that bucket.

YAEL T. ABOUHALKAH The guy's a total idiot. I can't help but LOL at his last "reason" I was appalled at the trashed-out places that used to be nice areas when I visited in August, but Yael has all the answers

Old 10-11-2013, 12:36 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,635,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
Thanks obama
Much more like thanks, Reagan.

Obama's damage is small potatoes compared to the trillions diverted offshore and to the elite 1% from the middle class by corporate traitors. Corporate traitors that stepped up their game and got rolling under a full head of steam during the 80s when the Reagan popularity and charm was tapped to make it fashionable once again to pillage at will....without regard for American national interest or social consequence.

Obama's efforts to expand the social safety net are largely in response to the social devastation caused by acts of treason committed by our largest corporations and are largely necessary. But he has done almost nothing to address what got us here and what put us on this road in the first place decades ago. That's what he was primarily elected to do - and he has been a bitter disappointment. But that is a far cry from being the cause of our decline.

Between the stark raving madness of his social agenda (apart from the social safety net) and his ineffectiveness in stemming the tide of our economic decay, Obama was a sure loser in the 2012 election. He's still in office only because he ran in 2012 against the personification of what it is that America suffers from.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:47 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,720,024 times
The so=called "social safety net" is nothing more than an excuse to create dependency classes, which is Obama's and his political ilks' ultimate goal. For whatever reasons we are what we are, you are at least 15 years too late in your blame game. Start with the misnomer "Great Society" if not sooner.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:03 PM

267 posts, read 614,641 times
This entire forum reads like HuffPo. Not surprising most of the people I knew in KC were fiscally far left, and socially far right.

That said, and the article conveniently skirts around this, Johnson County's stats have gone down since the 90s because of the massive influx of poor minorities, in particular in SMSD. And also the terrible state of the economy throughout the U.S. mainland (mainland == not Texas).

Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
This entire forum reads like HuffPo. Not surprising most of the people I knew in KC were fiscally far left, and socially far right.

That said, and the article conveniently skirts around this, Johnson County's stats have gone down since the 90s because of the massive influx of poor minorities, in particular in SMSD. And also the terrible state of the economy throughout the U.S. mainland (mainland == not Texas).
Employers have no need to increase wages when they see the low COL in the region. That is why KC is one of the back office corporate hub capitols of the US. Employers can pay workers lower salaries than they would on the coasts, but keep the HQs and Senior Management in the more desirable locales. Not surprising to me in the least, but I think the trend will accelerate in the future, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if I agree that many are far left fiscally in KC, although it might depend who you associate with. The same would be true with viewpoints on social issues.

It does NOT surprise me about the gradual decline of the SMSD, but I am a bit surprised that those on reduced price lunches are well north of 30%. I won't disclose my age, but I graduated from that district a lifetime ago and there was hardly any diversity at all then. Now, I'm certain that has definitely changed.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,706,777 times
If JoCo was so affluent and desirable, then why are there so few, (if any) post 1990 commercial developments there that are not subsidized by Kansas taxpayers?

And why does the state have to depend so much on KCMO's low fruit of existing companies to even get companies to relocate there even with the ridiculous incentives?

Kansas has one county that "appears" to be economically vibrant, what would JoCo be without the ability to poach and prey off KCMO?

What is going on with the rest of the state? More subsidized sprawl in western KCK. Other than that. Uhh, yea.....urban and rural blight mostly outside a couple of college towns.

Why are taxes so high in such a rural state with very little to offer outside the affluent KC suburban schools? (it's easy to have good schools in an affluent suburban area, they go hand and hand), yet I have been reading that even public education (the one thing KS has going for it) has taken a serious beating in Kansas since Brownback came into play.

Is all the subsized sprawl in outside of 435 in WyCo and JoCo sustainable? How much longer can KS ignore KCK, JoCo inside 435, Topeka, Wichita and rural/small town Kansas before things catch up to it and the state's image is no longer based on what's going on at 135th and Nall?

Yes, I'm still asking these same questions and have been for many years now....

Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
If JoCo was so affluent and desirable, then why are there so few, (if any) post 1990 commercial developments there that are not subsidized by Kansas taxpayers?

And why does the state have to depend so much on KCMO's low fruit of existing companies to even get companies to relocate there even with the ridiculous incentives?

Kansas has one county that "appears" to be economically vibrant, what would JoCo be without the ability to poach and prey off KCMO?

What is going on with the rest of the state? More subsidized sprawl in western KCK. Other than that. Uhh, yea.....urban and rural blight mostly outside a couple of college towns.

Why are taxes so high in such a rural state with very little to offer outside the affluent KC suburban schools? (it's easy to have good schools in an affluent suburban area, they go hand and hand), yet I have been reading that even public education (the one thing KS has going for it) has taken a serious beating in Kansas since Brownback came into play.

Is all the subsized sprawl in outside of 435 in WyCo and JoCo sustainable? How much longer can KS ignore KCK, JoCo inside 435, Topeka, Wichita and rural/small town Kansas before things catch up to it and the state's image is no longer based on what's going on at 135th and Nall?

Yes, I'm still asking these same questions and have been for many years now....
People go where the jobs are and that is where you will find growth- when all necessary factors align more favorably. Also, a HUGE MAJORITY of new population growth this decade is occurring in the larger cities and urban areas instead of suburbs. The trend has been for younger professionals and many others to choose to live closer to work. Far flung suburban areas are getting less popular in many regions of the country, but KC seems to be the exception to the national trend of course along with the widespread urban gentrification trend that has occurred in many other larger cities across the country. Kansas is only growing in population due to the fact that it has a very very high birth rate compared to most states in the country- even with an out-migration of population from the majority of counties in the state. The state also has not seen as much of an energy boom compared to others in the region and that hasn't translated to as much blue collar in-migration to the rural counties. Severe drought and water supply issues put a dent to potential new energy production in the state last year. I actually thought most of JOCO was going to be built out and consumed by sprawl 20 years ago, but I think that trend is slowing down a bit now, although it would probably take a awhile as Olathe needs to become a more established older city with a much older population. The BSNF project in Edgerton will definitely lead to a growth in blue collar demographics and more population growth in SW Johnson County over time- which inherently will lead to even more sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City