Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
I don't think his posts are necessarily against all of KC, they come off more bashing Kansas than anything. While attempting to provide cool information, his posts have serious bias against Kansas, while promoting the exact same things when they happen on the Missouri side instead, and wouldn't be that tolerated on the rest of the CD forums. I have seen the DC forum, and basically zero posts from him. But basically, Missouri good, Kansas bad.

That said, there is an epic amount of internet (and real life) hate for all things Kansas, especially Johnson County, and for no good reason except politics. This one poster isn't alone. In fact, it seems troll users promoting joco are run by missourians for the purpose of argument and to make KS look bad, see op_chuck on reddit for what I mean. While it doesn't have everything, JoCo was able to accomplish an excellent standard of living, in what's considered a very crappy backward state no less, while the city of KCMO fumbles about with expensive pointless projects while completely neglecting the basics. This has caused much jealousy by KCMO and the MO side, and couple that with an equally epic media trend against suburbs and pro city as well nationwide, has made things worse. And, it seems Missouri suburbs get a free pass too when it comes to suburb hate even though they are even more sprawled out and far from the core than many joco areas.
Keep trying.

I do post elsewhere and if you can't find those post, sorry. But I do.

And the DC forum on city data is pretty dead. I prefer places like UrbanTurf and Greater Greater Washington. Citydata is mosly tourist and people looking at moving to DC and very few local DC people tend to post. I do post in the Maryland and VA forums all the time. MD, MD suburbs, Baltimore and VA suburbs. My "DC" area posts are spread across many forums, but I have hundreds of posts in them. Now go cherry pick a post from one of those forums if you like and see if you can make me look bad somehow.

And I'm sorry if you don't know the difference between the MO suburbs and KS suburbs. There is a difference in how they interact with the metro. Kansas side residents just won't admit it. And Missouri does offer more than Kansas. A LOT more. Again, sorry if you can't see that either. It's like saying that New Jersey has as much to offer as New York. No it does not. Or Delaware offers as much as Maryland. It doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I don't think the issue is "Kansas" in the city's name. I think the issue is the city just isn't that well known, so there's nothing that comes to people's minds to trump what "Kansas" brings to mind. Kansas City just isn't as important or well-known to people outside of this region as some people want it to be. I don't think that has anything to do with Kansas. I mean, New York doesn't have that problem. Actually, with NY it's kind of the opposite, people tend to always think instantly of the city rather than the state.
I think a lot of it starts with the Wizard of Oz. It painted Kansas as a black and white, flat farm. I really never thought about how Kansas was perceived by other Americans until I joined the Air Force. Suddenly, people were assuming I was a farmer, asking me why I didn't have a southern accent, assuming I rode a horse, etc. I grew up in OP and never stepped foot onto a farm, so I was confused! And many people don't distinguish between Kansas and Kansas City. They think KC is much smaller than it is. Then add to Kansas' reputation a wacky right-wing religious politics and Fred Phelps, and yes, it's pretty negative.

There's a thread in the General US category where people are posting their fist thoughts on every state in the U.S. and pretty much all of them post something negative for Kansas. KC would be better off without "Kansas" in its name.

That water slide looks insane! Don't think I'd go on it though.

Last edited by denverian; 07-03-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 AM

Couple of recent "negative" DC posts:

This one I actually mention KC as being better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
We really enjoy living in the DC area. But the 4th of July show in DC is a joke and a waste of time. Go to Baltimore, Annapolis or even one of the suburban shows. They will be much easier to get to and will most likely be a better show.

We went to it one year and couldn't be more disappointed. We were looking forward to a world class fireworks display in the nation's capital on the nation's birthday. Other than it being neat to see the fireworks go off behind the Washington Monument, the show couldn't have been more lame. Kansas City puts on much better shows and we were like "that's it?" A million people come down here for this?

I guess you got to see it once, but if you are just going to see the fireworks and you have seen large shows elsewhere, you will be disappointed.
I have criticized KC's streetcar plans, I have done the same in DC.

Quote:
^ that is bascially light rail "lite". I don't see how streetcars will work very well in DC unless they are in separated dedicated lanes. It's the same reasons the buses don't work very well. They get bogged down in traffic. I have seen buses sit in traffic in the same spot for 30-45 minutes from my office. Streetcars seem like a way to say you have rail transit, but can't afford to build anything better. Buses actually work just as well or better than streetcars and are much cheaper.

I just don't get this streetcar fad. Seems like a very expensive way to move a few people a few blocks, but because it's cheaper than light rail, cities are building them and they are going to expect a lot more out of streetcars then they will get.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
All Midwestern states get a bad image from outsiders. I was in Ohio last year and I was parked at one of those little diners and as I was coming out I saw two guys looking at my truck and one said to the other " I would have parked closer to you but that Missouri Hillbilly took the spot " He didn't see my St.Louis Blues sticker on my windshield,all he saw was the MO plate. As far as changing names, I bet a lot of people on the St.Louis board of tourism wish that East St.Louis had a different name. Most people in this country think it's in Missouri.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:52 AM

Ohio? Really? .

Old 07-03-2014, 10:59 AM

131 posts, read 184,936 times
Quote:
Couple of recent "negative" DC posts:

This one I actually mention KC as being better.

I have criticized KC's streetcar plans, I have done the same in DC.
Recently is relative considering you could find the same amount agaist KC from the past week or less in the KC forum. This is not a random complaint almost everyone ive seen on the forum comes around to the same conclusion, its unignorably obvious you're over critical and negarive. Which is sad because its not as if the stuff you say is completely wrong or off base but it gets tiresome to keep hearing that Kansas City doesn't meet "kcmo's magical jogger and park attendance threshold" so it has no walkability and is unvibrant, dead and doomed to failure

Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Yeah, but I didn't notice if they were from Ohio. It was right off the highway and a lot of travelers used that diner as a rest stop.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Yeah, but I didn't notice if they were from Ohio. It was right off the highway and a lot of travelers used that diner as a rest stop.
Well, now Coloradans get pulled over in other states and have their cars searched for pot because we must all have pot in our posession now People love to stereotype other states apparently.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandthom View Post
Recently is relative considering you could find the same amount agaist KC from the past week or less in the KC forum. This is not a random complaint almost everyone ive seen on the forum comes around to the same conclusion, its unignorably obvious you're over critical and negarive. Which is sad because its not as if the stuff you say is completely wrong or off base but it gets tiresome to keep hearing that Kansas City doesn't meet "kcmo's magical jogger and park attendance threshold" so it has no walkability and is unvibrant, dead and doomed to failure
I'll try to tone it down. Don't really mean to come across that way. I do think people get overly defensive though. Maybe I wouldn't post the same things over and over so much if people would just admit to some of the faults I point out and actually post ideas and thoughts on how to improve such scenarios. Like when I mention that KC lacks urban recreation. It absolutely does. I point it out all the time because people respond with denial or that it's fine the way it is. KC could be much better if people would first even accept that it's a problem and then work towards ways to address and then implement a solution. Instead, it's always status quo or we don't want to be like Denver or any other city. So I'm like WTF, why don't you want to develop your plentiful river levees or connect your parks to improve YOUR quality of life and make KC more attractive to new people. I'm not saying KC should do it be like Denver or anybody else.

DC has tons of urban rec, but Baltimore is lacking and people accept that and have decent conversations about how Baltimore could improve and catch up to what DC has done. In KC, it's full blown denial we are fine, we don't need that, stop being an ******* for recommending we do it. It's always been that way in KC so I have probably developed a pretty aggressive way of making my points.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:44 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
I thought this was about the water slide. Which at this point in its construction, looks extremely dangerous. The angle of the drop is way higher than the hill, and the hill is not far enough away from the drop to allow you to really slow down. No wonder their dummies are getting thrown off the top of hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City