Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM

141 posts, read 254,772 times

Advertisements

Im not a Mormon and dont intend to become one. Ive read a little of the history of the Mormon church there in Independence and am wondering how much of a stronghold they have on the city.

Would you say they have a lot of influence? Are the general values more conservative due to the Mormon presence or not so much? Are there polygamists like in Utah or something? More censorship? More guys in suits riding on bikes or showing up at my door? Lol

Im mostly just curious. Here in Springfield we have the headquarters of both the Assembly of God and Baptist Bible Fellowship denominations. They are both on the extreme conservative end so it does affect the town. Even if you do not belong to these churches you may come in contact with them and their evangelizing or at least be affected by what they value. It can be good in some ways. You also may end up with doctors, dentists and teachers that share these faiths.

Do the Mormons generally send their kids to the public schools or do they have their own private ones? A lot of Mormon homeschoolers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 12:46 PM

6,784 posts, read 11,419,713 times
Are you confusing the Mormons with the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints (RLDS), now known as The Community of Christ? I don't claim very much knowledge of either group, but they are two entirely separate organizations.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,725,398 times
I have never "lived" in the heart of Independence where the Temple is, but it sure seems like the church has very little impact on the residents of the city, politics etc. I think it's more of a national destination than something that most people in Independence really get into. I could be wrong, but they seem rather quiet in the community. If you are in the church, you may think different, but if you are not, you barely know they are there outside of their large structures (temple and auditorium). I know for a fact it's not like the mormans have a stronghold on the city like they do in Utah or or something. Like Okey mentioned, not even the same church.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Are you confusing the Mormons with the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints (RLDS), now known as The Community of Christ? I don't claim very much knowledge of either group, but they are two entirely separate organizations.
Are they not considered Mormon? I guess I need to read up a little more. I read that Joseph Smith declared the city of Independence as "Zion" and that after being run off his son came back and started the reorganized group, that came to be called "the community of Christ". That's a very brief summary, lol but are they a lot different?

Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have never "lived" in the heart of Independence where the Temple is, but it sure seems like the church has very little impact on the residents of the city, politics etc. I think it's more of a national destination than something that most people in Independence really get into. I could be wrong, but they seem rather quiet in the community. If you are in the church, you may think different, but if you are not, you barely know they are there outside of their large structures (temple and auditorium). I know for a fact it's not like the mormans have a stronghold on the city like they do in Utah or or something. Like Okey mentioned, not even the same church.
Okay, well that's good to know.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,695,666 times
I am not affiliated with any church.

Both the Community of Christ church (formerly the Reorganized LDS) headquartered in Independence and the LDS Mormon Church headquartered in Salt Lake City claim Joseph Smith as their founder. As do several other split offs from the Mormon Church, which are also headquartered in Independence.

The Mormons were ran out of Independence around 1834 and ended up in northwest Missouri. They had to give up the famous Temple Lot (two acres) and what is known as the Greater Temple Lot (around 65 acres). From their relocation in northwest Missouri, they were run out of the state of Missouri by Independence's own Lilburn W. Boggs, governor of Missouri, who signed a State Militia order to expel them from the state or exterminate them.

They fled into Illinois where Joseph Smith was killed by a mob and then they left Illinois heading west to get out of the United States to Mexico (Utah). During the trek west, at Lamoni, Iowa, the RLDS followers split from Brigham Young's group and then later relocated back to Independence and tried to reclaim the Temple Lot but the Church of Christ (Temple Lot), another LDS split off, got there first. That church still owns the Temple Lot and refuses to give it up. The RLDS were able to gain control of most of the Greater Temple Lot.

In the late 1800s the RLDS lost a US Supreme Court case to take control of the Temple Lot.

When I was a teenager in the 50s there were lots of accusations that the RLDS church was running the city--and there could very well have been some truth to that. I think that sentiment has since died out although the Community of Christ church still has a huge presence in the city.

The Mormons also were able to gain control of a portion of the Greater Temple Lot.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:10 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,718,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemonkeys View Post
That's a very brief summary, lol but are they a lot different?
They are actually vastly different. The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (now known as the Community of Christ) split off from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, just like the Lutheran Church split off from the Roman Catholic Church. In both instances, you're talking about two totally different churches.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:36 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,725,398 times
I will never understand religion.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I am not affiliated with any church.

Both the Community of Christ church (formerly the Reorganized LDS) headquartered in Independence and the LDS Mormon Church headquartered in Salt Lake City claim Joseph Smith as their founder. As do several other split offs from the Mormon Church, which are also headquartered in Independence.

The Mormons were ran out of Independence around 1834 and ended up in northwest Missouri. They had to give up the famous Temple Lot (two acres) and what is known as the Greater Temple Lot (around 65 acres). From their relocation in northwest Missouri, they were run out of the state of Missouri by Independence's own Lilburn W. Boggs, governor of Missouri, who signed a State Militia order to expel them from the state or exterminate them.

They fled into Illinois where Joseph Smith was killed by a mob and then they left Illinois heading west to get out of the United States to Mexico (Utah). During the trek west, at Lamoni, Iowa, the RLDS followers split from Brigham Young's group and then later relocated back to Independence and tried to reclaim the Temple Lot but the Church of Christ (Temple Lot), another LDS split off, got there first. That church still owns the Temple Lot and refuses to give it up. The RLDS were able to gain control of most of the Greater Temple Lot.

In the late 1800s the RLDS lost a US Supreme Court case to take control of the Temple Lot.

When I was a teenager in the 50s there were lots of accusations that the RLDS church was running the city--and there could very well have been some truth to that. I think that sentiment has since died out although the Community of Christ church still has a huge presence in the city.

The Mormons also were able to gain control of a portion of the Greater Temple Lot.
Fascinating information, thank you.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
They are actually vastly different. The Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (now known as the Community of Christ) split off from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, just like the Lutheran Church split off from the Roman Catholic Church. In both instances, you're talking about two totally different churches.
I read this and decided to check out what the Wikipedia has to say. They make the Community of Christ sound sort of like a New Age Mormon Light, lol. Like Mormonism mixed with the Unity Church or something. Apparently at some time they ordained gay and lesbian ministers. Nope, doesnt sound at all like the type of Mormonism I have heard about elsewhere, lol. All very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City