U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 11,761,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Kind of sad. Metcalf South was THE mall in the early to mid-70s. When I was in high school I made trips to Metcalf South to look for prom dresses, a graduation dress, clothes to wear to concerts. I liked it better than Oak Park. I wonder if Oak Park had never been built if Metcalf South would have continued to flourish?

I like the music at Metcalf South MUCH better than the music at Oak Park! I forgot about County Seat! (the store). Loved that place!

Metcalf South and Oak Park Mall - YouTube
I bet Oak Park is really what killed Metcalf South. I've never seen two malls that close to each other in any other city. Considering how busy 95th and Metcalf is, and how "in the middle of things" it is, I'm sure the land could be used in some other way for retail development. It just needs different things than Oak Park, so they don't compete. Maybe something more like the P&L development downtown, with stores, but more entertainment.

I remember the County Seat, and up on the top level, hearing the organ playing in that organ shop. Down on the bottom level, there was some hobby shop I loved as a boy (bought things for my model train set there), and wasn't there a TG&Y down there at one time? Often on Sundays, we'd have our weekly meal out at a Chinese restaurant on that bottom level, or the Putsch's Cafeteria. That cafeteria was old school, with an organ player lol! I also would always ask for pennies to toss out into that three story fountain with the trays, but then I'd have nightmares that the rails were gone and the floors were tilting, causing me to slide toward the edge and fall down toward the fountain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveTransplant View Post
My first thought was "The Great Mall isn't quite there yet, is it?" But deadmalls.com defines "dead mall" as having a decline at 70% or less, and it probably qualifies under that definition. There are a good number of stores still open there; my wife and I walked around a couple weeks ago. I did see a sign on the door saying that they would be closing an hour earlier every night from then on, which is never a good sign. It's also probably not a good sign how many of its tenants aren't traditional stores (the DMV, a church, at least two museums, just going off the top of my head).
I stayed at the Holiday Inn by that mall last summer and noticed weeds growing through cracks in the parking lot, so I didn't even bother going in.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmama View Post
It makes me kind of sad. Call me crazy, but I have always liked the mid-century architecture of Metcalf South. As far as malls go, it actually looks pretty cool. I always wished they would find a way to keep it going. I realize that enclosed malls are going away, but with our climate, we kind of need to keep some enclosed shopping centers around here! Oakpark is really all we have left.
I think indoor malls are here to stay, just not as many of them. Here in Denver, the metro area (about 3 million people) now only has 4 traditional malls left, but they all do well. I know of 6 malls in metro Denver that were torn down and redeveloped into outdoor shopping districts, and they all do very well now. Same thing will probably happen to Metcalf South, but I admit I'd like to tour it one last time, just to remember something from my childhood in the 70s/80s.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I was surprised to see that it opened in 1967. I would have guessed closer to 1960 simply because I remember first shopping there in '76 and it seemed quite dated even then. Of course, that was compared to the brand new Oak Park. Interesting that those few years between them made such a difference, with Oak Park feeling so much more modern.

I suppose Metcalf South has been dying a slow death for most of the years that Oak Park overshadowed it, kinda like Crossroads in Omaha....whose death knell was Westroads, built just a few years later.
Yeah, I would have thought Metcalf South was older. I can barely remember, as a little kid, going to Oak Park when it was brand new. And their jingle: "Great things are growing on in our park, Oak. Park. Mall!"

Old 02-05-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I went to Oak Park one night just before Christmas. It was a madhouse. I'm sure Christmas was a big reason, but as I was going in, I noticed that groups of late teens/early 20s were arriving and groups of late teens/early 20s hanging out inside. That was the first time I had actually gone INTO the mall for a long time. Usually if I go to Oak Park I just stick with Penney's because it's on one end and I can go straight into the store without having to traverse my way through the mall to get to it. I'd go to Macy's on the other end if there weren't a Macy's in Prairie Village that is easier to get to. I don't like enclosed malls so I stick to the periphery if I have to go. At Christmas, though, I had to go to a specific store inside the mall for a gift.
I was an Oak Park Mall rat in the mid 80s lol! We'd either go to the movies, or hang out for hours at the arcade right across from the movies. Then get some popcorn from Topsies or candy from Morrow's Nut House.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Status: "Collector of 80s New Wave Music" (set 23 days ago)

15,079 posts, read 20,221,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I bet Oak Park is really what killed Metcalf South. I've never seen two malls that close to each other in any other city. Considering how busy 95th and Metcalf is, and how "in the middle of things" it is, I'm sure the land could be used in some other way for retail development. It just needs different things than Oak Park, so they don't compete. Maybe something more like the P&L development downtown, with stores, but more entertainment.

I remember the County Seat, and up on the top level, hearing the organ playing in that organ shop. Down on the bottom level, there was some hobby shop I loved as a boy (bought things for my model train set there), and wasn't there a TG&Y down there at one time? Often on Sundays, we'd have our weekly meal out at a Chinese restaurant on that bottom level, or the Putsch's Cafeteria. That cafeteria was old school, with an organ player lol! I also would always ask for pennies to toss out into that three story fountain with the trays, but then I'd have nightmares that the rails were gone and the floors were tilting, causing me to slide toward the edge and fall down toward the fountain

Yes, I do recall many of those items, particularly that fountain. Metcalf South went into severe decline after the early 90s, although it was declining before then. The old Glenwood theatre was across the road with the iconic signage and illuminated ball. I don't think that finally closed until 15-20 years ago and the original sign display was saved. That entire land is comprised of another strip mall and a Whole Foods

Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM

8,356 posts, read 6,730,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, I do recall many of those items, particularly that fountain. Metcalf South went into severe decline after the early 90s, although it was declining before then. The old Glenwood theatre was across the road with the iconic signage and illuminated ball. I don't think that finally closed until 15-20 years ago and the original sign display was saved. That entire land is comprised of another strip mall and a Whole Foods
Your memory fails you. The Glenwood Theater wasn't "across the road" from Metcalf South. It was always at 91st and Metcalf and you couldn't even see it from Metcalf South. The sign for Glenwood Theater is now at Metcalf South. My first date was seeing Tommy at the Glenwood.

Edit: Okay, now my memory fails me. It couldn't have been my first date because the movie came out in 1975. But I did go on a date to see Tommy at Glenwood Theater.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Status: "Collector of 80s New Wave Music" (set 23 days ago)

15,079 posts, read 20,221,827 times
Quote:
Your memory fails you. The Glenwood Theater wasn't "across the road" from Metcalf South. It was always at 91st and Metcalf and you couldn't even see it from Metcalf South. The sign for Glenwood Theater is now at Metcalf South. My first date was seeing Tommy at the Glenwood.

Edit: Okay, now my memory fails me. It couldn't have been my first date because the movie came out in 1975. But I did go on a date to see Tommy at Glenwood Theater.
91st and Metcalf, that is correct. I meant to indicate that it was on the west side of the road while Metcalf South was on the east side of the road. I probably got it confused because we always came west on 91st street to cut over to 95st to go west to visit some family over off Lowell Ave south of 95th.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:06 PM

2,093 posts, read 2,587,676 times
Well, now that we're talking about 95th and Metcalf, how about the French Market with the giant slide? Or am I too old for you guys?
K-mart, which took over the FM space, recently closed.

My family stayed at the Glenwood Manor hotel when we moved to Kansas City in 1968 when it was considered "the finest" in Johnson County. I also spent my wedding night with the first Mr. Dokie there.

In the early 80s they had a pretty good bar/dance place there, but I cannot remember the name to save my soul. I was between Dokies then. I kind of rotated between there and the bar at the top of the Ramada Inn at 87th and Overland Parkway.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Well, now that we're talking about 95th and Metcalf, how about the French Market with the giant slide? Or am I too old for you guys?
K-mart, which took over the FM space, recently closed.

My family stayed at the Glenwood Manor hotel when we moved to Kansas City in 1968 when it was considered "the finest" in Johnson County. I also spent my wedding night with the first Mr. Dokie there.

In the early 80s they had a pretty good bar/dance place there, but I cannot remember the name to save my soul. I was between Dokies then. I kind of rotated between there and the bar at the top of the Ramada Inn at 87th and Overland Parkway.
I'm not old enough to remember the French Market. It was always K-mart to me, but I'll never forget the odd architecture. Or the shopping carts rolling down the hill, crashing into cars. Same with the K-mart at Antioch and SM Pkwy, although in opposite direction. I remember when those two stores got the special carts with the brakes. There was a blue handle you had to squeeze to make the cart move lol!

So what are they doing with that area since K-mart closed? I get the feeling K-mart is a dying brand. I don't even know where one is here in Denver. And remember Venture on the SW corner of 95th and Metcalf? I think it closed in the late '80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City