Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 7,138 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Kansas City, MO. My job has offered a relocation opportunity in the area. The job would be based in Topeka but I am willing to commute just to be in or near an urban center. The 1 hour commute each way does not trouble me.

I am in my mid-to-late 30's. I am a gay man that has been in a loving committed relationship for over a decade. We would both be relocating to the area. We both have lived the majority of our adult lives in Philadelphia and currently live in the New York City Metro Area.

We are looking for a safe area where we can find restaurants and shops to walk to nearby. A dog park near would be fantastic as we have a small dog. Having a gay or gay-friendly bar near would be great but not a must. We do not frequent gay bars as much.

Easy access to I-70 would be great. I have been trying to do my homework online but it is hard to get a real perspective on areas. Quality Hill/downtown area, the Plaza and Midtown-Westport seem like possible places with accessible parking. I am open to suggestions since I am not as familiar with the area.

At the moment we are looking for a rental property, an urban town home with a small back yard or a condo with amenities would be perfect in a gay-friendly neighborhood.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Have a great day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 08:11 AM

639 posts, read 759,722 times
Any of those places you mentioned in the city would be fine for a gay couple, plenty to do and comfortable feeling to live in.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 AM

709 posts, read 1,484,616 times
I think Union Hill sounds like it could be a great match. Very gay-friendly neighborhood with urban town homes (though I'm not sure if many of them have back yards) and close to a dog park at Penn Valley Park.

If you want a condo with amenities, Downtown, River Market, Crossroads and the Plaza would be places to look.

If you want to have a small yard, then your best bet may be to rent a house in Volker or West Plaza.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 AM

6,803 posts, read 11,453,626 times
I'm going to splash just a little cold water here....I know you said you didn't mind an hour commute, but that's on a perfect weather day and probably living and working with close access to I-70. Have you given any thought to living in Lawrence?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I'm going to splash just a little cold water here....I know you said you didn't mind an hour commute, but that's on a perfect weather day and probably living and working with close access to I-70. Have you given any thought to living in Lawrence?
Thanks everyone for the input and the cold water.

I realize I should probably close to I70 when making a choice were to live. The Market Place area seems promising as well. I have been to Lawrence and it is a nice town but concern that it would make it harder for my significant other to find work.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,376,669 times
You'd be fine as a gay couple, but that commute will really, really suck. Particularly in winter.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM

if you're going to working in the metro KC area, I would stay in the metro area, commutes here can get old with winter weather. Rush hour traffic is like rush hour anywhere really and winter weather, accidents can compound time sitting in a a car.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:14 PM

He said in the OP that the job is based in Topeka. I personally wouldn't live in KC and work in Topeka unless significant telecommuting were in the cards. Just me.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:00 PM

OH, missed that, if working in Topeka then probably should consider Lawrence, commute to downtown KC from Topeka would get old for me, but maybe not for people used to 1 + hour commutes each way.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:05 PM

The distance wouldn't be such a big factor for me as the fact that it's a big open plain that gets harrowing in bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City