Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:22 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That means there are a lot of KU fans and alumi, which makes sense since Kansas City is 45 minutes from KU. Mizzou is three hours away, but I still see a lot of Mizzou stuff. It just depends where you go. Since MU isn't in a conference anymore that encompasses this area, maybe they are doing their advertising in the area where they DO have their conference.

I don't see a lot of K-State stuff, either, in Kansas City. Some, but not as much as KU. Again, you can attribute that to the fact that K-State isn't 45 minutes away like KU is, and their fans and alums aren't largely congregated in the Kansas City area.
Yes, but you have to admit, KU fans flaunt and often quite excessively. They need to make it known to most around them that they are in fact KU fans (even if they didn't go there and especially if they are doing something on the MO side of KC (worlds of fun, royals game, car show etc). There are several other states like Kansas such as Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama and Nebraska where people are the same way.

This doesn't mean that there are less MU fans out there. They are there, they are just not walking and driving billboards like many KU fans are (percentage wise). They come out for games etc though and often in bigger numbers than KU fans do.

Overall, Missouri is more like Maryland or Colorado where you will see as much or more pro sports apparel on campus than the actual school apparel and you seen very little college apparel or car stickers off campus or away from sporting events. StL is a huge MIZZOU town, but you rarely see people wearing MU stuff or MU things on cars there compared to KU in the KC area. You see more Cards and Blues etc.

I have many Kansas friends on facebook and most of them are wearing something KU in a large portion of the photos they post no matter where they are and especially when they travel.

Kansas is a state that is obsessed with college sports. Like I said it's like the southern states or Nebraska in that regard. It's not a insult it's just the way the state is. It has a great college basketball tradition, I get that. I just think they should leave the KU apparel at home for Royals and Chiefs games (as well as the lesser amount of MU fans that do the same), but they don't and that's just part of KC's culture.

The KU stuff at ballgames is just a pet peeve of mine being a long time die hard Royals fan, I have just always found it annoying that KU fans need to do that (and not all of them do). But at least they are at the games. God knows the Royals need the fans even if those don't think the team is worthy of the correct jersey or ball cap. But that's not near as annoying at "Royals" fans that travel to away games dressed in KU stuff. We see that all the time and that is just plain silly. To each their own I guess.

Last edited by kcmo; 07-07-2014 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM

638 posts, read 623,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
There's nothing wrong with Kansas City being the city it is. Big cities often aren't state-centric anyway. They often have their own unique identities not strongly tied to the state they're in as a whole. There's really no issue here. If thinks were different and Kansas City were infused much more with Missouri, people would be complaining about that, about the hillbilly association, Southern influence, evangelical Christians, slavery, etc.
And I hate it when Kansas City is associated with Dorothy, Kansas extremism, and the Westboro Baptist Church.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yes, but you have to admit, KU fans flaunt and often quite excessively. They need to make it known to most around them that they are in fact KU fans (even if they didn't go there and especially if they are doing something on the MO side of KC (worlds of fun, royals game, car show etc). There are several other states like Kansas such as Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama and Nebraska where people are the same way.

This doesn't mean that there are less MU fans out there. They are there, they are just not walking and driving billboards like many KU fans are (percentage wise). They come out for games etc though and often in bigger numbers than KU fans do.

Overall, Missouri is more like Maryland or Colorado where you will see as much or more pro sports apparel on campus than the actual school apparel and you seen very little college apparel or car stickers off campus or away from sporting events. StL is a huge MIZZOU town, but you rarely see people wearing MU stuff or MU things on cars there compared to KU in the KC area. You see more Cards and Blues etc.

I have many Kansas friends on facebook and most of them are wearing something KU in a large portion of the photos they post no matter where they are and especially when they travel.

Kansas is a state that is obsessed with college sports. Like I said it's like the southern states or Nebraska in that regard. It's not a insult it's just the way the state is. It has a great college basketball tradition, I get that. I just think they should leave the KU apparel at home for Royals and Chiefs games (as well as the lesser amount of MU fans that do the same), but they don't and that's just part of KC's culture.

The KU stuff at ballgames is just a pet peeve of mine being a long time die hard Royals fan, I have just always found it annoying that KU fans need to do that (and not all of them do). But at least they are at the games. God knows the Royals need the fans even if those don't think the team is worthy of the correct jersey or ball cap. But that's not near as annoying at "Royals" fans that travel to away games dressed in KU stuff. We see that all the time and that is just plain silly. To each their own I guess.
Honestly, this sounds like a personal problem to me. kcmo has the same pet peeve, so it's a personal problem to him too. I would say KU fans sometimes wear KU shirts to Royals games because it's the same color as Royals shirts. And again I would say you see more KU gear because KU is 45 minutes from KC and there are a large number of KU students, KU alums, and KU fans in the area. Nothing wrong with that. The fact that you think KU fans "flaunt' it hints that you are jealous. Otherwise, why would you even care? I don't even think twice when I see someone wearing a college shirt, KU or otherwise - and yes, I do see other college shirts, hats, flags, etc. I don't think someone should have to think to take off their KU gear before crossing into Missouri, as if Missouri is some sacred land where KU stuff shouldn't be seen. Are you kidding me? I see Missouri shirts, hats, etc. in Kansas, for sale and being worn. It doesn't offend me at all.

It does bother me when a KU fan (not alum) shows their ignorance by saying or writing "Rock Chalk Jayhawks." It's Rock Chalk JAYHAWK - no s.

The fact that you have a problem with people wearing college gear when to you they "should" be wearing pro baseball or football gear is just silly and again is a personal problem. Some people like college sports more than they like professional sports. That's their prerogative and to act as if they are doing something wrong wearing a college T-shirt is just ridiculous.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:17 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
^ it is a personal pet peeve. Nothing more. I'm a Royals fan and a MLB fan, I'm not a KU fan and a very passive MU fan. I go to 10-15 Washington Nationals games a year and you see pretty much nothing but MLB stuff. Sometimes it's more Philly fans than DC, but at least they are baseball fans. You almost never see Maryland or Virginia college stuff. I guess Royals shirts are expensive for Kansans. And Kansas is obsessed with college sports like the other states I mentioned. Pretty hard to deny that.

So we can get back to the original topic which does actually affect the way the KC area evolves and competes into the future. But I doubt if too many on the KS side will discuss those issues, they never do.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
At first I thought this thread was a joke, but there are some good points given.

I'm a Kansas native and live in Lawrence, so I'll pipe in. I have only lived here about a year, so take that into consideration. I can be in the KC metro in 30 minutes, Kansas side, Missouri side in 45 minutes. In fact we go about once a month. When I lived in Topeka we'd only go a few times a year. Whether people like it or not Lawrence is almost part of the KC metro, so it's not surprising that KU advertises there, even in Missouri. I see advertisements for Missouri schools and businesses all the time on tv, that doesn't surprise me and I don't feel like I'm being invaded... KC is a unique city being right on the border, KCK has exploded population wise in recent years and it's no longer a crap hole, that doesn't mean it's taking over the whole region, but not to expect some influences from it is unrealistic. I'd also say most people that live in Johnson County are probably transplants, and we all know what transplants think of when someone mentions Kansas City, I'll give a hint, it's not Missouri.

When I travel, occasionally people ask where I'm from, so I tell them Kansas, first thing 90% of them say is, oh Kansas City, and I say no... thats in Missouri, or I just say no to not make things complicated. They should have changed the name to Missouri City or something when Kansas became a state, but they didn't, so we are stuck with a complicated name.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Honestly, this sounds like a personal problem to me. kcmo has the same pet peeve, so it's a personal problem to him too. I would say KU fans sometimes wear KU shirts to Royals games because it's the same color as Royals shirts. And again I would say you see more KU gear because KU is 45 minutes from KC and there are a large number of KU students, KU alums, and KU fans in the area. Nothing wrong with that. The fact that you think KU fans "flaunt' it hints that you are jealous. Otherwise, why would you even care? I don't even think twice when I see someone wearing a college shirt, KU or otherwise - and yes, I do see other college shirts, hats, flags, etc. I don't think someone should have to think to take off their KU gear before crossing into Missouri, as if Missouri is some sacred land where KU stuff shouldn't be seen. Are you kidding me? I see Missouri shirts, hats, etc. in Kansas, for sale and being worn. It doesn't offend me at all.

It does bother me when a KU fan (not alum) shows their ignorance by saying or writing "Rock Chalk Jayhawks." It's Rock Chalk JAYHAWK - no s.

The fact that you have a problem with people wearing college gear when to you they "should" be wearing pro baseball or football gear is just silly and again is a personal problem. Some people like college sports more than they like professional sports. That's their prerogative and to act as if they are doing something wrong wearing a college T-shirt is just ridiculous.
I don't know. I graduated from KU and I think the KU garb thing is rather excessive. No one in my family even went to college, and they all wear KU shirts and hats. I've had friends fly into Denver from KC and they usually come to Denver with a Jayhawk somewhere on them. Like they have a chip on their shoulder or something. Why are people in their 40s wearing college logos?? I also have multiple people in my neighborhood who moved here from Kansas and they have, somewhere in their landscaping, a Jayhawk. It's just weird!

OTOH, I noticed the same thing in Portland with the University of Oregon sportswear. So it's not a unique issue with KU. Maybe it's just colleges that have silly birds as their mascots

Old 07-07-2014, 01:05 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
And I hate it when Kansas City is associated with Dorothy, Kansas extremism, and the Westboro Baptist Church.
Those are my personal pet peeves too! I used to wish the W of O was set in Oklahoma, just so I din't have to hear "Say hello to Dorothy and Toto" when I'd go back to KC. And that one REALLY must be annoying when you're from KCMO!

Old 07-07-2014, 01:57 PM

638 posts, read 623,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Those are my personal pet peeves too! I used to wish the W of O was set in Oklahoma, just so I din't have to hear "Say hello to Dorothy and Toto" when I'd go back to KC. And that one REALLY must be annoying when you're from KCMO!
I kind of feel bad for regular people from Kansas (especially Topeka) because of the WBC. I have rarely, rarely seen it associated with KC, but when it is

Old 07-07-2014, 01:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

When I travel, occasionally people ask where I'm from, so I tell them Kansas, first thing 90% of them say is, oh Kansas City, and I say no... thats in Missouri, or I just say no to not make things complicated. They should have changed the name to Missouri City or something when Kansas became a state, but they didn't, so we are stuck with a complicated name.
Actually, I'm surprised a lot of times when I say I'm from Kansas City and people ask "on the Kansas or the Missouri side?" A lot of people DO know that the Kansas City metro encompasses two states.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:13 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm surprised a lot of times when I say I'm from Kansas City and people ask "on the Kansas or the Missouri side?" A lot of people DO know that the Kansas City metro encompasses two states.
Maybe in the midwest, but most people from my experience know nothing or close to nothing about Kansas or Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City