Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 AM

404 posts, read 457,148 times

Advertisements

About the name change. How about Westport, Missouri? I have always thought that would be a nice name instead of Kansas City. Kansas makes the city sound boring and uninteresting to most people and Westport might help separate the Kansas image from the city that is not even in Kansas.

Wesport Chiefs and Westport Royals and Westport Wizards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
It's impossible to tell where you're from. My guess is that you're using Google Translate to produce the English text for your posts. It's not just style or typos, it's constant mis-use. I understand that some people don't type well, or write well, but I've never seen mistakes like this anywhere. "For my gosh?" Why do you start every other sentence with the word "for"? Some of your sentences sound like the words have been randomly jumbled.

Even when you're in the middle of responding to a complaint about your English you can't take care enough to use it correctly? The only explanation is that you don't know how. Again, if this is the case it's perfectly ok, as long as you're honest about it.

Please just be honest from the outset, and we can have a more productive discussion.
For some of us shall be for wanting of the appearance to be local

Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
About the name change. How about Westport, Missouri? I have always thought that would be a nice name instead of Kansas City. Kansas makes the city sound boring and uninteresting to most people and Westport might help separate the Kansas image from the city that is not even in Kansas.

Although I'm not sold on the idea of changing the name, Westport would get my vote.

For those who don't know this, Westport was originally a distinct town, and is arguably older than Kansas City. It served as a trading post for about 20 years before the "Town of Kansas" was founded 3 miles to the north, as a Missouri River port. But before it was incorporated as such, the spot was called "Westport's Landing". So if the founders had either kept that name, or if Westport had grown faster than the eventual Kansas City did, our city might have been called Westport anyway.

The only tricky thing, apart from the predictable hassle, is figuring out something else to call the Westport district.

P.S. If we really wanted to raise the PR bar, and leech off the success of others, may I suggest WESTPORTLAND.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I would say this is mostly the case. In my case, hundreds if times. I have now worked in the same office for almost five years and only a few people (those closest to me) say Kansas City when they mention where I'm from etc. The rest say Kansas and it's taken several years for those that are closest to me to say Kansas City or Missouri because I correct them often, but not always. Often when somebody asks how was "Kansas" when they know I went home or when are you going back to Kansas, I will just go long with it.

Sometimes it's short for Kansas City (they still don't really know where it's at) and sometimes they mean the state of Kansas. Doesn't really matter. It's annoying, but I would say I blow it off at least half the time or just quickly say "it's missouri" and move on.

Have seen the wife, kids and friends from KC all do the same thing. And like I have said many times, I never have anything negative to say about Kansas, I just mention that the "city" is on the Missouri side and that I am from the Missouri side. The most I'll say is that the there are suburbs in both MO and KS and the KS side is pretty much all suburban.
That ALWAYS annoyed me. Because when they would just say "Kansas", it implied that I just came back from a farm, and I've never lived anywhere rural in my life.

At this point in my life, most people seem to think I'm from California since I lived there for 12 years prior to coming to Denver (and have been in Denver 9). I know very few people in the KC area anymore, so travel there less and less.

One funny story though. Once I was flying to KC (from CA, I think) and a flight attendant with a NY accent began the flight by saying over the intercom, "Welcome to flight ### traveling to Kansas". Later in the flight, "We will be arriving in Kansas shortly", and finally, "Welcome to Kansas". People on the airplane started yelling, "You're in Missouri!" lol! And I heard one flight attendent say to another one on my way off the plane, "Let her know the airport here is in Missouri and the destination should be referred to as Kansas City. Apparently people here are easily angered" lol!

Old 07-08-2014, 09:42 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
Don't blame the Missourians for being Cardinal fans. The Cardinals have been around much longer, and the games aired on KMOX. You'll find a lot of Cardinal fans in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana too.

The thread started all wrong. Clearly the original poster's hatred of KU is clouding his or her judgment. At heart is the issue of the Kansas City metro working together for the greater good. The University of Kansas and its jobs and research is part of that greater good, on both sides of the state line. A name change is cosmetic. Attitude runs deep. The metro area doesn't work for the greater good as much as it should. The lunatics are running the asylum in each state legislature, so I don't want to see Kansas City be more of one or the other. I don't think Kansas City makes much of an effort to promote itself outside the region either, but that's another argument for another day.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 AM

684 posts, read 791,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post

Any name change whatsoever would bring better national exposure and recognition unto this area. Even, just considering to change the name would do so. Just so long as it begins with something that does not say Kansas, and ends with Missouri. As for suburbs, Lees Summit is my favorite. And so who knows? Maybe would could coalesce with a suburb.

I have developed lots of bad forum habits and etiquette over the years being in sports forums. To where they have no etiquette at all. And so I do apologize if any of my statements and my post were just poorly pounded out in a rash and hastily manner. I do feel bad. Especially, that it is now starting to get a lot of attention.

Last edited by Truly Missouri; 07-08-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
Don't blame the Missourians for being Cardinal fans. The Cardinals have been around much longer, and the games aired on KMOX. You'll find a lot of Cardinal fans in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana too.

The thread started all wrong. Clearly the original poster's hatred of KU is clouding his or her judgment. At heart is the issue of the Kansas City metro working together for the greater good. The University of Kansas and its jobs and research is part of that greater good, on both sides of the state line. A name change is cosmetic. Attitude runs deep. The metro area doesn't work for the greater good as much as it should. The lunatics are running the asylum in each state legislature, so I don't want to see Kansas City be more of one or the other. I don't think Kansas City makes much of an effort to promote itself outside the region either, but that's another argument for another day.

One point everyone is missing is that Cardinals have a minor league team in Springfield MO. Creating more of a fan base in that entire area. And yes. Sadly I was ranting a lot about KU. But it was perhaps, the pet peeves of what they were doing and/or what this city was allowing them to do which brought all of this to my attention. And so I created this topic of conversation in which many others may agree with me.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
If the name were changed to something Missouri-specific, that would probably do more to harm bi-state cooperation. So how about something that implies and encourages unity? My suggestion:

KANSOURI

Who's with me?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
If the name were changed to something Missouri-specific, that would probably do more to harm bi-state cooperation. So how about something that implies and encourages unity? My suggestion:

KANSOURI

Who's with me?

I'm working on another rant list as we speak!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:26 AM

404 posts, read 457,148 times
Quote:

KANSOURI

Who's with me?
Why bother trying to work with the Kansas side though? Where has that gotten KC? Kc Missouri should do what the Kansas side has always done and do what needs to be done to better themselves and not worry about the metro. It's too bad that the area won't work together and be one place because that's the only way to have good transit and community spirit, but I have seen how KC has changed over the past generation and it's probably time for the Missouri side to stop taking such a beating while "waiting for cooperation" from the Kansas side. KcMO is stronger than that.

Is there any reason the Missouri side can't just go at it alone? The MO side used to be much larger than the KS side. Growing up in KC, most companies were downtown or in the city somewhere. Now so much is in the southland kansas suburbs. I don't think the city can't let too many more businesses go to Kansas or wait much longer to develop better bus and rail systems. IT's better to funtion as a smaller better functioning city with just the MO side than wait for both sides to get along which may never happen.

Edit:

I don't mean to sudgest that KC metro not work together, but from the day they started developing things south of 95th, the mentality of the KS side seemed to change from US as in metropolitan to Me Me Me for the Kansas side. At some point, the MO side has to play hard ball and hope the Kansas side will just join back in at a later date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City