Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 PM

10 posts, read 24,633 times

Advertisements

Okay. Much more shopping available than I thought! Independence Mall appears quite nice and those Summit Fair and Summit Woods malls also appear to have plenty. We chose to live out by the water, so driving to malls is not a big deal so long as it's within 15-20 minutes.

I guess they are building a super walmart at Raintree, that's what the realtor says, so that will be close for the basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 09:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
There's also a Super Walmart on 291 in the main business district of Lee's Summit.

Independence Center is okay. As an enclosed mall, it's not really on the cutting edge of anything, and I never found it to be outstanding, but there are a lot of outlying merchants in that same area, adjacent to the mall, that are useful. Costco is on the other side of the highway, there is a World Market, a Half Price Books, David's Bridal/formalwear shop, a bunch of other stores in those veins in nearby strip malls.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,830 times
Burns & Mac?

I was going to suggest Raymore or Pleasant Hill for what you are looking for. You have all your basics in the Raymore/Belton area and Summit Fair in Lee's Summit is only 15 minutes away. Plus you're that much closer to the Ozarks. Quite a few people at the major employers along Ward Parkway live in that area. Raintree is also an excellent choice, though. I think it's all in the RayPec district though, not LS. Both are good school districts.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:20 PM

10 posts, read 24,633 times
Thanks SOOO MUCH for all the information about Kansas City!!! We are really liking this area. I guess we will be making trips to the OZarks too.

We are in Jackson County and the high school is Lee's Summit West.

Does anybody know which way is less congested into Kansas City from Raintree? It looks like I-49 and I-470 are about the same distance.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I generally used 470 for the years I was making much the same commute as you. It's typically not congested unless there is a wreck or construction. Traffic in KC is overall pretty minimal.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 PM

If you are driving during peak hours, I'd take 150 to 49. It gives you more options for where you are going before you are committed to a route. Wrecks in and around the Grandview Triangle (49/71 and 470/435 interchange) can really back you up and once you are there you are stuck. If you take 150 you can continue on that to State Line if need be, or take 49 all the way up to Banister. I go through the triangle daily, but take 435 a little further west than you will. I have a friend that drives from Pleasant Hill to the same area as you and swears by 49 to Banister to Wornall.

150 highway can be a pain in the morning, but seems to be a lot better in the evenings. The fact is you have about 4 different routes that aren't more than a few minutes apart. You'll have time to try them all out.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:00 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedro View Post
If you are driving during peak hours, I'd take 150 to 49. It gives you more options for where you are going before you are committed to a route. Wrecks in and around the Grandview Triangle (49/71 and 470/435 interchange) can really back you up and once you are there you are stuck. If you take 150 you can continue on that to State Line if need be, or take 49 all the way up to Banister. I go through the triangle daily, but take 435 a little further west than you will. I have a friend that drives from Pleasant Hill to the same area as you and swears by 49 to Banister to Wornall.

150 highway can be a pain in the morning, but seems to be a lot better in the evenings. The fact is you have about 4 different routes that aren't more than a few minutes apart. You'll have time to try them all out.
I would agree with this. If you drive north to 470, you are limiting yourself to pretty much 470 if things go wrong. If you go west and cut north, you have a lot more options.

Why would 150 be a pain? Is it congested? It's all widened out now to four lanes.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I would agree with this. If you drive north to 470, you are limiting yourself to pretty much 470 if things go wrong. If you go west and cut north, you have a lot more options.

Why would 150 be a pain? Is it congested? It's all widened out now to four lanes.
After Holmes it can get bad. You have three lights that are pretty close together that can cause things to back up and at times you have to sit through multiple cycles. It doesn't seem to be a problem in the evenings heading back east, once you get past Mission on 135th you can usually get all the way through without hitting a light.

Edit: I guess I should clarify that. 150 should be fine east of 49, but west of 49 if you take it to State Line is where you can see congestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City