Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 24,624 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer and have narrowed down my search to these areas. The job is on Ward near where it ends close to Highway W.

We prefer a nice suburban area, nothing fancy, just nice down to earth humble area where we can live comfortably without having to keep up with neighbors but we can afford 300-350k. We want the areas to be nice and friendly and safe and good shopping and schools. We are coming from the northern Atlanta suburbs.

We don’t know much about kansas area, but from looking around at houses online, I think these are the two areas we would like to live. I want good highway access and we would like to be close to a lake. We are bringing a fishing boat and jet skis, so a place near where we can store those is necessary along with avoiding any home owners associations that frown on jet skiis in the driveway once in a while.

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
I don't know about Lee's Summit or Olathe, but Overland Park would definitely frown on jet skis in the driveway. The ordinance for recreational vehicles would apply. I didn't take the time to look up Olathe or Lee's Summit ordinances, but I'm sure you can find them online.

http://www.opkansas.org/wp-content/u...sanitation.pdf

Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times
For someone who is into fishing/boating lakes and outdoor recreation, I think Lee's Summit would have some clear advantages. There are several lakes in the area, including Lake Jacomo and Longview Lake, plus you are closer to Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks if you choose those as destinations for weekend trips.

I'm not familiar with the rules of all the neighborhood associations in Lee's Summit, but I imagine many of them would be fairly lax about jet skiis in the driveway (outside of the ritzier areas of the city like Lakewood) due to the large presence of boating culture in the area.

Just to help clarify on some local road terminology, I have never heard the term Highway W used. I had to look it up to see what it was. It is always referred to as Bannister Rd (on the MO side) or 95th St. (on KS side). Also, when referring to Ward Parkway, the "parkway" is pretty much always included. If you just say "Ward" people might be confused.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the information both of you.

luzianne, we don't plan to keep them in the driveway. We would like a 3 car garage so we can hide our "toys". We plan to keep the boat at a marina somewhere. I just don't want any trouble, I will look into city ordinances though.

wiseowl, Thanks for the road info. Yes, I guess it's 95th Street. Lee's summit sounds like it might be more in line with our lifestyle. looking at google maps, we love the idea of having water around us, is that the only area that has "boating culture"? I have also been told several times that we should look in Overland Park or Leawood because the schools are better, however, when looking at the schools in Lee's Summit, they look to be ranked well and have a lot of upscale areas. Are schools bad there? I'm worried about the commute from there. Leewood would be a very close commute but I don't see a lot of parks or lakes in that area, but if they have better schools, then that will take precedence.

We like the homes in this area, especially this house, so would the commute be terrible and are the schools that bad?

http://www.homefinder.com/MO/Lees-Su...-Ct-101001213d

Old 07-11-2014, 10:33 AM

The schools in Lee's Summit, Leawood and OP are all good. The schools in Leawood and OP might be more highly rated/highly regarded in some circles, but personally, I don't feel the difference would be great enough to be the deciding factor in where you locate. Your kids will get a good education in any of those places.

Quote:
We prefer a nice suburban area, nothing fancy, just nice down to earth humble area where we can live comfortably without having to keep up with neighbors
This is another reason why I think you might prefer Lee's Summit. Whether it is fully deserved or not, OP and especially Leawood have stereotypes for being the opposite of what you are looking for in that aspect.

According to Google Maps, the commute to the address you posted is 21 minutes. That may be a bit longer during rush hour, but traffic in KC is usually negligible, so the increased time wouldn't be too significant on most days.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:05 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Lee's Summit schools are good. From Leawood and Overland Park, you'd have Hillsdale Lake nearby. Clinton Lake isn't far. And you have good access to 435 to head to Lake of the Ozarks.

You might like Lee's Summit better from your description, but in your price range I think you will be keeping up with most of the Joneses in Leawood or Overland Park without trying. You might fit right in. But WiseOwl is right, I wouldn't describe Leawood or Overland Park as "humble" but then all of KC might be humble compared to where you are now - I don't know.

Since you have two areas pinned down, you should really take some time to come out and explore both and see which suits you better. The two areas have a different feel and you'd just to see them for yourself to know which is a better fit for you.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Lee's Summit schools are good. From Leawood and Overland Park, you'd have Hillsdale Lake nearby. Clinton Lake isn't far. And you have good access to 435 to head to Lake of the Ozarks.

You might like Lee's Summit better from your description, but in your price range I think you will be keeping up with most of the Joneses in Leawood or Overland Park without trying. You might fit right in. But WiseOwl is right, I wouldn't describe Leawood or Overland Park as "humble" but then all of KC might be humble compared to where you are now - I don't know.

Since you have two areas pinned down, you should really take some time to come out and explore both and see which suits you better. The two areas have a different feel and you'd just to see them for yourself to know which is a better fit for you.
Ahh humble is a relative term I would imagine. I don't mean to sound like a hypocrite. I do know and feel blessed that we can afford such a nice home. I would just like to avoid areas where people let what they have go to their heads too much.

From what I hear Kansas City people are friendly everywhere, so that may not be a problem we will encounter, however from what WiseOwlSaysHoot says, I think the Lee's Summit area sounds pretty great so long as the schools are good. We first looked at Grandview and were told to stay away. The people we have spoke to in Kansas City say that they live in Johnson because other places are not as safe or as nice but we keep finding nice homes that we like that are not in Johnson Cty. We also like Lenexa I think it what it's called but there doesn't appear to be many nearby lakes. We don't have a preference to KC,MO or KC, KS sides.

I suppose we will have to come see for ourselves, but we don't have much time and hope to have a very good idea of where we want to settle before visiting.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyepeaches View Post
Thanks for the information both of you.

luzianne, we don't plan to keep them in the driveway. We would like a 3 car garage so we can hide our "toys". We plan to keep the boat at a marina somewhere. I just don't want any trouble, I will look into city ordinances though.

wiseowl, Thanks for the road info. Yes, I guess it's 95th Street. Lee's summit sounds like it might be more in line with our lifestyle. looking at google maps, we love the idea of having water around us, is that the only area that has "boating culture"? I have also been told several times that we should look in Overland Park or Leawood because the schools are better, however, when looking at the schools in Lee's Summit, they look to be ranked well and have a lot of upscale areas. Are schools bad there? I'm worried about the commute from there. Leewood would be a very close commute but I don't see a lot of parks or lakes in that area, but if they have better schools, then that will take precedence.

We like the homes in this area, especially this house, so would the commute be terrible and are the schools that bad?

4443 N.E. Park Springs Ct., Lee's Summit, MO 64064 | ID: 1852219 | HomeFinder.com
That's an awesome area. We almost built a home in that area. The topography is really nice and just driving around that area makes you feel like you are somewhere in the lake of the ozarks more than the suburbs of a major city. You are always near bodies of water or driving or dams etc. It's a beautiful area.

I think that's Blue Springs schools, which is a good district. There is a very large relatively new middle school right there near I-470 and it would be Blue Springs South high. The high schools in Blue Springs are huge, like small college campuses. That district could easily build at least one more high school, but they don't want to because they don't want to dilute that options available to students have such large high schools.

It's a nice suburban location that is isolated in the Jackson County parks, but also between all the shopping you could ever need along the 470 corridor from I-70 in Independence to 350 in Lee's Summit and Blue Springs has a lot of shopping to along Adams Dairy Parkway. Also the Independence Events Center is nearby and the Royals and Chiefs are very close. 435 and Wornall would only be about 20-30 minutes with rush hour delays rarely exceeding ten minutes.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Thanks!!

What do you think of this area?

10805 Washington Ct, Kansas City, MO 64114 is For Sale - Zillow

We really like the house and it's so close. It looks like a nice quiet area.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:20 PM

That is a fine area, but it is in the Center School District, which is not as highly rated as the other areas. Since you mentioned that having top schools are a high priority, you may not want to choose living that district, unless you would consider the private school option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City