Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times

Advertisements

Would you support an NHL team in the Kansas City area? Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:58 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
I would, but the area as a whole would not. It has been tried before with the KC Scouts back in the 70's.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:51 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
I live in Columbus and we got our NHL team with the expansion that occured in the late 90s. Many would have said Columbus would not be the most likely NHL friendly city before the team was planted here. However, Columbus has really embraced the NHL and is now kind of a hockey city even with the Blue Jackets having a very poor record.

Why do you guys feel Kansas City would not support an NHL team?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:46 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,384,777 times
Like I said, the area just won't support it. They didn't support the KC Scouts and they didn't support the minor league teams. The Pittsburg Pengiuns came for a look see at the new arena downtown and the public reaction was minimal. I'm not saying I like that fact, but it just is.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM

Kansas City might support hockey. It'd be a good rivalry for the Blues anyway.

Is it a matter of size? Because St. Louis supports the Blues pretty well, and I think KC's about the same size.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:31 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Kansas City might support hockey. It'd be a good rivalry for the Blues anyway.

Is it a matter of size? Because St. Louis supports the Blues pretty well, and I think KC's about the same size.
St. Louis is larger than Kansas City by about a million people and has a tradition of hockey for some time now.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:35 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
I think KC would support a team. I know lots of people that would like to see us get a hockey team. The key would be to get a franchise with a recent winning tradition, that's looking to relocate. The last I heard, there was still a chance that the Nashville Predators might move.
When the Penguins were looking at the Sprint Center, there was a lot of favorable public reaction to the news. Where I work, everyone was talking about it, and they're not that familiar with hockey. It was exciting.

I think an expansion team that struggles to get momentum winning-wise, will have a harder time getting support because this isn't a natural hockey area.
You have to remember that soccer isn't the biggest thing around here, but the Wizards have been around for quite some time and they're planning on building a new stadium.

Kansas City is a bigger and different town than it was in the 70's, and the NHL is a different league than it was back then. I wouldn't judge future success on the Scouts.
I think the NHL is set up more favorably to handle small markets than it used to be and KC is a sports-crazy town. Look at Major League Baseball. If there ever was a sport designed to cater to the really big markets, the MLB is it... yet even the Royals draw well here, especially for a dismal team perpetually in last place (that'll change soon).

KC is a blue-collar town, and hockey seems like a hard-working, blue collar sport. It would be appreciated here.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:01 PM

St. Louis had a hockey team in the 40's that failed, but the Blues succeeded, so you can't necessarily judge KC by the Scouts. The Predators signed a new deal, so they'll probably be in Nashville for 3 more years or so. Las Vegas is expected to get a team, though.

Not entirely related, Collinsville, IL is trying to get an MLS team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City