Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 PM

638 posts, read 623,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Look for them. You won't find a bunch of baiting threads started by me. When kcmo comes on this forum and starts his baiting - yes, I have stood up to his crap. And I will continue to do so.
This thread, which ended up locked

"Hmmmm....8 million in taxpayer money. I guess it's okay for Missouri, just not Kansas..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
This thread, which ended up locked

"Hmmmm....8 million in taxpayer money. I guess it's okay for Missouri, just not Kansas..."
So you had to go back to March to find a thread I started? That post also was in response to kcmo's baiting threads about Kansas.

I like how some of you ignore kcmo's blatant repeated baiting, and then accuse me of it. Why don't you start pulling up kcmo's baiting threads? There is no lack of material. You won't have to search back to March. All you have to do is look at the front page of the KC forum and you will find plenty. He posts 1000 baiting threads and you say nothing, then if I post something, you comment on it.

And wow. That thread you pulled up from March was one where I provided a link to a Pitch article. It was the thread title you listed and the pitch article link - and that's it. SOME people think it's okay for Missouri to spend taxpayer money but they complain if Kansas does it, so I linked to the article. And you notice kcmo jumped right into it and yes, it ended up getting shut down after kcmo dominated the thread (baiting all the way through) and then Tabula Rasa made a comment about ME and GS said the thread had run its course. I hadn't even seen her comment until tonight. But if that thread commenting that people think it's okay for Missouri to use tax money and not Kansas and link to a Pitch article is baiting, what the hell would you call what kcmo does? Oh, I know - you'd call it okay.

And here is a link to that thread. I see nothing wrong with my posting this and it is nowhere NEAR anything like kcmo posts. http://www.city-data.com/forum/kansas-city/2074431-hmmmm-8-million-taxpayer-money-i.html

Last edited by luzianne; 07-24-2014 at 10:46 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM

638 posts, read 623,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So you had to go back to March to find a thread I started? That post also was in response to kcmo's baiting threads about Kansas.

I like how some of you ignore kcmo's blatant repeated baiting, and then accuse me of it. Why don't you start pulling up kcmo's baiting threads? There is no lack of material. You won't have to search back to March. All you have to do is look at the front page of the KC forum and you will find plenty. He posts 1000 baiting threads and you say nothing, then if I post something, you comment on it.

And wow. That thread you pulled up from March was one where I provided a link to a Pitch article. It was the thread title you listed and the pitch article link - and that's it. SOME people think it's okay for Missouri to spend taxpayer money but they complain if Kansas does it, so I linked to the article. And you notice kcmo jumped right into it and yes, it ended up getting shut down after kcmo dominated the thread (baiting all the way through) and then Tabula Rasa made a comment about ME and GS said the thread had run its course. I hadn't even seen her comment until tonight. But if that thread commenting that people think it's okay for Missouri to use tax money and not Kansas and link to a Pitch article is baiting, what the hell would you call what kcmo does? Oh, I know - you'd call it okay.

And here is a link to that thread. I see nothing wrong with my posting this and it is nowhere NEAR anything like kcmo posts. http://www.city-data.com/forum/kansas-city/2074431-hmmmm-8-million-taxpayer-money-i.html
I made it clear that "certain posters" use bait threads. You told me to find another thread similar to this one which you started; I did. There has been alot of activity in the KC forum since then. This particular thread really caught my attention because of the way it was worded.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:10 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
It doesn't matter what side of the state line you live on to understand the fact that economic development is a bit down in KC compared to other peer cities - let alone economic powerhouses on the coasts.

Article From 6/13/2014

Face it, all of the stupid poaching between the state line on both sides weakens this area because it is wasted energy when we should be out there trying to recruit large companies from outside the area. When's the last time we made significant commercial addition to our skyline in terms of skyscrapers? 1987? Again signature items like skyscrapers, airports, etc. are emblems of economic growth and are a visual, physical representation of how your city rates against other places. If we want to be major league, we gotta step up as an entire region.

Also note the article discusses "brain drain" - let's face it people who are better than average don't want to settle for average. The top-notch, highly skilled computer engineer or neurosurgeon is not going to be satisfied with the "playing down to the average" attitude that KC often exhibits. They will leave for greener (and more exciting) pastures if we don't even have the opportunities for them.

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 07-25-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 01:40 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
I also say one of the most crippling things that KC has going against it is a large, nationally renown research university within the metro area. Nashville has Vandy, Atlanta has GT and Emory (among others), STL has WASHU, etc. These create "smart communities" within their respective metro areas as college graduates and college students generally tend to associate with people like themselves. This helps drive innovative businesses, creative endeavors, etc. This is not to say that the guy who gets a GED and starts a small but successful HVAC business has little value (it is a core component of our economy) - but it's just not going to play well on any marketing efforts for attracting the intelligentsia and the elites. We do have a strong arts community here, and we have some KU folks starting innovative, knowledge-based businesses here in the metro area. I still think we would be much better off if UMKC stepped its game up a bit to really become a flagship, known national university.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:20 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
We have hospitals in KC that do research, although maybe not nationally renowned. I really don't think KU is the best hospital in the metro, either.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM

290 posts, read 346,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm a transplant, too, and I really have no real complaints.
For me it has been the West Coast vs. Midwest mentality. Obviously not everyone who has moved here will agree with me, but that's been the invisible divide I have noticed since living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: