Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 3,514 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone in KCMO. My name is Winnie. My long-term boyfriend and I are making the move from a small town in MN to KCMO in October. We made a trip a few weeks ago to scope out the neighborhoods and fell in love with the Westport area. We are also considering the Plaza.

We love KC, the only problem is ironing out the details! We're looking for a 1 bedroom apartment between $600-700/month. We're recent college grads. Neither of us have jobs lined up but plan to look when we arrive. I can't seem to find anything without horrible reviews online, so I am really hoping for some help from you all.... I'm becoming frustrated with the search!

Can you offer any specific apartment complexes or companies that you've had luck with in the area? I appreciate any and all help! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM

709 posts, read 1,485,753 times
The first problem you might have is not having a job lined up before you arrive. You may have difficulty finding an apartment that will lease to you without any income already in place, unless you can get someone (a parent) to co-sign for you.

First off, I would take online apartment reviews with a grain of salt. It seems that they tend to skew negative across the board. I think it is something where people are much more likely to post a review if they have had a negative experience, rather than a positive one.

What sources are you using for your search?

If you are just looking at larger apartment complexes, you might have limited results in your price range (unless you would consider a studio).

You might have better luck with the smaller buildings that advertise on places like craigslist. Also, try checking out padmapper.com

I don't have any specific recommendations for apartments in your price range, but if you want to ask about specific buildings/locations, I could try to give feedback.

Here are couple on craigslist that could be worth considering:
Westport/Valentine area 6 plex
Renovated 1Bed 1Bath West Plaza
Volker Apartment Near 39th St 1600 W 37th St

Old 08-29-2014, 07:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
The Plaza is going to be a tough one in that price range, but it can be done (I lived in one such apartment in the heart of the Plaza...however, they did require verification of my income, so not having a job going in would definitely pose a problem). Westport will offer more options, as will Volker/Valentine, but, still, not being able to show verifiable proof of income is likely going to be problematic, unless some outfits will let you prepay several months, etc.

I wouldn't put much stock in apartment reviews, honestly. Property management companies I've rented from in the past in KC include Terra Management and Block Real Estate Services, LLC.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:34 PM

108 posts, read 110,174 times
You can find homes in that price range just south of the Plaza. There's a lot of really nice older homes in safe areas south of the Plaza. I have a friend who bought a nice 5 bedroom home for only $755 a month. I wish I could get that kind of deal out here in Los Angeles.

The income point is valid, but not impossible. I've convinced apartments to rent to me when I was unemployed, but I did have lots of money in my bank account, which I had to show them. I would take the other's advice and try to get a co-signer. Cost of living in KC is really low compared to other cities, so even if it takes a while to find work, you'll likely not suffer financially.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
The first problem...
...Here are couple on craigslist that could be worth considering:
Westport/Valentine area 6 plex
Renovated 1Bed 1Bath West Plaza
Volker Apartment Near 39th St 1600 W 37th St
WiseOwl, could not have been more helpful. We were using general search engine to find apartment buildings with vacancies in addition to trying to maneuver around Craigslist. Thank you for the pad mapper suggestion! We've had a lot of luck narrowing down our search by location! Also, we've contacted the user with the Volker apartment. Can't wait to hear back from them. I really appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The Plaza is going to be a tough one in that price range, but it can be done...
...Property management companies I've rented from in the past in KC include Terra Management and Block Real Estate Services, LLC.
TabulaRasa, we're currently looking into the two companies you've suggested. Thank you for your recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
You can find homes in that price range just south of the Plaza...
...I would take the other's advice and try to get a co-signer. Cost of living in KC is really low compared to other cities, so even if it takes a while to find work, you'll likely not suffer financially.
VaughanWilliams, his parents have agreed to co-sign so we're definitely lucky to have that as an option. Thanks for the heads up on South Plaza! We'll do a search on pad mapper today for the area to check it out.

You guys rock!!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 AM

Any specific thoughts on location and bang-for-buck for this offer? We've been in touch with the owner and hope to do a walk through of two apartments in two weeks. The price seems great for the amount of space and updating that's been done.

Two Spacious Flats With Vintage Charm Available Soon!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM

709 posts, read 1,485,753 times
That location (38th and Main) wouldn't necessarily be my top pick. The intersection of 39th and Main seems to attract vagrants and some other questionable characters (I think due to a couple subsidized/low-rent apartments nearby). I don't think it is especially dangerous or high crime, but due to the fact that you are from a small town, I get the feeling that you might be a little uncomfortable there. Just make sure you check out the location and see how you personally feel about it.

I find that with apartments, as with most things in life, you usually get what you pay for. Sure, there are some good deals to be found, but if you find a spacious, nicely updated apartment for cheap, there may be an issue with the location, or some other factor.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:18 PM

108 posts, read 110,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
That location (38th and Main) wouldn't necessarily be my top pick. The intersection of 39th and Main seems to attract vagrants and some other questionable characters (I think due to a couple subsidized/low-rent apartments nearby). I don't think it is especially dangerous or high crime, but due to the fact that you are from a small town, I get the feeling that you might be a little uncomfortable there. Just make sure you check out the location and see how you personally feel about it.

I find that with apartments, as with most things in life, you usually get what you pay for. Sure, there are some good deals to be found, but if you find a spacious, nicely updated apartment for cheap, there may be an issue with the location, or some other factor.

Yeah, that area of Main is a little sketchy and feels very urban. Definitely wouldn't walk around that area at night alone. It's not terrible in the daytime though.

I would definitely stay west of Troost, wherever you end up renting. In general, I think anything west of Main street in Westport is going to be safer than anywhere east of Main St. If you do look at any places south of Westport, stay west of Troost.

Westport is pretty safe in the day time, but you have to use your city smarts at night. Don't walk around at 2 AM alone after going out. Westport is a really charming area of the city, and it's not Westport that is dangerous, but rather that the areas east of Westport are high crime and it sort of spills over into the city a little bit.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
I am very familiar with that area and that building, and would not hesitate to rent there, personally. But you will definitely want to walk around the neighborhood at various times of day and see how you feel about it. That part of town has been undergoing a steady gentrification process, but it's still a bit of a mixed bag, although on the upswing. Those rehabbed vintage buildings are awesome.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,091 times
[URL="http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/4636204413.html"]Westport/Valentine area 6 plex[/URL]

i lived in these apartments for almost a year. the landlord was p. cool and nice, willing to work with you, gets things fixed etc. HOWEVER the buildings themselves were neglected for years and do show signs of abuse and disrepair so i would inspect the apartment thoroughly.

[URL="http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/4641941586.html"]Renovated 1Bed 1Bath West Plaza[/URL]

i like this one! west plaza is one of my favorite neighborhoods. close to the plaza and v. home-y.

[URL="http://kansascity.craigslist.org/apa/4625625374.html"]Volker Apartment Near 39th St 1600 W 37th St[/URL][/quote]

eh...good area but there might be better buildings to live in, i've only seen the outside and it looks kind of poop but i've never seen the inside.

i currently rent from ellis real estate. they are kind of hard to get a hold of because there are only a couple girls who work in the office but they have been wonderful, v pleasant and helpful. maintenance has also been p good. i would see if they have anything on craigslist but fyi their apartments do fill up fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City