Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 11:14 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

I found this interesting. People can probably quickly see why I'm posting this. I have always said that most "new" jobs metro KC lures come to KCMO or the MO side in general because KCMO goes after new jobs and KCMO is more attractive to companies from outside the metro. Meanwhile, Johnson County is not even on the list. But hey, the state of Kansas spends hundreds of millions on "recruiting" jobs from KCMO every year!

Call this thread what you want. This is the kind of stats people need to see, especially those that think JoCo is carrying the KC area economically. I'm sure JoCo will poach at least one of these companies from Missouri over the next five years. I'll check back in five year and see .

Here is the list from the Kansas City area Development Council per the KC Business Journal.

Targeted Metrics 535 jobs (KCMO)
Project Walker 375 jobs (KCMO)
Martinrea International 290 jobs (Riverside)
LMV Systems 166 jobs (Liberty)
Janesville Acoustics 164 jobs (Warrensburg)
Sedgwich LLP 125 jobs (KCMO)
MindMixer LLC 85 jobs (KCMO)
Inergy Automotive Systems 65 jobs (KCK)
FoodService 40 jobs (KCMO)
Project Koi 40 jobs (KCMO)

And one other note in this week's business journal to just continue to back up my claim that KC is struggling economically. It's mentioned that home construction in KC still not only lags other peer markets, but lags what is considered normal for the KC area.

So home construction is down and not recovering nearly was well as the nation right now (not talking about California crowvic ) and JoCo seems to have a difficult time bringing "new" jobs to the region and thinks poaching jobs from KCMO is helping the metro just because it "creates jobs" in JoCo.

More and more facts that show the KC area's biggest problem continues to be a complete lack of regional cooperation. If JoCo was able to bring in companies new to the KC area instead of just taking AMC or Fishnet from KCMO, then they would probably have double the housing starts that they have now and the entire metro would be better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,804 times
So how do you propose solving the problem of regional non-cooperation?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:59 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I found this interesting. People can probably quickly see why I'm posting this. I have always said that most "new" jobs metro KC lures come to KCMO or the MO side in general because KCMO goes after new jobs and KCMO is more attractive to companies from outside the metro. Meanwhile, Johnson County is not even on the list. But hey, the state of Kansas spends hundreds of millions on "recruiting" jobs from KCMO every year!

Call this thread what you want. This is the kind of stats people need to see, especially those that think JoCo is carrying the KC area economically. I'm sure JoCo will poach at least one of these companies from Missouri over the next five years. I'll check back in five year and see .

Here is the list from the Kansas City area Development Council per the KC Business Journal.

Targeted Metrics 535 jobs (KCMO)
Project Walker 375 jobs (KCMO)
Martinrea International 290 jobs (Riverside)
LMV Systems 166 jobs (Liberty)
Janesville Acoustics 164 jobs (Warrensburg)
Sedgwich LLP 125 jobs (KCMO)
MindMixer LLC 85 jobs (KCMO)
Inergy Automotive Systems 65 jobs (KCK)
FoodService 40 jobs (KCMO)
Project Koi 40 jobs (KCMO)

And one other note in this week's business journal to just continue to back up my claim that KC is struggling economically. It's mentioned that home construction in KC still not only lags other peer markets, but lags what is considered normal for the KC area.

So home construction is down and not recovering nearly was well as the nation right now (not talking about California crowvic ) and JoCo seems to have a difficult time bringing "new" jobs to the region and thinks poaching jobs from KCMO is helping the metro just because it "creates jobs" in JoCo.

More and more facts that show the KC area's biggest problem continues to be a complete lack of regional cooperation. If JoCo was able to bring in companies new to the KC area instead of just taking AMC or Fishnet from KCMO, then they would probably have double the housing starts that they have now and the entire metro would be better off.
You would think that, if grinding your axe on this forum every other day really advanced your cause, your fairy tale would have come true by now. Instead, KC remains light years away from the nightmare you would turn it into.

Ya gotta love KC sensibility. And part of that sensibility is knowing we need another housing bubble like we need to bring atmospheric nuclear testing back.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You would think that, if grinding your axe on this forum every other day really advanced your cause, your fairy tale would have come true by now. Instead, KC remains light years away from the nightmare you would turn it into.

Ya gotta love KC sensibility. And part of that sensibility is knowing we need another housing bubble like we need to bring atmospheric nuclear testing back.
Housing prices are LOW in KC due to supply and demand factors and the relative lack of stronger job growth and accompanying in-migration. Those areas that are in high demand, highly dense, higher job growth, etc also have outside interests infiltrating the market and foreign cash buyers (often from China). This is especially apparent for certain metro areas along the West Coast but also the East Coast (NYC, Boston, etc).

Old 09-05-2014, 04:32 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Housing prices are LOW in KC due to supply and demand factors and the relative lack of stronger job growth and accompanying in-migration. Those areas that are in high demand, highly dense, higher job growth, etc also have outside interests infiltrating the market and foreign cash buyers (often from China). This is especially apparent for certain metro areas along the West Coast but also the East Coast (NYC, Boston, etc).
It certainly is, and the stark contrast is one factor keeping KC the gem that it is....at least from October - April.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:19 PM

83 posts, read 99,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

You should read the Prosperity at a Crossroads report. I just skimmed through it and saw quite a bit of data that was somewhat alarming. Lows and Down pretty much describes it. There just hasn't been much change since the Great Recession "finished". You can argue that the federal and state governments have cheated in nearly every economical indicator for years and I would tend to believe it. The problem is that Kansas City is still doing bad. KC ranked 13th out of 15 peer cities in job recovery and is way down in job efficiency. Honestly the data shows Kansas City has been dropping for years, well before 2007. Many data points have been bad since the 2000 recession. Maybe MARC's interpretation is blown out of proportion, but the data is tangible and I don't see anyway to ignore it. I don't expect you do jump on the Urban Bandwagon, but maybe the bandwagon of understanding Kansas City has some work to do on it's economy. I don't think it's so much of an execution problem, as it is a "there is no plan" problem. It's pretty clear there are a few other people that think more cooperation amongst the cities in the metro is needed. I guess that would indicate there is some cooperation. Sometimes you get the feeling that the miles that separate the cities might as well be hundreds of miles.

Here is a quote:

Drop “fragmented, uncoordinated” economic development efforts in favor of a shared plan that focuses on the area’s existing industry strengths.

Focus on “market drivers” to help exiting industries innovate and export.

Align the region’s economic strategy with state policies and investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City