U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,355 times
Default Help please

What do you know about the area around E 32nd street

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Will you people listen to yourselves!

Raytown has bad schools, Raytown is racist.

WTF? Raytown is fine, has fine schools and considering it's one of the more diverse districts in the metro, how can it be "racist"?

OK, now listen to me on this.

Independence is FINE. You can find just about every kind of housing and neighborhood in Independence as you can in Blue Springs or Lee's Summit, only you are closer to more places to eat and shop.

Sure, Independence has some urban issues in the western and northern parts of the city, but it's a rather large suburb with nearly 120,000 people and it's still growing and when you drive around the newer parts of Indepedence, you can't tell if you are in Lee's Summit, Olathe, or Liberty. Independence has nice suburban areas with good housing prices and good schools.

It's no wonder KC is in the shape it's in. According to this forum,the only places worthy of living are Lee's Summit and Johnson County.

That couldn't be more further from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 09:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 8,436,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchaples View Post
What do you know about the area around E 32nd street
Well, it would depend on what part of 32nd. You have some newer areas to the east and older areas to the west.

I would say that most of the 32nd corridor of Independence is ok, even on the west side of town. But on the east side, you will have better schools (blue springs) and newer homes and retail nearby.

Generally, Independence is not bad till you go further north. It's not Overland Park or Lee's Summit (parts are in southeast Indy), but most of it is simply modest, mature and stable working class to middle class blue collar neighborhoods. Even the north parts of Indy are just poor areas. It’s not really crime ridden or dangerous like parts of urban KCMO, it’s just very low income and rundown.

But Indy is a large suburb and you have to remember that. Like KCMO, you have large sections of nice areas and large sections of not so nice areas in the same city. It's a great place to buy a starter home IMO or get acclimated with the metro without getting over your head financially (or getting into an area where you are forced to keep up with the jones to fit in).

Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 AM

1,708 posts, read 805,284 times
[quote=kcmo;18974334]
Quote:
It's not Overland Park or Lee's Summit (parts are in southeast Indy),
Thank goodness!!!!! I lived in Independence for ten years and only recently had to move, much to my sorrow. Independence is a fine city and has one of the best City Council's ever put together. Southeastern Independence is in the Blue Springs school district, giving you a double blessing. Independence School District is fine but I believe Blue Springs has been called better.

As for being a "suburb", which it does look like, did you know that Independence is the county seat - not Kansas City but Independence?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

7,228 posts, read 8,436,011 times
[quote=Hazel W;18977748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Thank goodness!!!!! I lived in Independence for ten years and only recently had to move, much to my sorrow. Independence is a fine city and has one of the best City Council's ever put together. Southeastern Independence is in the Blue Springs school district, giving you a double blessing. Independence School District is fine but I believe Blue Springs has been called better.

As for being a "suburb", which it does look like, did you know that Independence is the county seat - not Kansas City but Independence?
Yea, Independence is actually older than KCMO. I totally respect the history in Independence. It's not your typical suburb from that standpoint. It's not just a bunch of post war subdivisions and office parks.

But today, it functions as a suburb of KCMO. Probably even more so than places like Overland Park because so much of the city is a bedroom community. There are few jobs there for the size of the city.

Today, Independence is a city with its own unique identity and history, yet is still a suburb that is dependent on KCMO and the metropolitan area for culture, sports, identity and entertainment, much like KCK. Even though the city provides a good share of culture, entertainment etc to the metro as well, much like KCK with museums, minor league sports etc, it's still a suburb of the primary city in the metro.

It's always bothered me how much of a bad rap Independence gets from metro area residents. The city simply doesn't deserve such a reputation.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:26 AM

[quote=kcmo;18979091]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post

Yea, Independence is actually older than KCMO. I totally respect the history in Independence. It's not your typical suburb from that standpoint. It's not just a bunch of post war subdivisions and office parks.

But today, it functions as a suburb of KCMO. Probably even more so than places like Overland Park because so much of the city is a bedroom community. There are few jobs there for the size of the city.

Today, Independence is a city with its own unique identity and history, yet is still a suburb that is dependent on KCMO and the metropolitan area for culture, sports, identity and entertainment, much like KCK. Even though the city provides a good share of culture, entertainment etc to the metro as well, much like KCK with museums, minor league sports etc, it's still a suburb of the primary city in the metro.

It's always bothered me how much of a bad rap Independence gets from metro area residents. The city simply doesn't deserve such a reputation.
It is a great place to live and let's add one more tiny tidbit. It has the best drinking water in the country. Plain, cool, refreshing water without all those chemical tastes you get elsewhere. I don't know how they do it but I miss that water.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:55 PM

150 posts, read 179,001 times
Maybe y'all would like to scan my thread Long Ago On Independence Square ! It has my remeniscences of when I grew up In Indep. in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Am looking for more contributors with all kinds of memories from the past, so hop to it!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 PM

9 posts, read 7,772 times
Independence is the best city outside KC!!!!
A lot of culture for being a suburb!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:39 AM

Are some of these quotes mixed up? Or am I asleep in the fog of this overheated city where I now live?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:57 PM

150 posts, read 179,001 times
Zach, I differ with you that Independence is a 'suburb.' Maybe it seems that way to modernists, but to me it will always be its own TOWN. It's self-containing, there are jobs, there's shopping. I daresay there's community spirit, though not like there was when I grew up there. You can log onto my thread Long Ago On Independence Square on pg. 1 to find out what the town was like when it was more its own separate entity. Back then you had to take a big bus over to K.C. for city shopping and it took nearly one half hour. A real expedition! I attended Homecoming in 04 and the parade on the square was hardly worth being called a parade. And virtually no one was in attendance compared to how it was in the 50s when I attended WCHS. But please give it the respect it is due as the traditional Queen City of the Trails !

Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Zach, I differ with you that Independence is a 'suburb.' Maybe it seems that way to modernists, but to me it will always be its own TOWN. It's self-containing, there are jobs, there's shopping. I daresay there's community spirit, though not like there was when I grew up there. You can log onto my thread Long Ago On Independence Square on pg. 1 to find out what the town was like when it was more its own separate entity. Back then you had to take a big bus over to K.C. for city shopping and it took nearly one half hour. A real expedition! I attended Homecoming in 04 and the parade on the square was hardly worth being called a parade. And virtually no one was in attendance compared to how it was in the 50s when I attended WCHS. But please give it the respect it is due as the traditional Queen City of the Trails !

It also just happens to be the county seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City