Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 PM

8 posts, read 9,597 times

Advertisements

KCMO, As we both expected, I have yet to receive a call back from the Lees Summit ISD. I have left 2 messages so this is a huge disappointment for me personally as it tells me that my child is not important enough in their eyes. I was able to speak with the Director of Special Services with the Blue Springs ISD and she was extremely nice, very helpful and took time to answer all my questions. Even said that we not be a bother if we needed to call back with any additional questions that we may think of later. THIS PUT THEM AS THE FRONT RUNNER!!

I will keep everyone updated after our visit the week of Thanksgiving.

MRG DALLAS- No apologies needed as I see all information as positive feedback.

Last edited by txfootballcoach; 11-16-2014 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add one comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfootballcoach View Post
KCMO, As we both expected, I have yet to receive a call back from the Lees Summit ISD. I have left 2 messages so this is a huge disappointment for me personally as it tells me that my child is not important enough in their eyes. I was able to speak with the Director of Special Services with the Blue Springs ISD and she was extremely nice, very helpful and took time to answer all my questions. Even said that we not be a bother if we needed to call back with any additional questions that we may think of later. THIS PUT THEM AS THE FRONT RUNNER!!

I will keep everyone updated after our visit the week of Thanksgiving.

MRG DALLAS- No apologies needed as I see all information as positive feedback.
Kind of figured that.

Blue Springs is a great school district. My kids went there before we moved to Maryland.

I would almost recommend it over LS because their high schools are larger and offer more misc activities and classes.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 9,597 times
Oh wow, I used to live in Manassas, VA an moved back to Texas about 4 years ago. I work for the USPS and if all goes as I anticipate, I will be working at the USPS location on 1700 Cleveland Ave.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:58 AM

We get over the Manassas once in a while. That's a drive all the way across DC, so it's not often. Nice little downtown.

So you are going to the main distribution center right off I-70. In that case, I would take a serious look at Blue Springs. It would only be a 15 minute drive, even during rush hour, depending on how far from I-70 you lived in Blue Springs. You will get a much nicer home in a decent area in BS for your rent range than almost any other part of the metro. If you drive around out there, you will see it has tons of really nice areas and most is in your price range (not too cheap, but not too pricey either). Blue Springs is a really nice working class yet middle class suburb that's very family friendly and close to tons of shopping and recreation. The Liberty "area" would be the other area I would look at. Between Shoal Creek which is a new suburban area of KCMO across I-35 from Liberty and Liberty itself, you will have also have a lot of nice homes to choose from in your price range.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:53 PM

267 posts, read 618,364 times
From someone from one and moved to the other...
Question to the OP, where in the metroplex do you live now and do you like it there? Some comparisons for you:

KC east side including I believe 'Cleveland Ave' where you say your job is == Fair Park neighborhood, only worse
Overland Park/Leawood (south of 435) == Plano/Frisco with stucco instead of brick, and with actual hills and trees
Mission Hills == Park Cities
KCK (except west of 435) == the worst parts of Irving and Arlington as well as Harry Hines
KCK west of 435 == pretty much the same amenities as Frisco/The Colony along 121, NFM included
Parkville = kind of like FloMo only hillier
Belton, Raymore, Grandview == Midlothian, Mansfield, Waxahachie

Zona Rosa in the northland will remind you of Southlake Town Center, only Zona Rosa is a ghost town compared to Southlake's. The Country Club Plaza is like a crime ridden but larger Highland Park Village.

With either state, get used to an income tax, lower salaries, and a higher sales tax that affects groceries as well. The 1% income tax in KCMO city limits is there as well, and KCMO has pulled a Houston and annexed like the entire state of Missouri. This is not to discourage you from moving, as the KC area has water, trails/nature, a fun university nearby (KU blows UNT out of the water) and at least some culture in the better KC areas and parts of JoCo. You may have an easier time finding affordable housing close to your work with good schools, as the Metroplex is getting freaking expensive for homes now. Much like the Metroplex KC is very car dependent, but things are much closer together. KC posters will complain all day about KC's so called sprawl, none of them have been to Dallas.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
KC posters will complain all day about KC's so called sprawl, none of them have been to Dallas.
Nope, never been to Dallas
Dallas Texas - City Skyline Pictures, Cityscape Prints, Canvas, Metal, Panoramics, Murals, Digital Stock

Okay, I have not been there in the past two weeks! You got me!

Most people (or a very large portion) in KC have been to Dallas and while the metroplex is a sprawling mess (I don't like the area at all actually), they also have a considerable amount of urban development going on and a light rail system that is rapidly becoming one of the country's largest and most used. I wouldn't take too many urban planning lessons from the DFW area, but even they are seem to be doing a lot of things that KC can't seem get going. Much of KC's freeway system is still very old AND they don't have any transit. Dallas is somehow funding both modern freeways everywhere and implementing major rail transit lines across many many jurisdictions, something KC couldn't dream of.

And to keep things simple. Stick with the Blue Springs or Liberty School districts and I think the OP will find exactly what they are looking for in the neighborhood and price range they want within a decent commute time.

To the OP. Make sure you try Jims Tamales. It's a not too far east of the main post office distribution center near 435.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-20-2014 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 AM

377 posts, read 569,447 times
The Plaza is crime-ridden? Really?

Old 11-22-2014, 05:03 PM

348 posts, read 415,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
The Plaza is crime-ridden? Really?
That's what I was thinking...
I used to live on the Plaza in 1989-1990 right by St. Luke's. I think it's a hotel now.
*pulls up Google Maps*
Yup. It's a Courtyard by Marriott now. They were pretty nice! The "crime-ridden" part was closer to Westport and just North of that around 39th street...although I hear it's cleaned up quite a bit.

-T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City