Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:05 PM

83 posts, read 98,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Really, it IS significantly more beautiful post-remodel than pre. I would say it's to be inferred that the renovations have endeared it more to people.
I would agree with that, but I'm simply pointing out that few people directly related their desire not to build a downtown ballpark to the renovations. The comments on the three sites I looked at anyway. It is a great stadium and one of my favorites, but it could easily have been replicated with modern updates. We aren't talking about a piece of baseball history as you had with the old Yankee stadium and Wrigley Field. In my opinion it is unfortunate that we spent the money on a revamp, but it is what it is. Maybe in 20-30 years people will see things differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,638,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerlewis33 View Post
I would agree with that, but I'm simply pointing out that few people directly related their desire not to build a downtown ballpark to the renovations. The comments on the three sites I looked at anyway. It is a great stadium and one of my favorites, but it could easily have been replicated with modern updates. We aren't talking about a piece of baseball history as you had with the old Yankee stadium and Wrigley Field. In my opinion it is unfortunate that we spent the money on a revamp, but it is what it is. Maybe in 20-30 years people will see things differently.
Yes, more and more will see the downtown ballpark fad for the boondoggle that it is....

Braves to leave Turner Field after only 16 years | San Diego Reader

Meanwhile, KC sensibility will remain, be admired, and will increasingly be emulated.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yes, more and more will see the downtown ballpark fad for the boondoggle that it is....

Meanwhile, KC sensibility will remain, be admired, and will increasingly be emulated.
I guarantee the Rockies won't be abandoning their nice downtown stadium and moving to Aurora. In Denver, many people can access the stadium via light rail. No need for so much parking, and I've never heard anyone complain about it being downtown. What I've heard is that people enjoy walking out of the park to restaurants and bars

Old 11-17-2014, 12:09 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,715,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

Haha, one out of the last dozen or more new stadiums is not downtown and you see a trend. Go figure.

For the record, a lot of people are not happy about that Braves moving.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I guarantee the Rockies won't be abandoning their nice downtown stadium and moving to Aurora. In Denver, many people can access the stadium via light rail. No need for so much parking, and I've never heard anyone complain about it being downtown. What I've heard is that people enjoy walking out of the park to restaurants and bars
That scared me just thinking about our stadium being way out there. For the first 8 years Coors Field had an average attendance between 40,000 and 55,000. Those numbers would not have been that high if the venues weren't located downtown. Even with the newness of the club wearing off the Rockies attendance has remained in the top 12 in MLB for many of the last 10 year with attendance above 32,000 for 7 of those years. For a mediocre team in a smaller market that is impressive and in no way would it have been possible with a ballpark located in East Aurora. The access to a stadium 15 miles east of downtown Denver would be much better than that of the current location of Kaufman in comparison to downtown KC, but they still chose to build it downtown. Kansas City might have two thirds of the attendance of the Rockies, but the financial impact of Kaufman is not even in the same ballpark as Coors field... pardon the pun. Eighty times a year there is 10,000 plus people mingling around downtown in the hours surrounding the game spending money. I've been seeing it happen for 20 years.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerlewis33 View Post
That scared me just thinking about our stadium being way out there. For the first 8 years Coors Field had an average attendance between 40,000 and 55,000. Those numbers would not have been that high if the venues weren't located downtown. Even with the newness of the club wearing off the Rockies attendance has remained in the top 12 in MLB for many of the last 10 year with attendance above 32,000 for 7 of those years. For a mediocre team in a smaller market that is impressive and in no way would it have been possible with a ballpark located in East Aurora. The access to a stadium 15 miles east of downtown Denver would be much better than that of the current location of Kaufman in comparison to downtown KC, but they still chose to build it downtown. Kansas City might have two thirds of the attendance of the Rockies, but the financial impact of Kaufman is not even in the same ballpark as Coors field... pardon the pun. Eighty times a year there is 10,000 plus people mingling around downtown in the hours surrounding the game spending money. I've been seeing it happen for 20 years.
True. I hadn't thought about the economic impact to downtown. After a game a Kaufman, people just go home. In Denver, you can go eat, have drinks, then hop on the train home.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
True. I hadn't thought about the economic impact to downtown. After a game a Kaufman, people just go home. In Denver, you can go eat, have drinks, then hop on the train home.
Yep, most go home and it's never a fun parade to enter. I'd like to see stats on how many Coors Field attendees live within walking distance or ride the shuttles from the south side of downtown. It will be high in addition to those that ride the trains. I'm sure attendance is only going to go up as the 5,000 plus newly completed and under construction units within walking distance are added to the already 65,000 people that live in the downtown neighborhoods. The population increase isn't expected to slow any time soon, so I would expect there to be a parallel increase in Coors Field attendance. Most of those new residents are 18-35, so you can be assured the seats in the Rockpile and all the other cheap seats near the Rooftop bar will be filled. I'm quite confident that in 20-25 years when a downtown ballpark opens up in KC that it will have similar results in the following years.

http://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/image/1269500/size/tl-horizontal_main/the-best-patios-in-11-denver-hoods

http://gotidbits.com/sites/tidbits.amberco.co/files/styles/gallery-image/public/gallery-items/149088_295244473942186_1492617941_n.jpg?itok=AQSty 7cY

http://media.thedenverchannel.com/photo/2014/04/04/fans_flood_blake_and_20th_streets_1396649146347_39 77927_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

sports in denver: The Rooftop At Coors Field

We will often go to a friends house before the game and walk with a group of friends to the ballpark. Not one time have we came straight home after the game. We usually stop by a bar on the way there for a few minutes and again on the way back. I can promise you that we are not the only group doing that as many times you will be walking with dozens to hundreds of people from the near by complexes and mid-rises. This season we made a habit of eating at Union Station after we got of the train before meeting other people... more money spent solely because of the downtown ballpark. I know the only reason I go to 75% of the games I go to is because I can take the train to within a 10 minute walk of Coors Field and 100's of bars/restaurants. The walking distance from a parking lot is probably going to be half of that. It costs us $16/85 minutes for that trip compared to driving/parking at $25/70 minutes driving when traffic is smooth both ways. It becomes a no brainer for me when you add wear and tear on your car and your mind. It sure would be nice to see the KC streetcar to nowhere finally having somewhere to go.

https://www.facebook.com/TavernDowntown/photos/a.406216319397220.101985.117528008266054/406217009397151/?type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/TavernDowntown/photos/a.406216319397220.101985.117528008266054/406216992730486/?type=3&theater

Old 11-17-2014, 09:32 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,645,404 times
The Minnesota Twins Stadium is in a perfect location in Downtown Minneapolis and very easily accessible to everyone in the Metro Area and surrounding state. I think a lot of people like going downtown to see the Twins play; from the awesome skyline views, to the nearby restaurants and bars to the easy access to light rail and commuter line. I think a lot of people would be very disappointed if the stadium were to move out to the burbs. I will add, the light rail lines are packed to the gills during Twins and Vikings games.
The new Vikings stadium is right next to rail as well and Downtown east is booming.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,002,833 times
For what its worth:

I believe the current lease at Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums runs through the early 2030s. So my guess would be in about ten years for this to all start up again..

Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM

654 posts, read 619,847 times
By the time the stadium replacement talk starts up for real again there should be a critical mass of people living in Downtown, Midtown, Hyde Park and a hopefully gentrifying Northeast that a downtown location for the new baseball stadium will not even be a controversy, it will be self evident that a central location is the only place it makes sense to build it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City