Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
It does indeed have something to do with the post I replied to and it has to do with jobs in KCMO. I can understand why you want it deleted, though. You'd rather not have the truth about KCMO posted.
Kids getting in trouble at a mall in Independence and a robbery in Shawnee have something to do with KCMO bringing new companies downtown? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 08:05 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Like it or not, businesses and people have moved away from the urban core.
Like it or not, businesses and people have moved away from large swaths of Johnson County, too.

You and your buddy are getting pretty deep into "nanny nanny boo-boo" juvenile territory.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Kids getting in trouble at a mall in Independence and a robbery in Shawnee have something to do with KCMO bringing new companies downtown? I don't think so.
MURDER in Shawnee by four thugs from KCMO. Thugs in Independence. Thugs on the Plaza. Thugs at the zoo. Murder downtown. Yes, the crime in KCMO does have something to do with bringing new companies downtown.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonFire View Post
I get it your a aging boomer who lives in the suburbs. But why can't you just be happy about Kansas city's success?
I have lived in the suburbs by choice since I was 27, for a reason. Why can't you admit to and be concerned about the crime problem in KCMO?

Apparently it's not enough anymore to move to the suburbs to get away from KCMO's crime. Now they are bringing it here. It affects the whole city, including businesses and people wanting to move downtown.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-13-2015 at 09:27 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 10:16 AM

348 posts, read 415,719 times
When I lived in the country in the middle of nowhere MO, we still had crime...
Somebody broke into our house and tore the VCR out.
There were frequent gunshots in our woods (from hunters illegally trespassing). One of the bullets once hit the side of our house. I used to play in those woods.
This was in the 1970s.

Crime is everywhere. Jobs are not.

-T.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
When I lived in the country in the middle of nowhere MO, we still had crime...
Somebody broke into our house and tore the VCR out.
There were frequent gunshots in our woods (from hunters illegally trespassing). One of the bullets once hit the side of our house. I used to play in those woods.
This was in the 1970s.

Crime is everywhere. Jobs are not.

-T.
That's not the same thing and you know it. We are talking about violent crime/murder. Yes, violent crime can happen anywhere. But KCMO has a crime problem. All I am saying is that if these type of incidents don't stop, especially those occurring downtown, businesses are NOT going to be moving to downtown KCMO.

PS - I lived in rural Missouri and none of what you mention happened there, but I'm not saying it couldn't. But still, that's different than violent crime and murder.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:31 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,270 times
Quote:
That's not the same thing and you know it. We are talking about violent crime/murder. Yes, violent crime can happen anywhere. But KCMO has a crime problem. All I am saying is that if these type of incidents don't stop, especially those occurring downtown, businesses are NOT going to be moving to downtown KCMO.

PS - I lived in rural Missouri and none of what you mention happened there, but I'm not saying it couldn't. But still, that's different than violent crime and murder.
Do you recognize the difference between a generic crime rate, and the probability of being victimized by a crime?

If I owned a company that was looking into moving to KCMO, here would be some of my thoughts:

-I will be centrally located, so my employees can live in any kind of neighborhood they want.
-Therefore, the only kind of crime to worry about would be what might happen to my employees during work hours
-Therefore, night-time stuff is not an issue. Also, domestic violence stats are irrelevant.
-Also, my employees will not be dealing drugs or joining gangs, so we can ignore those types of violence, too.
-So if I just make sure the immediate area of my business is a vibrant place that discourages general mischief, my employees will be as safe there as they will be anywhere else.

Point being, there are only certain types of crime that concern a business owner looking to relocate.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:47 PM

348 posts, read 415,719 times
Quote:
That's not the same thing and you know it. We are talking about violent crime/murder.
Actually, we were talking about jobs coming to KCMO.

-T.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Actually, we were talking about jobs coming to KCMO.

-T.
Yes, and when murders are happening in KCMO, especially downtown where it's supposed to be "revitalized," that is going to affect businesses coming downtown and people living downtown.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Do you recognize the difference between a generic crime rate, and the probability of being victimized by a crime?

If I owned a company that was looking into moving to KCMO, here would be some of my thoughts:

-I will be centrally located, so my employees can live in any kind of neighborhood they want.
-Therefore, the only kind of crime to worry about would be what might happen to my employees during work hours
-Therefore, night-time stuff is not an issue. Also, domestic violence stats are irrelevant.
-Also, my employees will not be dealing drugs or joining gangs, so we can ignore those types of violence, too.
-So if I just make sure the immediate area of my business is a vibrant place that discourages general mischief, my employees will be as safe there as they will be anywhere else.

Point being, there are only certain types of crime that concern a business owner looking to relocate.
And I'm guessing you've never been a business owner. I have.

I see you've begun using kcmo's buzzword - "vibrant."

Urban dictionary definition of vibrant:

Used by middle-class liberals, mainly women and feminised men, to refer to a run-down crime-ridden area, populated in the main by ethnic minorities where they can buy quirky food items for recipes which usually don't turn out very well.

Last edited by luzianne; 01-13-2015 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City