U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
348 posts, read 335,295 times
Reputation: 446

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
PS - I lived in rural Missouri and none of what you mention happened there, but I'm not saying it couldn't. But still, that's different than violent crime and murder.
Ah, so if the bullet comes from a hunting rifle wielded by a good ol' boy trespassing on private property, it's not violent crime?
I'm sure my parents would have been comforted by that had I been hit by the stray bullet instead of the house - at least it wasn't from some urban thug.

-T.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:53 PM
 
13,718 posts, read 16,747,624 times
Reputation: 16767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Ah, so if the bullet comes from a hunting rifle wielded by a good ol' boy trespassing on private property, it's not violent crime?
I'm sure my parents would have been comforted by that had I been hit by the stray bullet instead of the house - at least it wasn't from some urban thug.

-T.
You don't even make sense. If there were hordes of hunters deliberately hunting down and shooting and killing people, that would be a reasonable analogy. A stray bullet from the rifle of one hunter trespassing on private property is a whole lot different than a city full of thugs INTENDING to be violent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
3,572 posts, read 6,972,684 times
Reputation: 2589
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Do you recognize the difference between a generic crime rate, and the probability of being victimized by a crime?

If I owned a company that was looking into moving to KCMO, here would be some of my thoughts:

-I will be centrally located, so my employees can live in any kind of neighborhood they want.
-Therefore, the only kind of crime to worry about would be what might happen to my employees during work hours
-Therefore, night-time stuff is not an issue. Also, domestic violence stats are irrelevant.
-Also, my employees will not be dealing drugs or joining gangs, so we can ignore those types of violence, too.
-So if I just make sure the immediate area of my business is a vibrant place that discourages general mischief, my employees will be as safe there as they will be anywhere else.

Point being, there are only certain types of crime that concern a business owner looking to relocate.
Are there any stats out there that show the most dangerous cities in order of which you're most likely to become a victim?

I find it odd you wouldn't be worried about crime at night. I would be. I mostly would be concerned about employees who may be coming or going at night, especially during a time when few others would be around. You might also worry about being broken into, etc. I wonder if there are any actual people making decisions actually only care about daytime crime and not what happens in the area of their business at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 PM
 
186 posts, read 208,233 times
Reputation: 611
"Urban" and "thugs" are buzzwords, too. One refers to the area destroyed and one refers to those who destroyed it.

When violent crime is reported in KCMO, it usually occurs in the "urban core" and it is usually committed by "thugs".

I think the reason so many companies move to JoCo KS is because most of the thugs don't actually live there.

The greatest concentration of thugs in JoCo can be found in one of the two jails (a second facility was built to house the growing number of thugs stupid enough to venture into JoCo with criminal intent).

New companies may be coming to KCMO - but, I bet a lot of their employees will choose to live in JoCo...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:57 PM
 
2,202 posts, read 2,578,616 times
Reputation: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post
"Urban" and "thugs" are buzzwords, too
You are confusing "buzzwords" with "racist code words".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 10:00 PM
 
186 posts, read 208,233 times
Reputation: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You are confusing "buzzwords" with "racist code words".
Confusing "buzzwords" with "realist code words". Okay..., got it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 10:03 PM
 
2,202 posts, read 2,578,616 times
Reputation: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
A stray bullet from the rifle of one hunter trespassing on private property is a whole lot different than a city full of thugs INTENDING to be violent.
But KC is not "full of" those kinds of people or incidents. In fact, they are quite rare. Violent acts are rarer than they have ever been in human history, in point of fact. You are much, much more likely to be catastrophically injured in a car accident than be the victim of any injurious crime. And the suburbs are, in fact, full of cars and roads.

Your fear, like so many people's reactionary and unjustified fear, is misplaced and irrational. It's also quite sad. It's like being so scared of snakes that you fear walking in grass.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM
 
13,718 posts, read 16,747,624 times
Reputation: 16767
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
You are confusing "buzzwords" with "racist code words".
How is "urban" racist? kcmo and other urban living promoters here talk urban all the time. There is nothing racist about it. All urban is to me is the older area of the city. And thugs are thugs, no matter what their race. There are white thugs; I don't like them any better than any other thug. But if you look at the statistics, the majority of the crime in Kansas City is being done by black thugs. It's not racist to state that fact. Look at arrest records and it's pretty clear.

I have black friends who think the same way I do. They have even said it's an embarrassment for black thugs to continue to commit crimes and behave the way they do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM
 
13,718 posts, read 16,747,624 times
Reputation: 16767
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
But KC is not "full of" those kinds of people or incidents. In fact, they are quite rare. Violent acts are rarer than they have ever been in human history, in point of fact. You are much, much more likely to be catastrophically injured in a car accident than be the victim of any injurious crime. And the suburbs are, in fact, full of cars and roads.

Your fear, like so many people's reactionary and unjustified fear, is misplaced and irrational. It's also quite sad. It's like being so scared of snakes that you fear walking in grass.
Well, on a crime index of 1 to 100, with 100 being the safest, Kansas City ranks a 3. So I'd say you are wrong. Wow! Kansas City is safer than 3% of other cities!

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I've walked in grass and fields my whole life. But if I lived near fields where the snake bite index was 3 on a scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the safest, I'd stay out of the fields.

Last edited by Yac; 01-14-2015 at 08:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 PM
 
13,718 posts, read 16,747,624 times
Reputation: 16767
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post

I think the reason so many companies move to JoCo KS is because most of the thugs don't actually live there.

The greatest concentration of thugs in JoCo can be found in one of the two jails (a second facility was built to house the growing number of thugs stupid enough to venture into JoCo with criminal intent).

New companies may be coming to KCMO - but, I bet a lot of their employees will choose to live in JoCo...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top