U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 PM

69 posts, read 180,269 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your well written, intelligent posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:06 PM

15,320 posts, read 21,167,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
They were no. 6 in Money mag's rankings in 2006- I doubt the quality of life could have dropped too strikingly within a year.

The reason it wasn't chosen this year is right on the Web site you linked to:
"For this year's list we focused on smaller places that offered the best combination of economic opportunity, good schools, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community."

OP has over 150k people, not the small town they were going for. Liberty has less than 30k.

You should really check your facts before accusing others of not.
That is a good deal for Liberty. Overland Park is getting way to crowded.
The population in OP is now around 166,000 this last time I checked.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:39 AM

82 posts, read 185,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
They were no. 6 in Money mag's rankings in 2006- I doubt the quality of life could have dropped too strikingly within a year.

The reason it wasn't chosen this year is right on the Web site you linked to:
"For this year's list we focused on smaller places that offered the best combination of economic opportunity, good schools, safe streets, things to do and a real sense of community."

OP has over 150k people, not the small town they were going for. Liberty has less than 30k.

You should really check your facts before accusing others of not.
You should do the same my man. Making a list one time does not qualify as perennial as was stated.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 AM

17 posts, read 60,837 times
My wife is a doc at Children's Mercy downtown, so I've got some familiarity with the high end of your price range. About half of the other docs live in Overland Park. If you love shopping and eating out, OP is the place to be. If you hate bad traffic and rude people, you will hate OP. The next favorite place is Lee's Summit, which is nearest to Raytown. It's got a slower pace and more rural feel. The rest live in either Liberty or Platte City. Both towns have the small, old-town feel with newer high end subdivisions on the outskirts.

You'll find that people in KC consider a commute over 20 minutes to be 'long'. Travelling 45 minutes will usually get you from any side of the city to the other, as long as the two endpoints are fairly close to interstates. Traffic is bad on I-35 from Lenexa through downtown, and until you get across the Paseo Bridge over the Missouri River. Traffic east of KC on I-70 is terrible. I-435 south of OP is pretty bad too. I-29, I-35 (N of river), I-635, and I-435 (W, N and E) are easy sailing.

As for specific subdivisions, I only know much about the I-29 and 152 corridors and newer subdivisions of Platte City and Riverside. Don't let people scare you about living north of the Missouri River, there're nine bridges across it. The only overloaded one is I-35.

Briarcliff at 169 and I-29 is a 10-20 yo subdivision in a densely treed hilltop/cliff. It's full of newer high end homes on beautiful lots. I think homes run around $400-800k.

Riss Lake (Riverside) west of 64th St. and I-29 is likely out of your price range unless you want a smaller home. The lots alone run in $100-200k. But they're also cut from a hilly, treed area and the expensive ones have a view of the lake. I think homes run $500k to $1m.

Thousand Oaks (Riverside) is mostly in your price range, with homes 0-15 yo. The homes are cut from densely wooded, slightly hilly land. Most back yards are heavily treed, though the front yards have few small trees. There are two pools, some small lakes and lots of walking trails.

Lakes of Oakmont (Platte City) has 0.5-1 acre lots and is nearly full. Between the home separation, added greenspace behind lots, and HOA ban on fences, the lots feel more like 2 acres. LoA is aimed at empty nesters and retirees; it has walking trails and two lakes, but no community pool. It also spans your exact price range. Platte City will likely hit the top end of your 45 minute commute time.

Seven Bridges (also Platte City) is just opening up. The first two phases are mostly farmland tracts, but there are a few sections that back to heavily treed creeks or other greenspace. Future phases will have many more treed greenspace lots. The draw of SB is the extensive landscaping and walking trails with waterfalls, streams and lakes, as well as the football field, 3 pools, and a 30k sqft clubhouse with indoor basketball court. It's aimed at active, neighborly people.

Staley Farms (NKC) is a golf community north of 152 and west/south of I-435. The golf/greenspace lots are around $150k. The rest is ex-farmland. Homes mostly run $400-600k, but there are some up to $1m. It's one of the many communities in the KC area that caters to golfers.

But since you'll be working in Raytown, I'd focus my home search on the Lee's Summit / OP area. One of the attractions of KC is that you can usually find highly affordable housing within 25 minutes of where ever you work. You might as well enjoy that.

Keep in mind that if you live or work in Kansas City, you'll have to pay 1% employment tax to the city. I'm not sure how state income taxes work if you work in MO and live in KS. Make sure you don't have to pay BOTH before buying a home in OP.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Exactly. 300,000 dollar home and linoleum floor in the kitchen, vermica counter tops, a 4x12 deck that might have a stairway, $50 ceiling fans, everything builders grade crap. But closets big enough to park a car in and a garage so big that it makes it hard to find the actual home, all on a lot with less actual space to play catch with your kids than most city lots and all those stupid utility boxes are in the way anyway. But you can see the entire neighborhood since there are no trees.

Yea, Iím not too fond of the ultra suburban living
I think you're just looking at the wrong subdivisions. If you only want to pay $100/sqft, you're going to get laminates, plastics and bulk builder pack fixtures. You only have to move up to about $130/sqft to get granite, hardwoods, stainless steel, custom built-ins, jaccuzi tubs, walkout basements and treed lots. Unfortunately, most people in KC only seem to care about square footage, good schools or safety.

So if you want a 3000sqft home for $300k, it's going to be ugly. But you can certainly build a georgous 2000sqft home for $300k or 3000sqft for $400k.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But even if you donít go north, donít go to JoCo, go to Leeís Summit, Blue Springs or Independence.
What subdivisions in Independence have homes worth $300-450k? I thought Independence was mostly lower to lower-middle class white people plus anyone with a meth habit.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:40 AM

7,732 posts, read 9,463,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relhak View Post
What subdivisions in Independence have homes worth $300-450k? I thought Independence was mostly lower to lower-middle class white people plus anyone with a meth habit.
must be from kansas....

Independence has a lot of high end housing. Most of it is east of Lee's Summit Road. There are some very high end subdivisions east of Indepedence Center, many start at 400k.

Northern Lee's Summit which meets Independence has similar housing.

You should get out more.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM

3 posts, read 5,922 times
I would definitely look into Lakewood. Nice community with older homes so not so cookie cutter. Plus closer to Raytown then OP and you dont have to deal with the interstate to get to and from. Taxes higher but that is pretty much anywhere here in MO and higher in KS. Personally though I wouldnt recommend anyone moving here...we came from AZ 2yrs ago. Crime(ok, better than St. Louis and Detroit but not by much) and taxes higher and FYI to anyone with kids....think long and hard before you move here for the safety of your kids.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,164 times
Default definitely not cookie cutter

I see your post was a few months ago so if you are still looking... or interested in building or just buying a lot first check out this area The Canyon Estates. It is very upscale and you have plenty of privacy. It is located in the Lee's Summit MO area with easy access to highways for commutes. Any home built in this community will not be built in the Kansas city area so your home will be totally unique. Feel free to email or call if you like what you see. Good Luck on your move!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM

419 posts, read 877,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03psd View Post
What a great resource this page is I am real glad I found it as I have learned more in 1 hour of just reading then I did speaking to 2 real estate agents for 4 hours

My wife and I may be relocating to the KC area. My company has an office in Raytown but I gather its not a great place to live. We have no kids so schools arent a huge factor other then good schools typically lead to higher property values. We are either looking for homes in the $300-$450k range or will build one to suit our needs. I do not want a cookie cutter house in what I call a "house farm" (clear cut land, no trees, houses stacked on top of each other). We are accustomed to a 30-45 minute commute so some distance is fine. We are not predisposed to either KS or MO so long as it is in a conservative, up scale area. If this means we are sort of "snobby" then so be it.

We would appreciate any input on established neighborhoods or growing areas where we could build.

Thanks
LOL how do you plan to avoid cookie-cutter and stay in a conservative neighborhood? Sorry, but "house farms: and conservatives go hand in hand.

Unique houses for the price range are in Brookside, some houses in Union Hill, Valentine Neighborhood, or Hyde park area. None of these are conservative neighborhoods.

The burbs are conservative, and they are all "house farms" as you call it.

EDIT:

Actually, as someone who has been looking for a unique house in the city, but can't afford it.. I will say there are a few areas up north KC that are nice and unique. Libertys older parts are very nice. Some areas of Parkville, etc... Briarcliff? Not sure. I really don't know enough of the neighborhoods.

I personally think of the most unique houses in the areas I listed above tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City