Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:16 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times

Advertisements

Technically KC is not in the Great Plains according to USGS even though represents the Plains economically. Denver city technically is in the Great Plains, not the Rockies even though it represents the latter. Denver, Chicago, Manhattan, entire state of Florida are flat, KC definitely not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:53 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,806,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
One night. Then I feel completely comfortable disregarding your opinion here. One night in anyplace can suck. My first night in Paris was terrible. I think I was wise not to write off the City of Lights based on that experience.
Yeah, I travel the world often enough and can safely declare KC is a decent foodie town if you look or get involved. There are also many places that suck, just like any city, especially anything appealing to mainstream like touristy areas. Some of the worst meals I had were in SF and NYC - and also great too once you explore or know where to go. KC also has many James Beard winners, more than most cities in Midwest.

I help prep cook with pirate dining parties a couple weekends a month, run by local chefs/friends doing popups or pseudo-public unlicensed dining. Last weekend - puerco pibil - pork butt rubbed with Yucatan achiote paste wrapped in banana leaves drenched in bottle of tequila slow cooked in a deep pit, served S Mexico street taco style with fresh corn tortillas from a local tortilleria and cilantro/onion/lime. Weekend before another 'pirate dining' popup - Thai laab/larb with lemongrass, roasted jasmine rice powder, mint/thai basil/Vietnamese coriander - served with panko crab cakes/lime leaves/ginger/green curry in a sweet rice vinegar fish sauce and Thai fried chili paste. Weekend before that Cajun tapas mashup: shrimp gasms - sauteed in cajun spices, drenched in cilantro/shallot/olive oil sauce, dip with baguette (that we made). I'm the one who prepped for all of this and there is a significant KC scene of foodies doing this. When not involved with popups, I sometimes help prep cook for a friend in Hyde Park (midtown KC) who does 'pirate dining' in her Victorian home - unlicensed dining with community tables setup in first floor. Her kid does the service, Downton Abbey style - cool sh|te.

E Coast foodies can be overrated. Their idea of spicy/zest is black pepper and most places out there way overcook food. They visit a touristy area in KC (or a sports bar???) and judge entire city based on single experience.

Edit: Another KC thing most don't know... there are a couple hundred Sommeliers in KC (difficult wine certification), most under tutelage of Doug Frost who lives in KC, one of 3 people in world that is a Master Sommelier and Master of Wine. He taught me how to tell old world vs new world wine making by first taste.

Last edited by xenokc; 05-19-2015 at 07:23 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 03:08 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Technically KC is not in the Great Plains according to USGS even though represents the Plains economically. Denver city technically is in the Great Plains, not the Rockies even though it represents the latter. Denver, Chicago, Manhattan, entire state of Florida are flat, KC definitely not.
But the city is nonetheless a city of the plains.

If you look at that map again, you will see that the Great Plains and the Central Lowland together make up the "Interior Plains."

The Central Lowland, however, is not as uniformly lacking in sharp local variances in elevation as the plains to its west, or, for that matter, as the Coastal Plain that begins a few miles southeast of where I post this in Philadelphia's Germantown section (which is located in the Atlantic Highlands; the fall line runs through the city).

Old 05-22-2015, 03:17 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post

E Coast foodies can be overrated. Their idea of spicy/zest is black pepper and most places out there way overcook food.
The East Coast palate has come a ways of late, especially in cities with significant immigration from abroad; Thai, Indian and Mexican restaurants, to name a few where foods seasoned with more than black pepper can be found, abound, but East Coast heat tolerance remains below that found in Kansas City and environs. I remember buying the "hot" variety a popular brand of pork breakfast sausage in the Mid-Atlantic region ("More Parks sausages, Mom! Please?" is its ad slogan) shortly after arriving in Philadelphia and thinking, "This would be 'medium' for R.B. Rice's sausage." (Is Rice's still around?)

Quote:
They visit a touristy area in KC (or a sports bar???) and judge entire city based on single experience.
Like this one, maybe?

I've got a great quote from R. Crosby Kemper III in the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City