Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Except that the reality for growing numbers, at least here in the Bay Area, is that the "smaller house" is a run-down apartment in a seedy neighborhood, sharing a bathroom with 3 or 4 others living hand-to-mouth, and throbbing to 24-hour partying above and below you.
But the Bay Area isn't Southern California. It's notoriously crazy up there, as it is in NYC when it comes to rent.

There are places in Southern California that have more reasonable rent and are decent (but not opulent) places. No, not in Santa Monica, and maybe an hour or two (or more) away from downtown LA. But Southern California is a large area.

Not that I'm claiming that the cost of living overall would be equivalent. But then, some will point out that you get what you pay for, as I think kcmo said.

Quote:
But yeah, I understand your point. KC is not going to compare, point-for-point, to SoCal's "attractions". And SoCal is not going to touch KC's with a ten-foot-pole.
As I keep on saying, it's what you're used to, what you're comparing it to, and what's important to you. People place a higher value on different things. I'm sure many people wonder why I care so much whether a place is flat, flat, flat, because that's simply not that important to them. And I'm sure that there are also plenty of folks who are used to snow and ice, and high humidity, and don't think that's too much of a big deal either. But others will find that horrible and something that makes months out of the year very unpleasant. Everyone has different standards as well as deal-breakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 12:40 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
My list is too long at the moment.
My fave city...the only one I have a list for!
LOVE IT! Has everything!

Except hot in the summer with little breeze.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't personally agree, as I have lived in much larger cities than KC (as well as much smaller communities, rural communities, etc.), and I absolutely find Kansas City charming, not underwhelming at all. I actually enjoy the ways it's different than larger cities in which I've lived. I tend to not compare apples and oranges, and enjoy places in their own right. There are absolutely people who can't/don't do that, though, and for them, x place will never measure up to y place.
Sure, it's good to judge things in their own right. No one should claim that a small town is going to offer as much as a big town. As has been pointed out, one of the virtues of a smaller town is that it is small!

But... if you don't want that, and you have someone telling you that it's "just as good as what you want" well, no! It's not what you want! It's not comparing to what you want.

I think that's where the problem lies.

Quote:
To some, "no mountain ranges" = "flat," though.
In the context I'm talking about, it's flat!

Quote:
Also, to some, "flat" = negative, an opinion to which I also don't subscribe. This is indicative of one of the landscapes I grew up around, a mix of agrarian flat lands and rolling hills around river valleys, and I definitely think it has its own beauty and peace.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4007/4...b2ed68f9_z.jpg

Also these:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/...869e215b40.jpg
http://www.mrwallpaper.com/wallpaper...-cornfield.jpg
They're lovely, but when that's all that's on the menu (more or less) and when that's not what you're looking for, then all the people in the world insisting that flat is pretty, or that flat is what you should want (not that you're saying that) is not going to cut it.

There's nothing wrong with loving flat or at least not being dissatisfied with it. But, there's also nothing wrong with loving mountains and wanting to be less than a few hours' drive away from them.

Quote:
I've never had the idea in my head that one type of landscape trumps the other (although I tend to personally much prefer places that aren't overcrowded with people, as an overabundance of people in too small a space tend to destroy the natural beauty in things, leaving a trail of debris and blight in their wake).
But it is what it is. If you want to live near the ocean, and you're not near the ocean, then you're not. No amount of people protesting that there's other pretty places besides the ocean, isn't going to change the fact that if a place isn't by the ocean, it's not by the ocean. Or the mountains, or the prairies, or whatever. People want what they want, and love what they love. There's no wrong or right of it, it's just what they love.

Quote:
There are also people who are temperamentally such that nothing will ever measure up to home. I'm not one of those people.
And that's fine too.

But nobody gets to decide for someone else what is pretty enough, or what feels like home, or whether a place measures up to what they want. We all put our own standards and expectations into the places we love. Someone not loving a place doesn't mean that they think that place is bad for everybody.

Sometimes I feel like people get this idea that we all must love the same place, in this case Kansas City, and it's some sort of affront of we all don't or can't appreciate it. But there's not reason for that. If I am not wowed by its charms, then so what? I'm not telling everyone else to stay away, or claiming that no one would ever love it just because I don't.

So what if I say it's flat? It is. That is one of the qualities of the midwest. It's self-evident. Flat is only a bad thing if you think it's bad. For me, it's just that I love mountains a lot, and obviously an abundance of flatness cancels out the possibility of mountains. If the flatness is a short drive away from mountains, then the flatness ceases to be a sticking point for me.

But, there's absolutely nothing wrong with liking flat, if that's what you like.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post

Sometimes I feel like people get this idea that we all must love the same place, in this case Kansas City...
Oh, not me, by any means.

I am 100% okay with KC being a hidden gem.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Oh, not me, by any means.

I am 100% okay with KC being a hidden gem.
Then I assume you're 100% okay with me not considering it or calling it a hidden gem? (Not that I'm saying that it wouldn't be for others.)

Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 PM

75 posts, read 143,801 times
Quote:
In the context I'm talking about, it's flat!
I lived in OC for 20 years & always thought it was flatter than Kansas until
you get into Mission Viejo & the Saddleback area or the hills around the beach cities.
You can see (sometimes) the San Gabriel & San Bernardino mountains in the distance,
but to me OC was very flat.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJon View Post
I lived in OC for 20 years & always thought it was flatter than Kansas until
you get into Mission Viejo & the Saddleback area or the hills around the beach cities.
You can see (sometimes) the San Gabriel & San Bernardino mountains in the distance,
but to me OC was very flat.
Yes, there are parts that are flat, but as you know, they are surrounded (or within easy driving distance) from places that are not flat! That makes a big difference.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:47 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Yes, there are parts that are flat, but as you know, they are surrounded (or within easy driving distance) from places that are not flat! That makes a big difference.
Well it sounds like your mind is already made up about KC but I thought I'd throw it out here for the record. KC is VERY HILLY compared to the rest of the Midwest. I lived in San Diego for 4 years before moving out here and yeah it isn't as hilly as it is there but if you ever visited somewhere like Chicago or Indy you would definitely be able to tell the difference. And as far as no mountains within driving distance? I beg to differ. These pictures were taken less than three hours from KC:

Old 03-28-2015, 11:04 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
The hilliest part of the Midwest is the Driftless Region of Wisconsin.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:20 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,199,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The hilliest part of the Midwest is the Driftless Region of Wisconsin.

Great pics! And yes- that's mostly true though I would say the Ozark area of MO could definitely give the Driftless a run for its money. But as far as hilly cities go, KC is one of the hilliest in the Midwest along with Cincinnati and smaller cities like Duluth, MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City