Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,443,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You heard that because, for the location you're talking about, it is the truth. But, as you've seen, stating that truth in this forum brings it to a boil quickly.

Radio Silence's advice is sound. Best of luck.
"Truth." That's hilarious. Try going into ANY corner of this forum proclaiming one area "better" to live in than another. Make sure and insist that it's "TRUE". Maybe then people will stop bothering with pesky things like "preferences" and "perspectives". While we're at it, let's dispense with "facts" too, because it's much easier to declare our opinions "true" and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
64114 is not that big of a zip code. It's roughly 75th St. to Avila University, and State Line to Holmes. I'm using a central location for my estimates, yes. Sure, you can go from the southern tip of Longview Lake to Avila University in 15 minutes. And you can easily spend 45 minutes driving to the state line from Lee's Summit. I'm trying to find a nice middle ground here.
It's relative, of course. But when you're talking about drive times, the fact that it takes 15 minutes to drive from one end of the zip code to the other means you can't boil down the length of a commute between two unspecified points. Naturally, it would help if the OP was more specific about the workplace in question.

Then again, he did say that commuting time was not a big factor. So whatevs.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,277,853 times
I drive to the far south boundary of 64114 every day from Mission, KS, and it averages a half hour.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:41 AM

348 posts, read 411,459 times
The OP did mention being from Houston which has some TERRIBLE traffic (and I think it's the 4th largest city in the US). I've lived in both Houston and KCMO. I really didn't enjoy it there at all. The "morning commute" in Houston is vastly different from anything I've ever seen in MO. I hated the toll roads / highways there so much that I took a slightly longer route to work and just took the 35 MPH surface roads the whole way. Memorial Drive in Houston is pretty scenic, so I actually enjoyed it...up until I got to Antoine Drive and the railroad tracks. haha

Perhaps the OP can elaborate more on what elements (besides schools) was most enjoyable about the community in Houston he and his family lived in and that he's looking for in KCMO.

-T.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:03 PM

237 posts, read 644,282 times
The schools are the most important thing to us. We currently live outside of Houston, about 25 miles from downtown. Wife and I both have about a 45min-hour commute, and it is only about 20-30 miles from where we live.

Where we live is mostly families with kids. Like I said we are in what has been named the best planned community in the country several times. Tons of pools, walking paths, etc. Also have shops, grocery stores, etc in the area.

We would like to have something similar, but also close to downtown KC. We enjoyed our time in the Plaza when we were there, and I loved going around the city and taking pictures.

We are currently in a house with about 3000 sq feet and 3 car garage. Would love to have at least the same. We have never had a house with a basement, so that would be something different.

Can't wait to get back to KC and take some more pictures.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,131,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickelfan View Post
WOW! Thanks for all the info. When I say Masterplanned....we have single family homes, but also have shopping, parks, walking paths, schools, pools, etc in our area.
In that case, I would suggest looking between 119th on the north and 135th on the south and between State Line on the east and Nall on the west. You can probably find a home in your price range somewhere in there but there will also be a lot more expensive homes as well. I mention that because there is a walking path/park at the vicinity of 119th and Mission and shopping/restaurants just west of there. And it's in Blue Valley School District, which is top notch.

Someone mentioned Mission Hills. Don't know what they are smoking, but no way you can buy a house in Mission Hills for $400,000. People pay $1 million for an old house in Mission Hills just to tear it down and build a new house on the lot.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Someone mentioned Mission Hills. Don't know what they are smoking, but no way you can buy a house in Mission Hills for $400,000. People pay $1 million for an old house in Mission Hills just to tear it down and build a new house on the lot.
Alright, then Fairway next door. I was mostly just referring to NE Johnson County, and didn't meant to limit it to Mission Hills only. $400k was the OP's starting budget, by the way, so I assumed 500 or 600 might be an option. This would be plenty to get into some really lovely NE JoCo neighborhoods, if not Mission Hills specifically.

Sorry I wasn't more clear and accurate with my advice the first go-round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City