Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 06:05 PM

26,400 posts, read 46,389,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
And KS is cutting school funding again while they will probably offer this company $40m in incentives to move 10 miles.

Brownback to cut education by $44.5 million amid budget shortfall | The Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star
You can't fix idiocy in the case of Brownback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 06:46 PM

975 posts, read 1,399,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
First off. Love the map. I'm a map nerd, so nice work.

But to be honest with you, if you were trying to make KC look like it's in good shape with that map, I'm not sure you succeeded. That map screams that there is something wrong in KC to me. Sure, the metro is growing faster than a few rustbelt cities, but why is KC always compared to St Louis and Cleveland? KC has just as many Denver and Indy and Phoenix traits as it does Cleveland and Milwaukee and Cincy.

KC is a hybrid city. It didn't get hammered by loss of heavy industry and has a very diverse economy. Compared to those rust belt towns, KC has room to grow, the infrastructure is better shape, KC has a ton great attractions, it has some very nice suburbs, it's in a central location and a regional city for millions of people. Yet....

I really do think that if KC had its act together, it would be growing at least the rate of Indy and Columbus. Probably somewhere between Indy and Denver.

I honestly think the regional issues that plague KC are the number one thing keeping KC rather stagnant. The city should be doing much better.
Well, maybe once KS finally succeeds in bankrupting itself than the region can grow.

I believe that the region is positioned very nicely to grow at a nice clip as soon as the border war ends.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:08 PM

53 posts, read 67,018 times
coming from a lay man, what was wrong with their old digs?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,779,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redman877 View Post
coming from a lay man, what was wrong with their old digs?
It's falling down! Look at this. They must move to Kansas!

Um it's all about the incentives. like I said, no big loss for KCMO. They will probably just back fill this northland office building with jobs new to the metro and KCMO won't have to use a fraction of the incentives that KS has to use to buy jobs from across state line.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,006,695 times
All this when I watched a news story (I believe on ABC) how the Milk and Dairy industries are hurting and worried more than ever because people are using on average less dairy products than ever.. So if Kansas does do this.. They are buying a company in an industry that is declining.. Great job again..

Kansas already gave quite a bit of money to Hawker Beechcraft in Wichita and that company has had constant issues with layoffs lately. AMC is probably not going to thrive either as movie theatres are not as popular as they once were. At least if Kansas wanted to be smart, It could go after business which should grow and possibly become very big in the future. Instead it goes after big business that is starting to decline.

Kansas is positioning itself to be much more like Mississippi and West Virginia and Oklahoma when people compare states to each other eventually. I hope those who voted for the individuals in office in that state enjoy what they are getting.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 AM

6,810 posts, read 11,472,231 times
What are the Dairy Farmers of America doing in KC anyway? Shouldn't they be in Wisconsin or somewhere like that?

Old 02-06-2015, 02:47 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,950,415 times
This move would be good for KCK and would help balance out the metro more. There have been recent rumors of a KCMO employer going into the old EPA HQ building in downtown KCK. I wonder if this is what that rumor was born from, or if it might also be in the works. I seem to call that employer was said to have about 1300 employees, while Dairy Farmers of America apparently has just a few hundred.

Last edited by MOKAN; 02-06-2015 at 02:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 06:50 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,450,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
This move would be good for KCK and would help balance out the metro more. There have been recent rumors of a KCMO employer going into the old EPA HQ building in downtown KCK. I wonder if this is what that rumor was born from, or if it might also be in the works. I seem to call that employer was said to have about 1300 employees, while Dairy Farmers of America apparently has just a few hundred.
What are you talking about? This story doesn't have anything to do with downtown KCK, and how would DFA getting something like $40m to move to Village East actually benefit anyone in Kansas?

Also, what do you mean by "balance"? That there should be as many corporate offices in the KS suburbs as the MO suburbs? Because my guess is that the KS suburbs are already way overloaded in this respect. Still, I'm not sure if this kind of "balance" really helps anyone.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,450,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
First off. Love the map. I'm a map nerd, so nice work.

But to be honest with you, if you were trying to make KC look like it's in good shape with that map, I'm not sure you succeeded. That map screams that there is something wrong in KC to me. Sure, the metro is growing faster than a few rustbelt cities, but why is KC always compared to St Louis and Cleveland? KC has just as many Denver and Indy and Phoenix traits as it does Cleveland and Milwaukee and Cincy.

KC is a hybrid city. It didn't get hammered by loss of heavy industry and has a very diverse economy. Compared to those rust belt towns, KC has room to grow, the infrastructure is better shape, KC has a ton great attractions, it has some very nice suburbs, it's in a central location and a regional city for millions of people. Yet....

I really do think that if KC had its act together, it would be growing at least the rate of Indy and Columbus. Probably somewhere between Indy and Denver.

I honestly think the regional issues that plague KC are the number one thing keeping KC rather stagnant. The city should be doing much better.
Thanks! I'm a mapaholic, myself, if you haven't noticed. I probably need professional help.

To answer your question, I wasn't necessarily trying to make KC look like it's in good shape. Instead I was just trying to counter the "doom and gloom" attitude of some on this forum. I think the important thing is to be able to make apples-to-apples comparisons, as much as possible. You say we get compared to St Louis and Cleveland a lot, but I think there's more to it than that.

Here are the categories as I see them, in the order of most growth to least:

1. Texas
2. Mid-Atlantic/Mid-South
3. Florida
4. PNW/Rockies
5. California
6. Midwest
7. Northeast

So KC is in the second-to-last category for growth, along with winners like Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Columbus (as well as OKC, if it were large enough to qualify for this map.) But there are also a lot of losers, like Milwaukee, Chicago, St Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Cleveland. Those last two lost numbers, as we know, and the rest had growth stats that weren't even close to KC.

So in our region we were beat out by three top-40 metros, but we beat out seven. It's not chest-thumping success, but I believe it's enough to see the glass as half-full.

P.S. I know you compare KC to Denver, whereas I put it in a category with Seattle and Portland. It's up for debate of course, but I think Denver's geographical setting (with tourism plus a HUGE economic footprint), as well as its new-money economy and progressive culture, give it advantages more comparable to the Pacific Northwest than the Midwest.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:37 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,779,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with the EPA building. This is for another STAR bond project in western KCK. I think all that STAR bond sprawl is a waste of tax money when the actual KCK has barely changed for the better in 50 years.

It would be great for KCK to backfill the EPA building. It's still mind boggling that the EPA moved from that custom building designed specifically for the EPA to Lenexa (into another taxpayer funded building built for Applebees who also moves around the metro for free). The KC location of the EPA is the only non urban EPA location and it goes against everything that agency is supposed to stand for. But whatever, different topic.

So, yes, I would love to see the EPA building used again, especially before new buildings are thrown up in the middle of nowhere. However, I still don't see why Kansas can't get jobs without poaching from KCMO!

Once again, if Kansas is such a desirable place to do business then why is it so difficult for the state to lure new jobs that are not from right across state line in the KC area?

People in Kansas are so clueless to what's going on. They just think that Kansas is a great place to do business and companies are moving there because it's better than Missouri. Yet, almost all the new jobs that come to the metro area land on the Missouri side, not the Kansas side. Despite the poaching, the Missouri side gained more jobs than the KS side did last year overall and the MO side brought it far more new jobs to the metro than the Kansas side.

Kansas will literally write a blank check to anybody that would consider going there. But the only takers they ever get are companies already established near the border where employees don't have to actually move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City