U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:44 AM

14 posts, read 14,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I wouldn't care what they built in the crossroads as long as it's built on a surface lot. Nothing should ever be torn down in urban kcmo to build something. There are so many empty lots to build on. Although I do agree that 12-18 stories would be ideal west of Main, I think you could go taller as you go further east.
I'm 100% there with you on that. It's amazing how many surface lots there are in the crossroads area. There is absolutely no reason to tear down an existing building to put something else in. The urban fabric of the crossroads neighborhood is very appealing and we should do our very best to maintain it.

And yes, I do think the towers could get a bit taller as you go east from Main St.

I wonder if the city considers the view from Liberty Memorial when building in downtown and crossroads. It almost seems to me that the convention center hotel faces the way it does so that the famous Power & Light Building would remain unobscured from the Memorial. It makes me wonder how tall they'd be willing to go in crossroads.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 10:53 AM

11,010 posts, read 20,834,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCitian View Post
I'm 100% there with you on that. It's amazing how many surface lots there are in the crossroads area. There is absolutely no reason to tear down an existing building to put something else in. The urban fabric of the crossroads neighborhood is very appealing and we should do our very best to maintain it.

And yes, I do think the towers could get a bit taller as you go east from Main St.

I wonder if the city considers the view from Liberty Memorial when building in downtown and crossroads. It almost seems to me that the convention center hotel faces the way it does so that the famous Power & Light Building would remain unobscured from the Memorial. It makes me wonder how tall they'd be willing to go in crossroads.
I would actually prefer the hotel to be the shorter height for aesthetic reasons to preserve the view of the top of the P&L tower. I wouldn't want to stop the hotel from being built just because it blocks another building, but if I had a choice, I would for sure choose a slightly shorter tower at that location.

It's just a boxy hotel tower, I'm not sure you want it to become the focal point of the skyline and yes, I'm sure that the designers took into account having a massive bland and blank wall blocking the P&L tower from the memorial. Had it been rotated 90 degrees, I do think you would have had a lot of push back on the design. I think they did their homework and wanted to get something built with as little resistance as possible.

I actually wish it were larger though, but Downtown is adding hundreds of other room in other hotels, so hopefully that will help close the gap. Downtown KC has WAY less hotel rooms than most mid sized cities which is another reason to get to streetcar expanded to the plaza. The streetcar to crown center hotels plus the new hotels should get KC back in the convention game though.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM

At only 360 feet in height, I don't think the convention center hotel is going to become the focal point of the skyline, but I understand your sentiment.

I personally like seeing some vertical construction in Kansas City. It gives me some hope.

I think the street car should be expanded to the plaza as well. Who knows when that is going to happen, though. I hope relatively soon. If the street car were currently running, and it went all the way down to the plaza, I'd be much more likely to go downtown on a regular basis. I'd probably purchase a monthly street car pass, to tell you the truth.

With it going from the river market to crown center? Definitely not going to buy a monthly pass.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:49 PM

1,553 posts, read 1,656,460 times
No monthly pass will be necessary -- the streetcar will be operated as a gratis amenity. No fare collected.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
At only 360 feet in height, I don't think the convention center hotel is going to become the focal point of the skyline, but I understand your sentiment.

I personally like seeing some vertical construction in Kansas City. It gives me some hope.

I think the street car should be expanded to the plaza as well. Who knows when that is going to happen, though. I hope relatively soon. If the street car were currently running, and it went all the way down to the plaza, I'd be much more likely to go downtown on a regular basis. I'd probably purchase a monthly street car pass, to tell you the truth.

With it going from the river market to crown center? Definitely not going to buy a monthly pass.
I mean, I like the 360 height just fine and may have chosen it over the renderings which it at over 500 feet, although if it meant over 1000 rooms, I would take the height. I don't care "that" much about it.

They really need to get the streetcar to the plaza quickly or it will be running up and down Main street empty way too often which will give the streetcar a bad image as if it were a failure. Although it could get it expanded since most will say it doesn't go anywhere.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 PM

Oh, I didn't realize that. They're not charging people to use the street car?

Well, I'd use it all the time if it were on the plaza.

I'll use it occassionally as it is.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I mean, I like the 360 height just fine and may have chosen it over the renderings which it at over 500 feet, although if it meant over 1000 rooms, I would take the height. I don't care "that" much about it.

They really need to get the streetcar to the plaza quickly or it will be running up and down Main street empty way too often which will give the streetcar a bad image as if it were a failure. Although it could get it expanded since most will say it doesn't go anywhere.
If KC isn't careful, it could have a catch-22 situation with the street car.

Some won't want it expanded because they'll say not enough people ride it and KC has already spent enough on the project.

Others will say they want it expanded because more people would ride if it were longer.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
If KC isn't careful, it could have a catch-22 situation with the street car.

Some won't want it expanded because they'll say not enough people ride it and KC has already spent enough on the project.

Others will say they want it expanded because more people would ride if it were longer.
The ridership will be way too low to keep it open just to union station for years. Honestly the options are to either expand it or pull the streetcars off the tracks till they can expand it. Especially since there is no regional rail feeding into it. (commuters coming in and using it). I don't see it running that route too long without expansion plans in place.

I really think those in city hall are smart enough to realize this. Like the airport, convention hotel etc, you need city council to do what's right, not what typical residents think is right. The average citizen knows almost nothing about urban planning, transit, convention industry etc, they just see corrupt politicians spending their tax money. KC actually has a pretty good mayor and city council that tend to do what is in the best interest of the city and the city's long term economy. I think for that reason, you will see the streetcar expanded somehow, just like the city has been able to get a lot of things done in the past ten years that most of the public would not have agreed with.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:31 PM

I was worried this might happen. I don't think Hyatt will do this project without the catering deal. Any ideas on alternatives?

Convention hotel catering plan: 'We don't think it's right' - Kansas City Business Journal

Old 07-29-2015, 11:28 AM

24 posts, read 27,050 times
I can't put a written source to it, but, I've heard that a member of the development team for the hotel has said that while the rendering we have been seeing is for 1000 rooms instead of 800 that the plan is to reduce the shorter tower (facing Truman) instead of the taller tower (facing Baltimore).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City