U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:35 AM

28 posts, read 28,393 times

Advertisements

KC announces 800 room Hyatt downtown convention center hotel this morning.

Planning accelerates for downtown Kansas City convention hotel | The Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 10:47 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,343,814 times
That looks great!

Old 05-11-2015, 12:43 PM

11,003 posts, read 20,652,089 times
Yea, it will really help pull the Crown Center and Loop skylines together. There is a 14 story apartment building going up at 20th Street which will be tallest in area between the CBD and CC skylines. Plus the 25 story apartment tower at 14th and Grand and 10 story marriott at 16th and Baltimore. So this is all nice fill in development between the CBD and Crown Center.

Here is a model of the convention center with the new Hyatt.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,522,261 times
I saw it as well. I was excited until I thought about why KC needs it. A new convention center is great and all... but KC needs to draw conventions first.

This isn't like that movie where "if we build it, they will come" because we are throwing a lot of money (bonds) at the companies to do this, the companies don't care if KC draws huge crowds really, they won't market for it. And KC doesn't really have a lot going for it in the crowd drawing arena. I mean, like I said in other thread, our airport wouldn't even handle a huge crowd, and the highways wouldn't handle the traffic if they came by car either.

It'll end up another convention center like in Overland Park, it's nice, it works, and it draws "small to medium" crowds a few times a year. Seems like a lot of wasted money to just build it and not work on drawing people to it. I mean maybe if the Chiefs/Royals/Sporting KC/Kauffman/Sprint center all had events the same day, then KC would have a crowd large enough but I just can't see people coming here for longer than 1 or 2 nights. Almost everyone else already in the region and go home to sleep.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:25 PM

684 posts, read 666,357 times
After years and years of conventions leaving KC, we needed this! This is great for downtown, for Missouri, and for the entire region.

A city in our nation's center, there's no reason why we shouldn't be higher on the list of convention cities. I saw a list that had KC ranked as 18th for US convention destinations. Couldn't find the link though.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:16 PM

6 posts, read 14,042 times
I think this will really help KC become more noticed and help even out the skyline!

Old 05-11-2015, 06:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,379,602 times
Very nice! I looked & loooked but couldn't find this info... How many floors is the hotel proposed for?

Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 PM

24 posts, read 35,151 times
Wonderful news!

Congrats, KC!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:23 AM

14,174 posts, read 24,343,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I saw it as well. I was excited until I thought about why KC needs it. A new convention center is great and all... but KC needs to draw conventions first.

This isn't like that movie where "if we build it, they will come" because we are throwing a lot of money (bonds) at the companies to do this, the companies don't care if KC draws huge crowds really, they won't market for it. And KC doesn't really have a lot going for it in the crowd drawing arena. I mean, like I said in other thread, our airport wouldn't even handle a huge crowd, and the highways wouldn't handle the traffic if they came by car either.

It'll end up another convention center like in Overland Park, it's nice, it works, and it draws "small to medium" crowds a few times a year. Seems like a lot of wasted money to just build it and not work on drawing people to it. I mean maybe if the Chiefs/Royals/Sporting KC/Kauffman/Sprint center all had events the same day, then KC would have a crowd large enough but I just can't see people coming here for longer than 1 or 2 nights. Almost everyone else already in the region and go home to sleep.
And there's that KC attitude

You can't attract large conventions if you don't have anywhere nice for people to stay by the convention center. And with the PAC and P&L District, there's now a fair amount of things for people to walk to from there. Even take the new trolly down to Crown Center. This is exactly what KC needs!

And as for the "highways", what are you talking about? Traffic isn't a problem in KC. The airport... well yeah, it's an eyesore. But I'm sure it'll still handle people coming in for conventions.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:46 AM

11,003 posts, read 20,652,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post

As a person that has very closely followed the convention industry, especially in KC, I can tell you that KC needs this hotel terribly and needed it many years ago. The city is not exaggerating with the stats of how many conventions KC has missed out on, especially recently (post p&l district).

First off, there is zero comparison to the Overland Park Convention Center. KCMO and Overland park are in two very different leagues when it comes to conventions. Overland Park is mostly for local events and trade shows and larger state conventions that want to stay in Kansas. There is almost no demand for national conventions to be held in suburban locations like Overland Park miles from urban culture and entertainment and a ridiculous distance from the airport. Yet suburbs across the country continue to build them. It's also MUCH smaller than the KCMO convention center. I have actually heard that the KCI Expo Center bring in more actual conventions than the larger and more expensive OP Convention Center simply because it's near the airport.

KC on the other hand has built one of the best convention center complexes and hospitality packages in the nation. It's one of the largest "column free" exhibit halls, has one of the largest ballrooms, a 10k seat arena, theater venues and is within walking distance of the Sprint Center, Performing Arts Center and P&L District (which is perfect for conventions) will be a five minute streetcar ride away from Crown Center, WWI Museum, Union Station and City Market. all in a central location to most of the country.

The ONLY thing KC is missing is a major hotel near Bartle Hall. KC has plenty of hotel rooms citywide and across the metro, but KC has always lagged WAY behind every other mid sized city when it comes to downtown hotel rooms near the convention center which has totally wasted much of the investment KCMO has spent downtown by waiting so long to get this done. The Plaza and Crown Center have a lot of rooms, but they don't work well logistically for conventions. The streetcar will help tremendously to bring the two large Crown Center hotels close to the convention center, but the convention center still needs a major modern headquarters hotel. While it's only 800 rooms when the city is short a few thousand compared to most cities, it should be enough to get KC back into the game, especially when combined with all the other hotel projects going downtown now. KC will add a couple thousand hotel rooms in the downtown area over the next several years. Having a major hotel flag in a modern new tower that can efficiently deal with catering of the ballroom and convention center is a must. If the city wasn't gong to get this hotel done, they should have never built a 200 million dollar ballroom or expanded Bartle Hall. This hotel will finally help the city utilize the convention center it built and it will do wonders to drive traffic to the P&L district and reduce the city's debt service to that.

Like I said, long overdue and typical of conservative KC, but I do think they got it right. I can't think of anything wrong with this proposal. The location is perfect, the design of the tower is great, the financing package makes sense. The new Olathe Embassy Suites hotel is a 50 million dollar project with the city funding 20 million of it. That project is will not bring anything new to JoCo that already isn't at the OP Convention Center. This project in KCMO is a 300 million dollar hotel that will need about 50-70 million in help from the city and this hotel will easily bring in that much in new revenue to the city.

Nice work KCMO. Get it built so you can move on to other projects like improving KCI and decking the freeway downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or