Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2015, 04:16 PM

8 posts, read 13,045 times

Advertisements

I am a SWF, 26, a single mom, with a 5 year-old and a 19 year-old sister great credit history, and income from online work I do that meet guidelines for me to rent a place for up to $1,250/ month. Currently I live in Texas, but am moving this summer to KC

My sister is going to go to school. She cannot afford the dorm, so I am moving to KCMO to provide a place for her (out parents are deceased).

So we cannot live in IKS or else my sister will not be instate tuition!

My question is: what are safe areas in which to live? UMKC area has few homes for rent. I am selling my home in Texas, and I need the room of a house, instead of an apartment. I want to not have to carry mace when I take my daughter out for a walk. My sister likes to job, so while we stay to ourselves, we do like to go outside. I know no area is totally safe, and I do not mind living in mixed areas, I seek safety. I wonder about Waldo? What about east of Paseo?

I want to be within 5-7 miles of the UMKC campus, and most of what I find on-line is to the east. But, I see such low rents and descriptions of bars on windows. I do not want to feel like I am in the Alamo. Zips 64130? 64132 around 75 - 89th streets? 64131? I am really at a loss, and I need to fly into MCI in a few weeks and find a place in a day or two. So I would like to get a list of places on-line. Can you help me?

I need some help in finding a safe place to live, can you help me?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 04:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
Of those zip codes, I would start with 64131. Kansas City considers Troost Ave. the physical representation of socio-economic division in Kansas City. West of Troost is good, east of Troost is not-so-good. How close do you need to be to UMKC?

In a quick CL search, I found this house for rent in the Waldo neighborhood.
Charming House For Rent

Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Do you need close because she won't be driving? If she ops to ride a bike and can do it for a few miles further than walking, Waldo is okay around there. Getting too near the plaza gets expensive. Waldo houses aren't much bigger than a large apartment though, you have a yard though (if you care to mow it).

I remember my friends living south going down Troost towards Research Medical (I forget the name of street) and it's near that big intersection. They were older apartments but seemed well kept by the management and they seemed to like it. Nothing you want to make a forever home but good for 4 years of college. But I'm not sure if I've been "gentrified" but I hear that isn't an area to be around these days but I haven't visited since I left college either. I don't mind being in a poorer (lets just say black) neighborhood though as long as it is safe. But Research Medical does have a busy ER for shootings/crime so... maybe the area has gotten worse in the last years.

I'd say the northland would be good if she can drive, don't count on the buses they are way too slow (took me 2 hours in the winter when I tried once) and it was a 25 minute drive to UMKC if I went myself.

I might be wrong, but the biggest problem you'll find aside from being near UMKC is that your son will also need a good school, and well, that area isn't good for public schools... Not sure if a 5 year old would be in school or not, but if you plan to stay until sister is done with college, he will be in school by that time.

And for in state tutition, I think she may have to live here for a year before she gets it. So I don't know if you planned for it, or if you guys will life here for a year first and she can take community college classes then transfer the credit.

yeah 64131 would be the "better" zip code, but that area is still hit or mess just between the difference of a couple streets.

What does she plan to study? Some neighborhoods might be more "influential" for certain study (arts vs history, vs science (library material)). Or if she plans to work as well.

Look into an area with google fiber if possible, since you said you work online, you might as well get what's "best" in town for internet (I consider it best, not sure how other people rank it)

Old 05-22-2015, 08:32 AM

Thank you for the great tips, any additional would be appreciated.

Re distance UMKC Volker campus - we only have 1 car, so I need to drive my sister to UMKC, and she already registered, chem is at 7:40 am MWF and then there is a 4 hour break and then Bio. So it would be nice if by car my drive time from the rental house was no more than 15 min, 10 min would be incredible. My sister is in her 2nd year of survival from breast cancer, she is strong, but sometimes the meds weaken her, so I prefer to drive her. Since our parents passed, I have done everything to make them proud as they look down upon us from heaven : )

Yes out of state is a killer at UMKC, I can do 1 1/2 years this way, but cannot do more. Instate is 1/2 out of state, so clearly it must be a Mo rental.

We were in KC a few days for registration, but had to get back to Richardson, Tx. I found places very safe and reasonable south of 435, and left thinking they would work. But after getting home, I thought about the congestion on 71, and the drive did take 30 minutes one way, and well it really is not the best choice given our circumstances. I had looked east of 71, but alas I did not feel safe, I sure would not walk those streets at night. So I know there are areas to avoid, but not exactly their location.

Given that south of 435 did not work, I am starting all over again on my search - trying to find closer (10-15 minute drive to Volker campus) and safe. Plaza would work, but I cannot afford that under any circumstances. A 23 bedroom bungalow with a/c would be nice, something around 1,000 square feet, it does not need to be fancy, it is just a rental.

So homes to rent that are within 15 minute drive to UMKC Volker campus and SAFE for a woman to jog at night as well as walk her toddler?

THANK YOU : )

Old 05-22-2015, 08:42 AM

PS Is midtown like on 28th street safe, even if it is East of Paseo? I found some listings midtown for Brooklyn etc, but I am not sure what is and what is not safe? Perhaps Waldo is better? But how far of a drive is Waldo from UMKC?

Sorry for so many questions but I am really lost and needing help!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
I would concentrate on Waldo or the 49/63 neighborhood. Both would be very close and are safe areas . You might also look into the northeastern parts of Raytown which is a decent, yet modest area and would be an easy commute to UMKC.

And you don't have to stay in Missouri, there is a "metro rate" for students attending UMKC so you might also look at areas like Roeland Park and Mission.

http://www.umkc.edu/finadmin/cashier...assistance.asp

Old 05-22-2015, 11:47 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,424 times
UMKC students get a free bus pass (well it's included in student fee) and living most anywhere along this bus line is doable, though'd I'd consider 39th/Main to Linwood/Main as less desirable than rest of this line even though improving. Waldo is very affordable, up and coming and not far from UMKC.

Note UMKC near bottom of this line. However dashed part of line is not to scale, Waldo is further S than appears on the map...

Last edited by xenokc; 05-22-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 12:06 PM

Raytown? Isn't that East of Troost and Paseo, which are areas that I should avoid?

Raytown looks very nice from Zillow, but is Raytown being east safe?

Sorry, I am not able to look at the areas by driving since I am in Richardson, and my next trip, I want to have a place picked out.

Re tuition - my sister got accepted into the 6-year BA/MD program, out of state is $62,000/ year, regional is $45,000 and MO resident is $30,000. So as my sister's guardian, we are all moving forever to Mo, and hopefully she will do her residency in Mo and practice med in Mo. But, paying for books and tuition and such is a killer, so there is not much left over in my budget. I can handle up to $1,400 / mo rent and meet the income test but that is my very max. I prefer 3 bedroom for $800 to $1,200 range, but close commute to the Volker Campus and SAFE for 3 girls living alone.

Could Raytown "fit" that?

Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Most of Raytown is fine, especially the north or northeast and eastern sides of it. The far south and west sides of Raytown are not quite as nice, but even those areas are not dangerous or anything. It’s areas south of Raytown in KCMO proper that you really need to be careful with such as Hickman Mills and especially Ruskin which is just north of Grandview in KCMO proper.

When people say the east side (east of Troost, Paseo etc), they are talking about the east side of the city inside of 435. Once you get east of 435 (and stay north of 87th), things progressively get nicer the further east you go all the way out to southern Independence, most of Blue Springs and all of Lee’s Summit.

There are some really nice neighborhoods in Raytown. I still have family there and visit a few times a year. Raytown has somewhat of a bad image from people in other parts of the metro because they think the stadiums and the old Bannister Mall are in Raytown and associate those rather run down areas with Raytown when Raytown is a separate place, so much of the reputation is un-deserved. Now Raytown is not affluent, it's just down to earth working class 1970’s era suburbia. People are not materialistic etc. But that doesn't mean it's not a decent area. It’s very residential. Other than Walmart, you will be driving to Independence and Lee’s Summit a lot, but for affordable safe neighborhoods in a closer in area, you could find something in Raytown I think.

Last edited by kcmo; 05-22-2015 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 01:40 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
You should be able to find plenty in that price range in Volker, West
Plaza and Roanoke neighborhoods. Safe, fun, 10 minutes at most from UMKC, lots of rental houses. Try searching zip code 64111, or checking out craiglist ads with the tag 'KU Med' or 'West Plaza'.

Waldo (the north end of 64114, which is a HUGE zip code, goegraphically) is also a perfectly fine, safe and fun option anywhere west of Troost or Holmes. It is about 5-10 minutes away, though it could vary a little. I would also look at eastern Brookside 64113, though pickings will be the slimmest in Brookside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City