Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:50 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

Here's what I don't understand about KCI...

KCI airport probably has the capacity to serve a larger amount of people: most of Western MO, Eastern KS (E of Lawrence). STL serves mostly the STL metro area, and probably most of Eastern MO. Yet, why is STL so much better than KCI.

Prices also vary widely as well. Most flights from STL are at least 10-30% cheaper than flights from KCI. I actually have to drive all the way to the other side of the state to fly from STL because my flight was $150 cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 07:14 PM

495 posts, read 778,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I know I know. you never never ever can talk about anything negative on this forum. Even though 90% of my posts are totally positive posts (or meant to make KC a better place) and probably some of more pro kcmo comprehensive and promoting threads on the internet , if I so much as post anything that is something you don't agree with, I'm a troll. Got it. Don't give a flying *** but, but got it . By the way it's relative. 200 million to wichita is 1.5 billion to KC. And by no means what so ever did I even hint that Wichita is a better or more progressive city than KC. It was just to make a quick point that they now have a much nicer place to catch a flight than KC does and as a frequent flyer, there are many cities the size of Wichita that have nicer airport terminals than KC with more basic amenities. I flew to OKC last week and their airport makes KCI look like it should be called Topeka Regional. Your response is so freaking "kansas city" though....
We don't even know yet what the future of KCI is. It could be a new terminal or a major upgrade. No decision or vote has been made. Kansas City has a ton of momentum going on right now with the starter trolley line, One Light topping out, Two light announced, Hyatt, etc. A new airport is not the end all to Kansas City. Something will happen, we all know it. The City is just doing its due diligence to determine what the next step is.

And again I don't think you are a troll. I respect your opinion and appreciate your passion and photos you contribute. I just don't get the whole airport thing I guess. I fly 3-4 times a year but the airport I fly out of or into is usually the last thing on my mind. I don't judge a city by its airport, but unfortunately there are people that do. KCI isn't a mess, it's just a no frills airport.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Quote:
Oh, I expected it and replied, well mostly from the crown vic crowd, not the KC supporters but no hurt feelings here. KC needs a new terminal and most people in KC are stubborn and actually ignorant as to why or the situation would not be dragging out for decades. Sorry if this was such an aggressive post that people can't handle.

My next thread will be about the Light Rail System in Norfolk, VA! Get ready for that one, it's going to really hurt your feelings.

"taunting fame bate thread".

Hilarious.

(not really going to post about the norfolk light rail...)
You *may* have some valid points, but the attitude behind your posts comes close to violating some TOS I would imagine. There is a constructive way to criticize, and then there's a destructive way. Please learn the difference.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:29 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Here's what I don't understand about KCI...

KCI airport probably has the capacity to serve a larger amount of people: most of Western MO, Eastern KS (E of Lawrence). STL serves mostly the STL metro area, and probably most of Eastern MO. Yet, why is STL so much better than KCI.

Prices also vary widely as well. Most flights from STL are at least 10-30% cheaper than flights from KCI. I actually have to drive all the way to the other side of the state to fly from STL because my flight was $150 cheaper.
That's a shame, for sure. But it's also a shame that 20 gallons of gas and 8 hours driving time (round-trip) isn't worth $150 to you. (But, to each his own.) Unless, of course, there were two or more of you. Then it's a no-brainer.

(Also there's parking. But that depends on whether you have a friend you can shuttle you to the airport and back if you fly KCI, and how many days you'll have to pay for parking at STL.)

Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
You *may* have some valid points, but the attitude behind your posts comes close to violating some TOS I would imagine. There is a constructive way to criticize, and then there's a destructive way. Please learn the difference.
Wow, never knew that saying that Wichita has a nicer airport terminal than Kansas City was so upsetting to so many people. KCI's terminal is embarrassing and KC deserves better. I was only stating that Wichita has a nicer place to catch a flight than KC and that should give people pause.

But because people are so freaking thin skinned in KC, I'm called called out for taunting and flame baiting and when I reply with a somewhat sarcastic reply, you don't like that either.

Dulles airport sucks too for lots of reasons and there are many posts about it. KC people need to stop taking things so personally and grow some thicker skin. KC is a fantastic city with a ton of positive things going on of which I have started a great deal of threads about, but you can still discuss the things it needs to improve and KCI should be working its way to becoming a higher priority pretty quickly by those hat actually want to see KC improve and evolve.

Much like the new convention hotel, streetcar etc, it would never happen otherwise.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
^You honestly thought this thread was going to encourage constructive discussion? There are already KCI threads that you could have posted this to but you clearly wanted to taunt.

Creating a taunting thread isn't the point - it's that you thought no one would have reacted negatively, and even call anyone who do 'thin skinned'.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:59 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Wow, never knew that saying that Wichita has a nicer airport terminal than Kansas City was so upsetting to so many people. KCI's terminal is embarrassing and KC deserves better. I was only stating that Wichita has a nicer place to catch a flight than KC and that should give people pause.

But because people are so freaking thin skinned in KC, I'm called called out for taunting and flame baiting and when I reply with a somewhat sarcastic reply, you don't like that either.

Dulles airport sucks too for lots of reasons and there are many posts about it. KC people need to stop taking things so personally and grow some thicker skin.
What you are willfully ignoring or maybe just too obtuse on this issue to recognize is that we are not being thin-skinned, quite the opposite in fact. People here like KCI, they are not embarrassed by it. In point of fact, I don't like KCI and agree it should be replaced with a nice single terminal airport, and I'm STILL NOT EMBARASSED by anything about it or by the very clear desire of the vast majority of metro residents who don't agree with me that KCI should be replaced with a single terminal airport.

That's not thin-skinnedness. That's the opposite, which is not letting outsiders determine what we should have, what we "should be" embarrassed by, or what we should prioritize. That's called self-confidence.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
That's a shame, for sure. But it's also a shame that 20 gallons of gas and 8 hours driving time (round-trip) isn't worth $150 to you. (But, to each his own.) Unless, of course, there were two or more of you. Then it's a no-brainer.

(Also there's parking. But that depends on whether you have a friend you can shuttle you to the airport and back if you fly KCI, and how many days you'll have to pay for parking at STL.)
I live near Lone Jack, so the KCI airport is a around an hour away. STL is a little over 3hr away.

Gas to and from STL should be around $30. I am flying to Europe and the cheapest flights from KCI had two layovers. STL only had one layover (I'd almost pay MORE to have one fewer layover), and the flight was $150 cheaper. Since the wife is going with us, that's $300 saved. The difference in gas is minimal.

I would have considered KCI if someone would have been willing to take us up there. The parking savings would have made up for it.

On another note, I've only been to KCI one time. I found the STL airport much easier to navigate in the car. Right off I-70. I remember getting somewhat confused driving around KCI. Never had that trouble at STL.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:02 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
What you are willfully ignoring or maybe just too obtuse on this issue to recognize is that we are not being thin-skinned, quite the opposite in fact. People here like KCI, they are not embarrassed by it. In point of fact, I don't like KCI and agree it should be replaced with a nice single terminal airport, and I'm STILL NOT EMBARASSED by anything about it or by the very clear desire of the vast majority of metro residents who don't agree with me that KCI should be replaced with a single terminal airport.

That's not thin-skinnedness. That's the opposite, which is not letting outsiders determine what we should have, what we "should be" embarrassed by, or what we should prioritize. That's called self-confidence.
You've nailed it....excellent post.

Thank you.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
What is with the nasty attitude toward kcmo? A troll, seriously? He's contributed more useful information to this subforum than most of the other posters combined. Just look at the sticky thread or the construction threads. Certainly beats the endless hyperbole, conjecture and anecdotes that many of his detractors rely on. Researching and compiling information takes time and effort. It's not something "trolls" do. You don't have to agree with all of his opinions, but at least give the guy some credit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City