Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 02:02 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times

Advertisements

[/img]

Old 06-05-2015, 07:29 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Or just print up your own t-shirt that says "Kansas City-less Kansas, more City"
That's pretty great. It reminds me of a shirt I saw in Vancouver, WA. (Now there's a city with a naming problem. Many of them just say they're from Portland, otherwise people think they're in a different country!) The shirt says: "Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)".

But to add some perspective, try to imagine what percentage of people in the world can say where they're from in one or three words, and achieve any kind of accuracy in the mind of the listener. Everyone has associations and stereotypes and assumptions about every place in the world, which will be untrue for the majority of people who live there. "You're from Los Angeles? You must be a struggling entertainer, or a surfer. You're from Minnesota? You must be a Lutheran. You're from Kenya? You must be a track star. You're from Australia? You must be a Wallaby rancher throwing shrimps on the barbie with one hand and protecting your baby from the dingos with the other."

Sorry KC, you're not unique. Everybody has the same problem.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:44 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
That's pretty great. It reminds me of a shirt I saw in Vancouver, WA. (Now there's a city with a naming problem. Many of them just say they're from Portland, otherwise people think they're in a different country!) The shirt says: "Vancouver (not BC), Washington (not DC)".

But to add some perspective, try to imagine what percentage of people in the world can say where they're from in one or three words, and achieve any kind of accuracy in the mind of the listener. Everyone has associations and stereotypes and assumptions about every place in the world, which will be untrue for the majority of people who live there. "You're from Los Angeles? You must be a struggling entertainer, or a surfer. You're from Minnesota? You must be a Lutheran. You're from Kenya? You must be a track star. You're from Australia? You must be a Wallaby rancher throwing shrimps on the barbie with one hand and protecting your baby from the dingos with the other."

Sorry KC, you're not unique. Everybody has the same problem.
We do love our stereotypes Never thought about Vancouver... must be confusing if you're in Seattle and tell someone you're going to Vancouver. Which direction are you going??

Old 06-05-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We do love our stereotypes Never thought about Vancouver... must be confusing if you're in Seattle and tell someone you're going to Vancouver. Which direction are you going??
We have a similar issue when we visit family in St. Louis, and we meet someone new and they ask where we're from.

"Springfield" we're tempted to say, since most people in Missouri would assume you're referring to the one in their own state. However, in St. Louis they reply...

"Missouri or Illinois?" It's a fair question, since St. Louis is about halfway between the two.

For those traveling from Seattle to Vancouver Washington, they probably just say they're going to Portland, much like you would if you were traveling to a suburb of any major city. (Although to be fair, Vancouver is a small city in its own right, with its own identity and rich history. Not to the extent of St. Paul or Fort Worth, but perhaps like Oakland, Tacoma or Independence, MO. As opposed to the motto "Keep Portland Weird" you tend to see "Keep Vancouver Normal".)

Old 06-05-2015, 11:52 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,804,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Kansas City Star columnists Lewis W. Diuguid's post about how Kansas City, MISSOURI gets no love globally. It's a little old, but I just read it for the first time.
Is why KC is often considered a 'best kept secret' - relatively few know much about KC.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
Is why KC is often considered a 'best kept secret' - relatively few know much about KC.
It's true. But I don't think it has anything to do with the name, or with the Kansas associations. I think it's just because KC is smack in the middle of the country. And no matter what Missouri-boosters (including myself) might say to distance ourselves from the Great Plains, KC's has a cow-town legacy and a huge footprint in agribusiness.

So we can't really blame people for making the association between Kansas City and America's "heartland". It just means we need to focus on promoting the more cultural and cosmopolitan features of the city that make it a place that really has something for everybody.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 PM

My link didn't work. My son has this shirt and wears it all the time out here

Old 06-05-2015, 06:31 PM

684 posts, read 790,728 times
Nice shirt. Nice son. Nice house.

Hmm. You said visitors would guess your pictures. I'd say west coast for sure, perhaps, San Francisco? The one in the staircase.

If I'm wrong, don't tell me. Clue me in if you will.

Last edited by Truly Missouri; 06-05-2015 at 07:16 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Nice shirt. Nice son. Nice house.

Hmm. You said visitors would guess your pictures. I'd say west coast for sure, perhaps, San Francisco? The one in the staircase.

If I'm wrong, don't tell me. Clue me in if you will.
There are two in the lower staircase. Both are of cities in Maryland

Our whole house is a gallery of urban cityscapes even though there is one room that is a dedicated gallery. several of the photos I use on my website are from my house.

Such as:

I'll have to post some pics of all the skyline photos in my home someday

Old 06-06-2015, 01:18 AM

684 posts, read 790,728 times
Baltimore seems to be too obvious with a clue of Maryland. I'm saying Annapolis. That other one looks like Charlotte, except for the stadium seating is red instead of blue. And then there's New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City