Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:37 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
Paid medical testing and clinical trials?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
I think the minimum wage should be at least $15. I also think that people should be driven to do something that adds to the development and improvement of society. Before the former can be realized, the latter must become a common cultural value.
The US medical industry is already the most corrupt industry in the history of man. And now you want to use minimum wage as a social engineering tool to further prop them up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:44 AM

191 posts, read 167,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The US medical industry is already the most corrupt industry in the history of man. And now you want to use minimum wage as a social engineering tool to further prop them up?
The comment about medical testing wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I guess I should have added

Old 07-28-2015, 12:20 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Hate to say it, but I almost agreed with Crown Vic on something just now - the corruption of the US medical industry.

UNFORTUNATELY, he both completely missed the point of the comment he was responding to, and the basic facts surrounding this conversation. NOBODY doing medical trials is getting paid less than $15/hr. IF you can get this kind of "work" consistently, you're raking it in.

So I think we can leave this little corner of our economy out of the discussion at hand. It has nothing to do with the minimum wage, and will be unaffected by any change thereof.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:06 PM

105 posts, read 106,326 times
And small food businesses would have to cope with this as well.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
And small food businesses would have to cope with this as well.
Only if they have more than 15 employees, per the ordinance. So it would depend on how small.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:58 PM

24 posts, read 30,978 times
I'm not knowledgeable in the real inner-workings of economics, but when I see the city of KCMO raising the minimum wage considerably higher than the rest of the metro it seems like another excuse for restaurants, grocery stores, small startup businesses, etc., to start their businesses in the suburbs instead of in the urban core that the city has been working so desperately to build back up. It seems counterproductive to me.

Is this not the way things will happen if the increase in minimum wage does make it through the courts?

Old 07-29-2015, 06:03 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,720 times
It's hard to say. I believe a rising tide lifts all ships, so to speak, and if the major city at the center of the metro area raises the wage floor, all of the surrounding suburbs with a similar cost of living will be foolish not to do the same, otherwise nobody will want to work in the suburbs; businesses need employees as much as employees need businesses.

KC politicians are just trying to move the region in a more progressive direction. I think that will actually attract smart people, cutting edge entrepreneurs and top talent. I'm not sure if $15 is an appropriate minimum wage for KC, but if nothing else they have made a smart PR move to try to increase the current floor of $7.65.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
With google fiber and new smart city light rail, I could see KC trying to move in the direction of becoming a tech city, and people in tech make more than minimum wage so it won't affect those type of companies as much...

but it does suck for the people who do make minimum wage as they get forced out to suburbs to live since the COL will increase, they will work in the city for the better pay but end up with a longer commute...

Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
It's hard to say. I believe a rising tide lifts all ships, so to speak, and if the major city at the center of the metro area raises the wage floor, all of the surrounding suburbs with a similar cost of living will be foolish not to do the same, otherwise nobody will want to work in the suburbs; businesses need employees as much as employees need businesses.

KC politicians are just trying to move the region in a more progressive direction. I think that will actually attract smart people, cutting edge entrepreneurs and top talent. I'm not sure if $15 is an appropriate minimum wage for KC, but if nothing else they have made a smart PR move to try to increase the current floor of $7.65.
I'm with you in spirit, zach, but the demand has to be there to support it. So, yeah, it's hard to say.

Thirty four years ago, the Reagan administration gave a wink and a nod to Big Business' abandonment of ethical principle in their relationship with the workers who made them rich and powerful. It was during those years that our economic direction as a nation profoundly changed....downwardly. It was plain to see then what would happen upon exporting our manufacturing and importing third world labor, despite all the BS that then lauded the "new American economy". Our march to third world status began in earnest during those Reagan years.

Had Big Business not abandoned Americans and the country at their foundation, I would likely cast this idea aside very quickly. But they did. So a clear case can be made to attempt to compensate legislatively for the damage done by myopic greed.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if $15 is an appropriate minimum wage for KC, but if nothing else they have made a smart PR move to try to increase the current floor of $7.65.
It's not 15, anyway, It's 13, incrementally over the next five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City