U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:04 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,607,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Springfield has more to offer than Wichita.
I'd take Wichita over Springfeild any day of the week. And for that matter, Topeka over Jeff City and Lawrence over Columbia. StL, KC and the Ozarks are what MO has that KS doesn't, which are no small factor, admittedly, which is why I live in Missouri now. That and sprinkle of moderate and Democratic political influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:09 PM

671 posts, read 467,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you.

Thank you.

Each and every challenge to the misinformation that has, for many years, polluted the KC forum is to be treasured.
Mod cut

As trolling as ever, I'm sure that you are very much welcomed CrownVic.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 11-25-2015 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-25-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Blue Springs is blue collar, not hick. It's just a working class suburb. There are a lot of well off people in Blue Springs, they just drive Ford F250s. There are also plenty of white collar people there too though, but Johnson County is the most white collar suburban area of KC. Most suburban white collar jobs are located there and most blue collar jobs are in WyCo, the industrial river bottoms, Clay County etc. Well, most of JoCo is white collar anyway. Olathe, which is 1/4 of the county is pretty much just like Blue Springs. Lee's Summit is sort of blue collar, but not as much as Blue Springs and Independence. Lee's Summit people have a long commute whether it's to downtown, joco or a factory somewhere. Lee's Summit is similar to Shawnee or Lenexa. Clay County is also more blue collar, as lots of people there work at places like the Ford plant or are KCMO firefighters etc. Platte County is definitely more white collar. Independence has some VERY poor areas but also some affluent areas, but it's mostly just working class. Seems like Olathe and Liberty are the two more traditional conservative/religious suburbs while Leawood is the mega church capital of the metro. Raytown and Grandview are diverse yet still middle class.

Rural Missouri and Rural Kansas are the same north of the ozarks. Just agricultural and working class I guess you can call it redneck. Southern Missouri is full blown redneck and parts of southern Missouri like south of Branson are true hillbilly. Some of the smaller towns in rural Kansas have some very serious crime and drug problems though, but rural Kansas as a whole is more agricultural, while rural Missouri is more true redneck.

Not much difference between Lawrence and Columbia other than one is dominated by St Louis County culture and the other is dominated by Johnson County Kansas culture. Both of which have more in common than not culturally. (affluent suburban parents and often snotty kids). Lawrence and Columbia are both liberal towns in conservative states, which is typical for college towns to be liberal regardless of location.

Urban KCMO and StL are not in the slightest bit hick, redneck or country. Although far south and southeast KCMO has some ozark type areas near Raytown. KCK is totally different story. It's a mix of urban hicks, black rednecks, white trash, ozarks and working class minorities and even some middle class blacks and whites. To this day, KCK is one of the oddest places I have visited, especially for a city in the heart of a major metro.

And while parts of Missouri may be somewhat "southern". Metro KC and StL are not at all unless compared to Minneapolis or something
Pretty spot on, except for your WyCo assessment. I would ever use the word 'trash" to describe humans based exclusively on their class and skin color, and of course, you leave some pretty significant factors in WyCo culture (immigrant, hispanics, eastern European ethnics), plus I don't think "ozarks" is the right word for the parts of KCK you are describing, but I can certainly see the similarities. There's also a fairly sizeable and by midwestern standards fairly densely populated urban core of of about 75-80K people in KCK, with 7-8K ppsm living in dense "single family" homes which has very little to distinguish it from east and central KC, which is in fact, contiguous with KC's urban core.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
St Louis has nicer suburbs than anything in the KC area. The inner ring suburbs of StL County blow away anything in Johnson County outside of super tiny mission hills. It's more affluent, more walkable and just has a more classy old suburban feel. The outer ring suburbs of west and south StL County are just nicer than most of suburban KC.
While I think the certain inner ring suburbs of StL are not only nicer than anything in JoCo, I think you are overestimating how much of StL County they represent, and I for one don't find Creve Coeur or Ballwin or Chesterfield to be any more compelling or nicer than JoCo, and certainly not the most charming parts of Johnson County, to say nothing of North County, which is a dump even in its nicest parts that has no equal in JoCo.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:31 PM

11,503 posts, read 12,439,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
St Louis doesn't feel at all that way to me.
Oh, I don't think St. Louis feels hickish at all. It's just never appealed to me and I can't really say why. I don't really have anything against St. Louis, although Ferguson didn't help my opinion of it. But even before that I just didn't really ever care for St. Louis.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:02 PM

3,715 posts, read 1,470,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Oh, I don't think St. Louis feels hickish at all. It's just never appealed to me and I can't really say why. I don't really have anything against St. Louis, although Ferguson didn't help my opinion of it. But even before that I just didn't really ever care for St. Louis.
It's really weird. Even though STL and KC are in the same state and only a few hours apart, they feel completely different.

STL feels more progressive and more liberal. While KC feels slower paced and more conservative.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:21 AM

9,976 posts, read 15,854,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Pretty spot on, except for your WyCo assessment. I would ever use the word 'trash" to describe humans based exclusively on their class and skin color, and of course, you leave some pretty significant factors in WyCo culture (immigrant, hispanics, eastern European ethnics), plus I don't think "ozarks" is the right word for the parts of KCK you are describing, but I can certainly see the similarities. There's also a fairly sizeable and by midwestern standards fairly densely populated urban core of of about 75-80K people in KCK, with 7-8K ppsm living in dense "single family" homes which has very little to distinguish it from east and central KC, which is in fact, contiguous with KC's urban core.
I was using "trash" more in reference to the way they live. Trash all over the front yard etc. But I get what you are saying.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'd take Wichita over Springfeild any day of the week. And for that matter, Topeka over Jeff City and Lawrence over Columbia. StL, KC and the Ozarks are what MO has that KS doesn't, which are no small factor, admittedly, which is why I live in Missouri now. That and sprinkle of moderate and Democratic political influence.
First off, I would not choose to live in any of these places and it's always going to be a personal preference thing anyway. But here is why I would choose MO over KS for these smaller cities.

Springfield vs Wichita: I have defended Wichita many times on these forums, but prefer the scenery and available outdoor recreation of Springfield. Springfield is also a little nicer and seems to have a bit more college influence keeping it a little more active with Drury and Missouri State closer to the city core than Wichita State. Even though it's southern Missouri, Springfield has a lot of influence from KC and StL people living and going to school there.

No way would I choose Topeka over Jeff City. The ONLY thing Topeka has going for it is that it's an hour from metro KC. Topeka is a total dump. Jeff City is just small, but has many nice areas and is basically part of the Columbia region. Again much more to do recreation wise (katy trail alone trumps Topeka) and you have the ozarks, KC and StL to choose from for quick road trips.

Lawrence vs Columbia. I like both actually, but would go with Columbia only because I don't care for KU one (not really a Mizzou fan either). Being from the city, I just don't get into college culture much. It was fun when I was 19, but not interested now. Columbia has just as much influence from KC and StL as it does from the locals. You almost see more Cards gear in Columbia than Mizzou gear for example. I'm not following what's going there now real closely (racial crap), so I'm not factoring that in right now. Outside of KU culture, I really like Lawrence. It's actually BY FAR the best place in the state of Kansas. Nice topography, nice nightlife, vibrant downtown, very close to a major metro. So I still say tie with a bias edge going to Columbia.

Kansas has no answer to Kansas City, MO or St Louis and has nothing remotely close their cultural amenities, infrastructure or lifestyle options.

Kansas has no answer to the Ozarks tourism and recreational areas. The only somewhat pretty area of KS (flint hills) has almost zero public access or amenities, but it's at least something decent to drive through.

Kansas has no answer to the tourism mecca of Branson (and I hate Branson).

Old 11-26-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
It's really weird. Even though STL and KC are in the same state and only a few hours apart, they feel completely different.

STL feels more progressive and more liberal. While KC feels slower paced and more conservative.
StL just feels more like a bigger city and certainly bigger metropolitan area, which is more my style. I think both cities are equally progressive though. KCMO (not really metro, metro KC is very conservative) actually might be a bit more progressive than StL City.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
While I think the certain inner ring suburbs of StL are not only nicer than anything in JoCo, I think you are overestimating how much of StL County they represent, and I for one don't find Creve Coeur or Ballwin or Chesterfield to be any more compelling or nicer than JoCo, and certainly not the most charming parts of Johnson County, to say nothing of North County, which is a dump even in its nicest parts that has no equal in JoCo.
Not really. St Louis County is twice the size of JoCo and it has a crap ton of nice areas in central, west and south county, far more than JoCo.

The residential areas of Chesterfield are much nicer than Overland Park's similar areas. OP is flat, wide open, lots of grass, not trees. I personally much prefer Chesterfield.

And just because JoCo doesn't have a north county type area doesn't mean StL County isn't nicer.They have WyCo just to their north, what's the difference? People that live in Oakville are over an hour away from the rougher areas of North County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City