Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,365 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We'll be moving to KC area next year - I'll be working in Leavenworth, but the private school my wife has picked for the kids is basically in Overland Park.

We also would prefer the southern side because her Mom lives outside of Osawatomie (to the south).

Looking for:
Wife and 2 boys
Safe/nice neighborhood
We're not rich, but probably upper middle-class?

Thank you for any insight!

Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,268,292 times
What school?

Old 06-26-2015, 02:38 PM

Whitefield Academy

Old 06-26-2015, 04:17 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,668,067 times
Never heard of that one.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:30 PM

Okay, that's a Christian school in south KC that's nowhere near Overland Park. It's south of the Waldo neighborhood, near the Santa Fe Hills subdivision. I used to live near it.

Anywhere in the Waldo neighborhood would be fine, Brookside, too, from a safety standpoint. Brookside will cost more.

Most people will steer you to the suburbs, but if you're already going the private school route, it's not really necessary unless you just prefer suburbia. Leavenworth is going to about an hour drive no matter what from that general area, and that's assuming clear weather, moving traffic.

If the school provides bus pickup (not all church schools do), you could conceivably live further north or east and be a bit closer to Leavenworth.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,704,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Okay, that's a Christian school in south KC that's nowhere near Overland Park. It's south of the Waldo neighborhood, near the Santa Fe Hills subdivision. I used to live near it.

Anywhere in the Waldo neighborhood would be fine, Brookside, too, from a safety standpoint. Brookside will cost more.

Most people will steer you to the suburbs, but if you're already going the private school route, it's not really necessary unless you just prefer suburbia. Leavenworth is going to about an hour drive no matter what from that general area, and that's assuming clear weather, moving traffic.

If the school provides bus pickup (not all church schools do), you could conceivably live further north or east and be a bit closer to Leavenworth.
LOL, even in KC you are not doing SKC to Leavenworth in 30 minutes. Why would you move to KC and set yourself up for a commute that would approach or exceed an hour??

I don't know the first thing about church schools, but a quick google search finds this:
Northland Christian School | Welcome to Northland Christian School Online! A location in Platte County would be so much closer to Leavenworth and it's just as nice as Overland Park. It looks like they are building a new complex, so it could be a fun time to be a part of that school. Or maybe something in the Shawnee area or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=66&v=beIf5XmsY6U

I don't know, sounds like you will be doing a lot of driving between SKC, Leavenworth (trying to live in Overland Park), must be a really good school.

Now I would do that just so I COULD live in Brookside (well, not a church school, but a private school to avoid the public schools). That's a different story. Brookside offers a lifestyle choice that is not really offered anywhere else in metro KC and if I was working in Leavenworth, I would not live there either and private school plus Brookside makes sense to live where you want to live. Sounds like you want to live in OP. So I guess maybe you are thinking the same thing about a different area (I can't comprehend having to live in a specific suburb and drive by 40 miles of other burbs to get there, they are all pretty much the same).

Last edited by kcmo; 06-26-2015 at 05:13 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 05:17 PM

ohhh - I'm not set on ANY neighborhood/town. I don't know KC AT ALL. I realize Leavenworth is a ways away - so that's why I'm asking the experts

Where would you choose that's maybe Overland Park or west so I could split the distance a little?

Old 06-26-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjanssen View Post
ohhh - I'm not set on ANY neighborhood/town. I don't know KC AT ALL. I realize Leavenworth is a ways away - so that's why I'm asking the experts

Where would you choose that's maybe Overland Park or west so I could split the distance a little?
Well, that is my personal opinion. If working in Leavenworth, I would try to live in Platte County, MO (or even Clay County) right across the river. There are so many nice areas up there that would be within 30 minutes of Leavenworth. Southern Platte County is very nice and it's also upper middle to upper class. Tiffany Springs and areas along Line Creek would also keep you close to LV County bu in very nice areas. Clay County would be further but still closer and with less traffic than going to SKC or JoCo. But I don't know if you can find a private school that you like up there. I would think there would be something similar though to the one you found in SKC though.

My second personal opinion is that if you are going to go with private school and a school that far away, then you have a great opportunity to live in one of the best neighborhoods in metro KC and that is Brookside. The only downside to that area is the public schools are not great, but if you want a very good location that is close to everything in KC with walkable neighborhoods, charming homes and mature tree lined streets close to the cultural heart of KC, but in a suburban environment, than Brookside is awesome, if you have a plan to deal with the schools and you do.

You may really just want that school and nothing up north will worth and also want a more traditional suburban area like what most of Johnson County (or the Northland) is. In that case, you can look just about anywhere along I-435 between Holmes and Leavenworth + Northland. So pretty much the entire southwestern part and northern portions of the metro.

If you split the difference, western Shawnee would be good. But I personally would recommend being close to either your job or that school. So if you can't find anything in the Northland to put you close to your job, then I would live in Leawood, but only if I were you. If I were me, I would live in Brookside first, southern Platte County second.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
LOL, even in KC you are not doing SKC to Leavenworth in 30 minutes.
Wait, what? I didn't say anything about 30 minutes. I posted that it's an hour to Leavenworth from SKC, easy. Pretty solid on that, we travel to Leavenworth often for my spouse's military obligations, and for commissary/PX/VA access.

I missed that the OP wanted to be a half-hour from Leavenworth, I guess. I was basing my information on the OP's statement that they'd chosen a school. *shrugs*

I also mentioned Brookside as a living option in my post. But I guess that's a more a valid suggestion when it comes from you.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Wait, what? I didn't say anything about 30 minutes. I posted that it's an hour to Leavenworth from SKC, easy. Pretty solid on that, we travel to Leavenworth often for my spouse's military obligations, and for commissary/PX/VA access.

I missed that the OP wanted to be a half-hour from Leavenworth, I guess. I was basing my information on the OP's statement that they'd chosen a school. *shrugs*

I also mentioned Brookside as a living option in my post. But I guess that's a more a valid suggestion when it comes from you.
Oops, if I hit a nerve, it wasn't intentional. I probably just misread and thought you had said a half hour, I see now that you said an hour, so my mistake there. And I wasn't trying to contradict your point of view at all, I actually agree with your post. My post was kind of all over the place as I was trying to point out some different options and pretty much said the same thing you did about Brookside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: