Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 11:28 AM

348 posts, read 411,593 times

Advertisements

Kansas City, MO has some beautiful older brick and stone houses, but you have to look in the right neighbourhoods. Personally a fan of the "Tudor" homes in Waldo / Brookside, and also like the look of the stone shirtwaist houses like you find in West Plaza (but the houses and lot sizes are a little cramped for the price over there).

In Texas, I have found a lot of houses that are brick / cinderblock in new cheap small construction...but the "big builders" are also leaning towards the McMansion style with stucco, stone facade. The JoCo link you sent is no different from the new build stuff they are putting up in the Austin area (see: KB Home, David Weekly homes, etc).

-T.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
Kansas City, MO has some beautiful older brick and stone houses, but you have to look in the right neighbourhoods. Personally a fan of the "Tudor" homes in Waldo / Brookside, and also like the look of the stone shirtwaist houses like you find in West Plaza (but the houses and lot sizes are a little cramped for the price over there).

In Texas, I have found a lot of houses that are brick / cinderblock in new cheap small construction...but the "big builders" are also leaning towards the McMansion style with stucco, stone facade. The JoCo link you sent is no different from the new build stuff they are putting up in the Austin area (see: KB Home, David Weekly homes, etc).

-T.
It is still about as out of place as a pine sided northwoods log cabin in KC.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:13 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,104,380 times
I never thought about it, but KC seems to have stopped building with brick many decades ago. Probably just a local trend? Denver built thousands of ranch homes in the 50s and 60s, all brick. They do hold up better over time and probably look better since they don't require paint. Denver still uses brick a fair amount in new construction.

The thing about suburban KC homes that I can't stand is the horrible siding they put on the sides and back. It used to be the "batten board" (if that's how you spell it) that paint just peeled off of. Now it's some sort of cheap looking paneling. I've never noticed so much horrible siding used in another city.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,284,073 times
The rampant use of T1-11 siding in the more newly developed suburban areas stood out to me, as well, when I first moved here. I was raised by professional builders, and have a real knee-jerk response to that.

I get that bricks as a primary building material are not going to be seen in most budget new construction (although you will see it more in the more affluent suburban zip codes), unless it's a partial facade at most. But when you're looking at suburban sprawl that's designed to go up inexpensively and quickly, you're gonna get cheap construction. I don't think this is specific to KC suburbs, either. Rapid middle class suburban expansion, in general, is like this.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:28 AM

4,498 posts, read 4,999,510 times
It's so the wolf can huff n puff and blow down the ones that aren't made of brick, have you got something against wolves ? They have rights too you know !

Old 07-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The rampant use of T1-11 siding in the more newly developed suburban areas stood out to me, as well, when I first moved here. I was raised by professional builders, and have a real knee-jerk response to that.

I get that bricks as a primary building material are not going to be seen in most budget new construction (although you will see it more in the more affluent suburban zip codes), unless it's a partial facade at most. But when you're looking at suburban sprawl that's designed to go up inexpensively and quickly, you're gonna get cheap construction. I don't think this is specific to KC suburbs, either. Rapid middle class suburban expansion, in general, is like this.
Yeah, that's the horrible siding I see all over newer JoCo areas. I've even seen it warping off what looks like houses under 10 years old.

I've never seen new houses in the Denver 'burbs (or anywhere in California) built with T1-11 siding. The standard here is either Hardie Board, Brick/Stone or stucco. I have both brick and Hardie Board on my house and like it. After 10 years, I had it painted because the west side was a little faded, but never had any peeling anywhere on the house. I didn't notice any Hardie Board in KC last time I was there.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:59 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,136,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've never seen new houses in the Denver 'burbs (or anywhere in California) built with T1-11 siding.

There are hundred of thousands of houses in suburban Denver made with T1-11.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,284,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Yeah, that's the horrible siding I see all over newer JoCo areas. I've even seen it warping off what looks like houses under 10 years old.
It warps practically instantly. So cheap.

Honestly, when you look at new development in suburban KC on either side (I used to see it all over Lee's Summit's newer subdivisions, too, and when we go hang out with friends up around Tiffany Springs), there are some really ****ty builders getting work.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
There are hundred of thousands of houses in suburban Denver made with T1-11.
Very strange that I haven't seen one. No, it's not something builders use here. Hardie board and stucco are the standard.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:21 PM

82 posts, read 173,414 times
Nothing says cheap like T-11 siding. It is all over the area, the MO side suburbs as well as the KS side. No other city I visit has such an abundance of tacky looking new construction.

As far as I know, none of the national homebuilders (Pulte, D R Horton, Toll Brothers, and the like) have entered the KC market. If one of them came in, maybe the local builders would up their game. Brick probably isn't coming back -- not many skilled bricklayers in the labor force now -- but Hardie Board is a practical, good quality product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City