Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But in the end, King said Wednesday, the desire to find the best incentive deal was trumped by Barkley's top priority: building the right culture for a world-class creative company.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...extension.html

Barkley should be applauded. KC needs more companies like them. This small company of less than 300 employees has and will continue to do more to make KC an attractive and vibrant city for young people and transplants than much larger companies that jump from one office park to the next in the burbs. It's companies like Barkley that will help KC compete once again with other major cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:23 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Barkley should be applauded. KC needs more companies like them. This small company of less than 300 employees has and will continue to do more to make KC an attractive and vibrant city for young people and transplants than much larger companies that jump from one office park to the next in the burbs. It's companies like Barkley that will help KC compete once again with other major cities.
So people like this still exist, eh? I'll be damned.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Sounds like PR-spin to me. Barkley says its "culture" but nonetheless shopped both sides for incentives, and wound up in the same spot. Either KC gave the best deal or the deals were so close it wasn't wroth moving.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:16 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Sounds like PR-spin to me. Barkley says its "culture" but nonetheless shopped both sides for incentives, and wound up in the same spot. Either KC gave the best deal or the deals were so close it wasn't wroth moving.
These incentives can't be secret, can they? If they got an incentive from Missouri, wouldn't we know it?

Old 09-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
These incentives can't be secret, can they? If they got an incentive from Missouri, wouldn't we know it?

Now that I don't know, but it did state King shopped both states.

For the record, I'm glad it's KCMO. I remember the TWA Building from way back and it thrills me that old classic buildings are being fitted for new tenants. Don't we all just wish that had started years, if not decades ago?

BTW off topic, but I was recently able to find info on an old DT building that housed a chili parlor decades ago. The lobby of this place was a trainwreck, trashed out, dirty, etc. Was very glad to see it too is still standing. Anyone have info re status of Scarritt Building at 817 Walnut? (The chili place, best known to us for its tamales, was T J's)

Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,510 times
Quote:
Anyone have info re status of Scarritt Building at 817 Walnut? (The chili place, best known to us for its tamales, was T J's)
This plan for conversion to "Artist Housing" was announce almost 2 years ago, but I'm not sure what the current status is and if any work has begun:

Historic Scarritt Building in downtown KC slated for artist housing | The Kansas City Star

Old 09-04-2015, 10:54 AM

131 posts, read 185,011 times
Honestly, coming from someone in that field, It would have been a horrible move for them to move from that locations. Not only is it in the crossroads, their entire identity is built around being creative and being in that TWA building. They'd have to completely rebrand and change their image, which just plan isn't worth it, for a move a few miles to a boring corporate development park. That's before getting to, as they mentioned. The culture and atmosphere of the crossroads.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 AM

404 posts, read 457,041 times
Great company. Here's to wishing them much success!

Old 09-04-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
This plan for conversion to "Artist Housing" was announce almost 2 years ago, but I'm not sure what the current status is and if any work has begun:

Historic Scarritt Building in downtown KC slated for artist housing | The Kansas City Star

Thanks for that. Glancing at Scarritt Properties website, it looks like office and retail space is available but didn't see anything for residential. Maybe the pricing as indicated in your article wasn't doable. The project should have been completed (or near) by now yet I didn't see anything residential, maybe looking in wrong place. Hopefully were able to pull it off.

BTW, what section of town is deemed the "Crossroads"?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:34 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Thanks for that. Glancing at Scarritt Properties website, it looks like office and retail space is available but didn't see anything for residential. Maybe the pricing as indicated in your article wasn't doable. The project should have been completed (or near) by now yet I didn't see anything residential, maybe looking in wrong place. Hopefully were able to pull it off.

BTW, what section of town is deemed the "Crossroads"?
From I-670 to the Railroad trench, between Broadway and 71 Highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
View detailed profiles of: