Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,782 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am pursuing a career with Garmin and am nearing my goal. I am originally from K.C. but have been bouncing around the country working in the aviation industry for over a decade trying to find my dream job and I think I have found it!

I am new to the forum and am posting this to connect with people who are currently working for Garmin and get some advice on the best location for myself and my family to live in Johnson County and maybe some insight into a typical day on the job.

When I lived in K.C. I lived in the Northland and never got too familiar with neighborhoods in and around Olathe and Overland Park. Now that I have a family I am looking for 1) Good schools 2) Nice neighborhoods for a $225K home budget 3) Areas that will provide a tolerable commute.

Thanks in advance! And GO ROYALS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 PM

518 posts, read 760,877 times
I think Garmin is in south Overland Park. Homes/neighborhood is nice but there is more commute/drive and also prices willl be bit higher. 225k should find a decent home...not a super nice/big one but decent I would say. You do need to look around though. Schools in OP area are usually good: Shawnee Mission, Blue Valley are the two that come to mind.

Good luck and welcome back to KC!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,782 times
Thanks!

Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,173,567 times
Garmin is in Olathe, but close to Overland Park too. Olathe School District for Olathe and Blue Valley for southern Overland Park. House prices will likely be less in Olathe than in south Overland Park. Gardner isn't far away and you could definitely find something in your price range there. But it's a whole different vibe than Olathe and Overland Park, more rural and small townish. Olathe and Blue Valley school districts are fine (of the two, Blue Valley is better). I don't know anything about Gardner schools.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:52 PM

347 posts, read 424,747 times
Garmin's headquarters are at 151st and Ridgeview in Olathe.

There is several large subdivsions that start around 159th street and go south to about 175th (between Ridgeview and Murlen) that would have a lot of great homes in your price range (some will be higher, but most range from 200-250K). So there are a lot of choices available very close to Garmin's headquarters. There is housing school north of 151st to around 143rd that is slightly older, but still nice. Once you start getting south of 143rd the housing stock turns into much older homes and duplexes.

A more rural option would be Spring Hill. It's got some lovely homes around your price point, and it would be close to where you work. Overland Park also has some great options as well, but most of Overland Park is more expensive than Olathe, and it's definitely much more expensive than Spring Hill and Gardner.

Gardner for me is hit or miss. I think Spring Hill is a much nicer area but it is pretty rural, and most amenities are in Olathe, so it's a bit of a drive. Both Gardner and Spring Hill schools are pretty good (they are rated 8 & 9 on the great schools ratings). Olathe schools in general are very good. Not quite as good as Blue Valley though. But, a lot of Overland Park will also district into Shawnee Mission schools. Shawnee Mission is like Olathe. Overall good schools, some much better than others, very few better than Blue Valley schools.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:40 PM

20 posts, read 41,532 times
Garmin is in south Olathe. Actually, the headquarters are oddly planted right in the middle of an area of mostly suburban houses. I'd look right in that area, around 159th. You would easily find a nice home in your price range, in the Olathe school district, within 10 minutes of Garmin. It would also be close to shopping, and the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City