Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,024 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am moving to KC in January for a job. I am going to be working in Olathe, but ideally I would live on the Plaza. I am 22, so I want to be in an urban area, but the drive with traffic to Olathe from the plaza would be about 45 minutes. Do you guys think the drive is worth it, or have any suggestions on other urban areas that is close to both Olathe and the Plaza?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 12:56 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,044,643 times
You could probably shave a few minutes off the commute by living in the Brookside or Waldo neighborhoods, which are south of the Plaza. Brookside's accepted center is 63rd and Brookside. Waldo is about 75th and Wornall. Both have their own little bar/shopping districts. Both would be close to the Plaza.

Alternately, you could live in downtown Kansas City, Missouri and drive I-35 all the way to Olathe.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:06 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Just move to the Plaza and commute. Worth it.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
I'm almost tempted to just get one of those "cheaper" <$100k condos on the plaza myself... if only it wasn't for the condo fee >.> and if I could rent it out when I'm not there...

I though JOCO was pretty urban too, around the mall/metcalf/convention area. I mean to me, the plaza is for outdoor shopping, and westport for bars... If he didn't care much about shopping or bars, would downtown make a difference?

Old 10-23-2015, 04:23 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
I'm almost tempted to just get one of those "cheaper" <$100k condos on the plaza myself... if only it wasn't for the condo fee >.> and if I could rent it out when I'm not there...

I though JOCO was pretty urban too, around the mall/metcalf/convention area. I mean to me, the plaza is for outdoor shopping, and westport for bars... If he didn't care much about shopping or bars, would downtown make a difference?
If you think any part of JoCO is "urban", you have lived in KC way too long.

To the OP. Just find a place you like and commute. The commute from Downtown or Plaza to Olathe would be about the same. Downtown is a bit further, but has better freeway access so the travel time is about the same and it's only about 20 miles. No way does that commute take 45 minutes. It doesn't even take that long going with the traffic "from" Olathe to the city. As a younger person that wants to be a more vibrant area, I would not live in any other part of metro KC other than the central urban corridor from the Plaza to Downtown. Even Waldo is pretty quiet and suburban. It's more of a place to get a cheap starter single family home. I bought my first home in Waldo and while it's okay, it's not really a thriving and gentrifying neighborhood that you would find in most large cities now. It's just okay.

Live in the plaza, midtown, westport, crossroads, downtown, river market areas and you will enjoy your stay in KC ten fold.

Last edited by kcmo; 10-23-2015 at 04:32 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 05:30 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
I guess I define urban being where I can have hiking trails while in the city? While Kathy trail is rural, because you hear hunters firing near the trail and have to duck down or get hit by shotgun pellets from time to time (no idea why they are so careless about firing it so close to a trail they know people use...)

I kind of look past the bars... they don't make it "urban" for me.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:05 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Even Waldo is pretty quiet and suburban. It's more of a place to get a cheap starter single family home. I bought my first home in Waldo and while it's okay, it's not really a thriving and gentrifying neighborhood that you would find in most large cities now. It's just okay.

Live in the plaza, midtown, westport, crossroads, downtown, river market areas and you will enjoy your stay in KC ten fold.
And after Waldo, you moved to Blue Springs - another suburb. Is all this "vibrant" urban promotion about what where you WISH you could live if you were single and childless?

Have you checked those home prices in Waldo lately? Some of those houses east of Ward Parkway, west of Wornall and north of 75th are kind of pricey for what they are.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:44 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Lawrence.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:21 PM

290 posts, read 346,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Lawrence.
It's nice, but dominated by the undergrad population. With the posters age, that's fine and all yet I'm sure he or she would like to be around people that graduated college. As a grad student, I would rather be in KCMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City