Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I think this is one problem with kç. You should care how your city is viewed from elsewhere. KC,MO needs a marketing plan to get the word out that KC is not what people think it is. The Royals have certainly helped though. But who have they helped? Probably Kansas more than KC,Mo since most assume they are in Kansas. Plus the stadium is not in downtown KC and I don't recall seeing too many actual shots of the city on TV during playoffs and ws. KC should want the world to see downtown KC,Mo. They need to see that KC is an actual city lol.
In all honesty, I'm a born and bred Midwesterner, and absolutely love the Midwest. I've lived in other regions, traveled and studied in other regions and countries, my exposure is not limited by any means. But at the end of the day, I'm very much a Midwesterner by choice, no matter where I am.

It's from this perspective that, no, I truly DON'T care what people elsewhere think about my city, my town, my state, my region. In my experience of hailing from a part of the country that is quite commonly trashed by people who have absolutely no experience with it or knowledge of it to speak of, I just can't get too worked up about what people who don't truthfully know anything about where I'm from have to say about it. I can't take somebody seriously on their opinions about Kansas City when they don't even have enough knowledge or awareness of it to know what state it is in, or are so dismissive that they are of the opinion that it really doesn't matter, anyway. Those are people whose opinions, no, quite frankly, do NOT matter to me, and really, why should they? It's not a problem to not care what people who are hell-bent on being dismissive of where I'm from think of it. It's really not.

I have no deep need for people from elsewhere to give my city, region, whatever "its proper respect." Got nothing but negativity (baseless or not) to express about where I live? Whatever, you obviously don't have to choose to live here. No big loss, IMO. All the better for people who actually enjoy living here...who wants to live around constant naysayers? If I like living here, it really is not important to me at all to "market" it to people on either coast.

I tend to not form rigid opinions about places I've never been or spent significant time in. Maybe I'm a rarity in that regard, I never really thought about it. People who say "____sucks and I know, because I had a layover there, once; I drove through there one time back in college; God, kill me if I ever have to go back" just come off foolishly, to be honest.

As an aside, I guess you didn't get the same commercials we did during the playoffs. It was wall-to-wall Kansas City pride, loads of shots of landmarks, downtown, etc. Pretty much nothing BUT "actual shots of the city."

Old 12-03-2015, 01:59 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
In all honesty, I'm a born and bred Midwesterner, and absolutely love the Midwest. I've lived in other regions, traveled and studied in other regions and countries, my exposure is not limited by any means. But at the end of the day, I'm very much a Midwesterner by choice, no matter where I am.

It's from this perspective that, no, I truly DON'T care what people elsewhere think about my city, my town, my state, my region. In my experience of hailing from a part of the country that is quite commonly trashed by people who have absolutely no experience with it or knowledge of it to speak of, I just can't get too worked up about what people who don't truthfully know anything about where I'm from have to say about it. I can't take somebody seriously on their opinions about Kansas City when they don't even have enough knowledge or awareness of it to know what state it is in, or are so dismissive that they are of the opinion that it really doesn't matter, anyway. Those are people whose opinions, no, quite frankly, do NOT matter to me, and really, why should they? It's not a problem to not care what people who are hell-bent on being dismissive of where I'm from think of it. It's really not.

I have no deep need for people from elsewhere to give my city, region, whatever "its proper respect." Got nothing but negativity (baseless or not) to express about where I live? Whatever, you obviously don't have to choose to live here. No big loss, IMO. All the better for people who actually enjoy living here...who wants to live around constant naysayers? If I like living here, it really is not important to me at all to "market" it to people on either coast.

I tend to not form rigid opinions about places I've never been or spent significant time in. Maybe I'm a rarity in that regard, I never really thought about it. People who say "____sucks and I know, because I had a layover there, once; I drove through there one time back in college; God, kill me if I ever have to go back" just come off foolishly, to be honest.

As an aside, I guess you didn't get the same commercials we did during the playoffs. It was wall-to-wall Kansas City pride, loads of shots of landmarks, downtown, etc. Pretty much nothing BUT "actual shots of the city."
Agreed. Pretty much no one outside of Kansas City cares about or even thinks about Kansas City. And if they do have any perception of it at all, it is based on falsehoods or inaccurate information or stereotypes. I don't care what anyone who calls it "flyover country" thinks. And to them, Kansas = Missouri = Iowa = Nebraska = Oklahoma = Arkansas. There is no difference to them.

Off topic - I also don't care if people from other cities don't like our airport. I have said before that LAX is a dump and I don't see the people of LA worried that people in New York don't like their airport, or insisting that they have to build a new airport to please business travelers flying into LAX. I like MCI because it's convenient and easy for ME to fly in and out of.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:26 PM

684 posts, read 790,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Agreed. Pretty much no one outside of Kansas City cares about or even thinks about Kansas City. And if they do have any perception of it at all, it is based on falsehoods or inaccurate information or stereotypes. I don't care what anyone who calls it "flyover country" thinks. And to them, Kansas = Missouri = Iowa = Nebraska = Oklahoma = Arkansas. There is no difference to them.
I'd like to see you guys say these comments down at City Hall, and see how scorned you'd get. Or even better yet, on the evening news. It's easy to sit in a forum and insult the passion of people who are born and raised in a city in which you are not. Like people from New Jersey, trying to bash New Yorkers for wanting their city to been seen in a better national light. So are these people who clearly have a careless and/or bitter distaste for KCMO are doing in here. Since when, is having national or state or city pride ever been a bad thing? Go into the NYC forum, and try saying comments like this to oppose New Yorkers for their passionate pride for their city.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:13 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
I'd like to see you guys say these comments down at City Hall, and see how scorned you'd get. Or even better yet, on the evening news. It's easy to sit in a forum and insult the passion of people who are born and raised in a city in which you are not. Like people from New Jersey, trying to bash New Yorkers for wanting their city to been seen in a better national light. So are these people who clearly have a careless and/or bitter distaste for KCMO are doing in here. Since when, is having national or state or city pride ever been a bad thing? Go into the NYC forum, and try saying comments like this to oppose New Yorkers for their passionate pride for their city.
Nobody is telling you not to have pride in your city. Last time I looked, Johnson County was a part of Kansas City. So Kansas City is my city too. I was born and raised here. All I am saying is that NO ONE CARES about Kansas City who lives outside of Kansas City. And I don't care what they think of KC or if they don't think of it at all. Why would I? Why would you? Do you have an inferiority complex about KC and you have to be reassured by people outside the city that they think it's okay?

All I care about is that I like where I live. Why would it matter to me if people in LA or New York like it?

I also am not worried about being "scorned" by the people at city hall. WHO CARES if they like what I have to say or not? Certainly not me!

Why are you so worried about what everyone thinks?

Last edited by luzianne; 12-03-2015 at 03:21 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Nobody is telling you not to have pride in your city. Last time I looked, Johnson County was a part of Kansas City. So Kansas City is my city too. I was born and raised here. All I am saying is that NO ONE CARES about Kansas City who lives outside of Kansas City. And I don't care what they think of KC or if they don't think of it at all. Why would I? Why would you? Do you have an inferiority complex about KC and you have to be reassured by people outside the city that they think it's okay?

All I care about is that I like where I live. Why would it matter to me if people in LA or New York like it?

I also am not worried about being "scorned" by the people at city hall. WHO CARES if they like what I have to say or not? Certainly not me!

Why are you so worried about what everyone thinks?
Um. I don't exactly know how much money Kansas City or states like Kansas spend on tourism ads, promotions, etc., but certainly why should it matter to them, right? Because we should all just take this nonchalant and careless attitude that "who cares" what everyone else thinks.

Promoting one's city and region is big business for tourism and etc. And there's no argument contrary. So yes, I do care.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:01 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
I don't think they're saying they don't have pride in KC. They're saying that if people from elsewhere choose to be ignorant and write KC off as "flyover country" well then so be it. No point in going out of your way to be a chamber of commerce to people who don't get it or care to get it. I think KC is fantastic and don't give a rat's behind what ignorant pseudo-elitists from the coasts think. They have access to google, they can educate themselves if they wish. But constantly promoting a city sort of smacks of an inferiority complex which I don't think KC is about. In other words you can have pride in your city without being a salesperson for your city.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 PM

I mean, people who are ummm... let's say "intellectually deprived" enough to think Kansas City is in Kansas aren't even really worth the effort. I learned that KC was in Missouri in 3rd grade social studies. And I'm from nowhere near KC.

Last edited by Bluefox; 12-03-2015 at 08:39 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I mean, people who ummm... let's say "intellectually deprived" enough to think Kansas City is in Kansas aren't even really worth the effort. I learned that KC was in Missouri in 3rd grade social studies. And I'm from nowhere near KC.
Anyone who is intellectually deprived isn't worth the effort. Though again, perhaps, some people really do need help.

The problem is, is that so many people who aren't intellectually deprived are the ones who are constantly mistaking KCMO for Kansas. And they are everywhere.

Missourians will be passionate for Missouri, and you can't blame them for wanting to better geographically (and constantly) educate people. And they shouldn't just be written off, that they shouldn't care.

Last edited by Truly Missouri; 12-03-2015 at 08:53 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Anyone who is intellectually deprived isn't worth the effort. Though again, perhaps, some people really do need help.

The problem is, is that so many people who aren't intellectually deprived are the ones who are constantly mistaking KCMO for Kansas. And they are everywhere.

Missourians will be passionate for Missouri, and you can't blame them for wanting to better geographically (and constantly) educate people.
Again, I learned about the "big KC" being in Missouri in 3rd grade, in Miss Miller's social studies class, in Valparaiso, Indiana, at a school that was pretty good but not exceptionally outstanding. It was right out of our textbook, so it wasn't some capricious thing she was teaching us. So I guess part of me does judge people for not knowing it's in MO since to me, it's quite literally elementary school stuff.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
You make a good point about people that are actually born and raised in KCMO vs those that transplanted there or even those that have lived most of their lives in the suburbs. I don't expect TabulaRasa or even people that are originally from nearby Kansas that now live in KCMO to be nearly as passionate nor have the same type of civic pride that somebody like myself has that has generations of family that are very proud former and current residents of central KCMO. (although many transplants do have awesome KCMO passion and I know some of them). Still, It's just different when you grew up in South Plaza or Hyde Park and so did your parents and their parents etc. There is civic pride there that people from JoCo etc will never understand.

I don't have an inferiority complex about kc at all and most of the time if the topic comes up about where I am from, I just say Kansas City and end it there. However people ARE interested and they will ask about KC or reply with just "Kansas" and then I will explain the whole MO/KS thing. Most people seem genuinely interested in the basics of KC geography because most people kinda know it's in two states, but that's all they know. I would say 95% of the population outside of KC does not know that the urban core of the metro area and most of the metro population is based on the Missouri side. Nor do they know that the city is large, urban, forested, hilly and had a ton of things to do just like every other large city. They just associate the city with Kansas. Kansas = a place they have zero interest in every visiting and they wonder why anybody would ever live in such a boring place. That is the REAL image of Kansas and therefore Kansas City. It's far worse than Missouri which really has no image. Hollywood and Kansas politics have created this negative image of Kansas. While Missouri has no real image it's still better than the image of Kansas, but KC needs it's OWN identity, not MO or KS, but its own. It's name will forever keep that from happening though.

I have learned that if you are "from" the Missouri side, you don't like it when people assume KC is in Kansas or that you are from Kansas. If you are from the Kansas side, then you are really fine with people thinking it's in Kansas and don't really care for the most post although I have even heard Kansans correct people about where the central city is located. It really doesn't matter and because the entire world pretty much assumes KC is a city in Kansas, it's really a lost cause to even try. My kids have already given up on correcting people out here because you have to correct EVERYBODY. But it IS annoying if you are form KCMO and always being called a Kansan or always hearing your hometown's image dragged down by Kansas stereotypes. You get used to it and often blow it off, but the annoyance never really goes away.

Regardless, I don't get the "I don't care what people think". That is such a cop out. People in Denver care, people in Indianapolis care. You should care what your airport is like to others that use it. You should care if people have a terrible and wrong image of your city because they could someday be in a position to bring a convention to KC or expand a business in KC. Like anything, you have to market a place and luckily people like Mayor James do care what others think and will do what they can to improve the image of the city. Just because people think KC is in KS doesn't mean they are not worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City