Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 08:23 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,442,953 times

Advertisements

^Seriously, people?

Let me say it one last time. The airport is not freaking gonna move.

It doesn't need to. It can't. It won't. Move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM

132 posts, read 169,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

So lets just agree to disagree. However, I like your passion. What else do you think KC can do to get back on track? What are some "serious" ideas?
I don't know. It's exhausting debating it on the internet, let alone doing something in person. Nearly everything positive proposed is torpedo'd by the suburban luddites.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:25 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,442,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
I don't know. It's exhausting debating it on the internet, let alone doing something in person. Nearly everything positive proposed is torpedo'd by the suburban luddites.
If you are calling kcmo and I "suburban luddites", you need to read more and post less.

Please recall that I created this thread, and it's about a new terminal at KCI. Because that is actually a relevant matter of public discourse. You're probably aware that there is another thread on this forum from a few years ago which is relevant to your main topic of interest. Although it has no bearing on reality.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,205,882 times
Agreed that the airport is not going to move, but for a different reason. If the city or its aviation department seriously started discussions of a move -- whether to MKC or to Fairfax or anywhere else -- the viability of New Century suddenly comes into play.

And the city and its allies strongly oppose a new terminal in southern Johnson County, Kansas. They don't even want that possibility discussed.

I am one of the travelers in favor of the existing layout, but I won't rehash all the reasons here. The city has two politically acceptable choices (1. retrofit existing terminals or 2. build a new terminal near the current location). Relocation risks opening Pandora's Box. If the decision is to build, I hope the city would consider the south side of the current airport property, even though new roadways would be required.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Agreed that the airport is not going to move, but for a different reason. If the city or its aviation department seriously started discussions of a move -- whether to MKC or to Fairfax or anywhere else -- the viability of New Century suddenly comes into play.

And the city and its allies strongly oppose a new terminal in southern Johnson County, Kansas. They don't even want that possibility discussed.

I am one of the travelers in favor of the existing layout, but I won't rehash all the reasons here. The city has two politically acceptable choices (1. retrofit existing terminals or 2. build a new terminal near the current location). Relocation risks opening Pandora's Box. If the decision is to build, I hope the city would consider the south side of the current airport property, even though new roadways would be required.
Kansas is going to build build a 3-5 billion dollar airport. And that's what it would cost to turn New Century into a KCI type airport. Are they going to STAR bond the entire state? The airport is not going to move, there is no threat of it going to Kansas, there is zero chance of it being crammed into MKC and I don't think they will be tearing down the GM plant in fairfax to cram one in there either. JoCo wanted to make New Century a second airport back in the 90's, but the airlines had zero interest in god's country which I'm sure surprised JoCo leaders, so they gave up on the idea.

This is like saying no to light rail from downtown to the plaza because it makes more sense to build 3 billion dollar subway line and high speed bullet trains to the suburbs instead.

There is nothing wrong with the location of KCI. Moving the airport downtown will have zero impact on Downtown. Look around the country, some cities have airports near downtown, some don't. I don't see a big difference between Seattle and San Diego, both have vibrant downtowns. You could argue that Seattle has one of the most vibrant in the country and the airport is not all that easy to get to (most people don't take the train). Same deal with Denver and their far flung airport.

KCI is easy as hell to get to from downtown. It's a 20 minute drive, I often did it in 15 minutes. It can take twice that long to reach airports in other cities that are much closer. People don't want to live near airports. Where is the best part of St Louis County? Not by Lambert. All the suburban growth in Cincy is on the opposite side of town. KCI is actually in a great suburban location when most airports are in really ****ty parts of metro areas. The terminal just sucks.

Can we come back down to earth on the KCI and discuss a topic that is actually real?

Old 02-17-2016, 03:23 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
Quote:
Kansas is going to build build a 3-5 billion dollar airport. And that's what it would cost to turn New Century into a KCI type airport. Are they going to STAR bond the entire state? The airport is not going to move, there is no threat of it going to Kansas, there is zero chance of it being crammed into MKC and I don't think they will be tearing down the GM plant in fairfax to cram one in there either. JoCo wanted to make New Century a second airport back in the 90's, but the airlines had zero interest in god's country which I'm sure surprised JoCo leaders, so they gave up on the idea.

This is like saying no to light rail from downtown to the plaza because it makes more sense to build 3 billion dollar subway line and high speed bullet trains to the suburbs instead.

There is nothing wrong with the location of KCI. Moving the airport downtown will have zero impact on Downtown. Look around the country, some cities have airports near downtown, some don't. I don't see a big difference between Seattle and San Diego, both have vibrant downtowns. You could argue that Seattle has one of the most vibrant in the country and the airport is not all that easy to get to (most people don't take the train). Same deal with Denver and their far flung airport.

KCI is easy as hell to get to from downtown. It's a 20 minute drive, I often did it in 15 minutes. It can take twice that long to reach airports in other cities that are much closer. People don't want to live near airports. Where is the best part of St Louis County? Not by Lambert. All the suburban growth in Cincy is on the opposite side of town. KCI is actually in a great suburban location when most airports are in really ****ty parts of metro areas. The terminal just sucks.

Can we come back down to earth on the KCI and discuss a topic that is actually real?
I agree. Makes zero sense to move the airport (and it'll never happen), and KCI is no worse off location-wise than most other airports. DIA is about the same distance from downtown. Main difference in Denver is that traffic is much worse between downtown and the airport. The new train to the airport opens in about a month, and then they're planning on ripping out I-70 starting next year and re-building it to 10 lanes with carpool lanes, so I suppose that should help. Then the plans for some big resort and "airport city" out by the airport are on the table, so eventually, it won't feel like it's out in the middle of nowhere.

But I've had no issues getting to KCI in all my recent trips to KC.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:21 PM

639 posts, read 755,628 times
What was the long term goal of the $250 million spent 15 years ago at KCI? Was anything achieved out of that money?

Old 03-31-2016, 10:38 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,698,601 times
Everybody should read this. KCMO has one hell of a mayor right now. James really knows what he's talking about. I wish more people had a chance to listen to what he has to say.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...291&j=71932252

Old 04-01-2016, 08:06 AM

495 posts, read 770,608 times
Quote:
Everybody should read this. KCMO has one hell of a mayor right now. James really knows what he's talking about. I wish more people had a chance to listen to what he has to say.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...291&j=71932252

I don't have a subscription, can you include what's in the article?

Old 04-01-2016, 09:46 AM

80 posts, read 109,936 times
Quote:

[url]http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2016/03/31/sly-james-interview-kci-airport-future.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2016-03-31&u=11045158364f8ed1a577365efca62f&t=1459475291&j =71932252[/url]
You're right, this is one of the most progressive mayors I have ever seen. If KC government was not mayor-light, i.e. council-driven, I think he would have more of an impact in the way things happen here, but this is moot, so we're not gonna go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City