Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 07:14 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
not people who stand to gain financially or otherwise from a new one.

...and this is exactly the kind of pablum I'm talking about. At some point the anti-anything-changing voices will just have to admit that not everyone who disagrees with them stands to gain some secret financial payout. Some people just don't like KCI, or think a single terminal airport would be an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
The only reason a new KCI hasn't already been forced on us is because people of KC are fighting back. In the end it will be forced down our throats whether we want it or not
Important to remember that it's not your decision, it's ours. KCI belongs to the citizens of KCMO. One of the consequences of relying on the core city of a metro to provide all the amenities that make your metro function is that the citizens of that city also get to decide what those amenities look like. If you want to come to the table, tell your elected leaders to engage on a metro level, and start funding metro-wide amenities. Otherwise, take your mac and cheese and go back to the kiddie table.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:46 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
They like the convenience. There are things more important than money.

I just read on one of the articles today that someone said they were comparing airports and had a 10 minute wait to get through TSA at Denver one time, and the next time it was 55 minutes. No thanks.
There ARE more important things than money. But convenience is not one of them. If anything, you might call it a tie.

Nobody is comparing MCI's ambitions to Denver's, when it comes to air travel. Except the single-terminal detractors, who love to cite every major airport hub, and something they don't like about them. If we could have the non-stop flights that Denver or Charlotte or even Minneapolis has, I would gladly take the longer line at security. Which is less convenient and more time consuming? A long security line, or a layover?

But that's beside the point. The point is that we are not competing with Denver, Charlotte or Minneapolis. We are competing with Indianapolis, Cincinnati and even Tulsa! And every year we sit on our butts, we're losing.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Important to remember that it's not your decision, it's ours. KCI belongs to the citizens of KCMO. One of the consequences of relying on the core city of a metro to provide all the amenities that make your metro function is that the citizens of that city also get to decide what those amenities look like. If you want to come to the table, tell your elected leaders to engage on a metro level, and start funding metro-wide amenities. Otherwise, take your mac and cheese and go back to the kiddie table.
There are Kansas City Missouri residents who feel exactly the way I do. I'm simply expressing the other point of view. And if not for the opposition, it would have already been shoved down our throats like I said. Maybe the Kansas side of the metro should have their own international airport. I'm guessing if we did, that would pretty much put KCI out of business. It would be more conveniently located for just about everyone in the metro and areas west and south on the Kansas side. Something to think about.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:31 AM

495 posts, read 778,450 times
Quote:
There are Kansas City Missouri residents who feel exactly the way I do. I'm simply expressing the other point of view. And if not for the opposition, it would have already been shoved down our throats like I said. Maybe the Kansas side of the metro should have their own international airport. I'm guessing if we did, that would pretty much put KCI out of business. It would be more conveniently located for just about everyone in the metro and areas west and south on the Kansas side. Something to think about.

Kansas is broke and there is no way they could fund a new airport. It would cost well over $2 billion to build out south because of the additional costs of building new runways, service roads, parking garages, air traffic control tower, plus the new terminal. Probably closer to $3 billion. All those are already in place at KCI, it just needs a new, modern terminal.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Maybe the Kansas side of the metro should have their own international airport. I'm guessing if we did, that would pretty much put KCI out of business. It would be more conveniently located for just about everyone in the metro and areas west and south on the Kansas side. Something to think about.
Any potential site in Johnson County would actually be at least 2 times farther away from the center of the metro's population, but if JoCo would like to build and finance an international airport to replace KCI, I think that would be great, and I would welcome the decision the voters of JoCo made. Not sure the design would be what you imagine, though, there's a reason KCI's design was never replicated and nearly every airport built since then has had more or less the same configuration, but who knows, a lot of what gets built in Johnson County is pretty far behind the times...

Old 05-05-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
Kansas is broke and there is no way they could fund a new airport. It would cost well over $2 billion to build out south because of the additional costs of building new runways, service roads, parking garages, air traffic control tower, plus the new terminal. Probably closer to $3 billion. All those are already in place at KCI, it just needs a new, modern terminal.
Is Missouri funding an airport? No, they are not. It will be funded by passengers, not KCMO residents. KCMO needs to be spending money on their failing sewage system but they're not doing that, either.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Any potential site in Johnson County would actually be at least 2 times farther away from the center of the metro's population, but if JoCo would like to build and finance an international airport to replace KCI, I think that would be great, and I would welcome the decision the voters of JoCo made. Not sure the design would be what you imagine, though, there's a reason KCI's design was never replicated and nearly every airport built since then has had more or less the same configuration, but who knows, a lot of what gets built in Johnson County is pretty far behind the times...
I didn't say Johnson County.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:09 AM

404 posts, read 457,148 times
Figures KC would not update that garbage they call an airport.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM

639 posts, read 766,815 times
Quote:
The people of KCMO in the Jackson County portion should not be the ones to vote on anything really. The airport serves more than just the metro and I bet the Jackson County KC residents use the airport the least of the rest of the metro. Just like the earnings tax, KC voters get to decide to extort tax money from non residents. I wish the suburbs would start taxing the KC residents who go to work in the suburbs. That would even the score with KC and it's earning tax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City