U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:04 AM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times

Advertisements

I don't know why some KC residents defend the current terminals like their first-born child. But they're running out of logical reasons to keep them around.

Study confirms new KCI terminal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:43 AM

402 posts, read 300,760 times
KC people will not give up that pos without a huge fight.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 AM

941 posts, read 1,005,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
KC people will not give up that pos without a huge fight.
I've never understood that. The KCI terminals are awful for anyone that:

a.) has a connection
b.) whose flight is delayed
or
c.) who isn't from Kansas City

All other cities of similar size such as Austin, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Nashville, etc. have much more modern facilities that were either built or significantly renovated within the last 20-25 years.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:09 PM

1,298 posts, read 984,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I've never understood that. The KCI terminals are awful for anyone that:

a.) has a connection
b.) whose flight is delayed
or
c.) who isn't from Kansas City

All other cities of similar size such as Austin, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Nashville, etc. have much more modern facilities that were either built or significantly renovated within the last 20-25 years.
I think you answered your own question. People who live in Kansas City will never have a connection through KCI. The only issue they'll encounter is a delayed flight out, but even then it's not too hard for a lot of people to just go home and come back later, if the delay is long enough.

The trick is getting locals to think about this in terms of hospitality to the world, not selfish convenience.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
I think you answered your own question. People who live in Kansas City will never have a connection through KCI. The only issue they'll encounter is a delayed flight out, but even then it's not too hard for a lot of people to just go home and come back later, if the delay is long enough.

The trick is getting locals to think about this in terms of hospitality to the world, not selfish convenience.
I have flown out of every major airport. When comparing KCI to "SIMILAR SIZED AIRPORTS" with a similar amount of traffic and passengers, it's no more convenient at all. Actually, if you use KCI during peak times, it's WORSE than most similar sized airports with longer waits for TSA, baggage check etc. And when KCI is busy like in the mornings at Southwest, it's a terrible place to even to spend ten minutes at because the gates are so tiny and there are so few basic amenities on the secure side of the wall. The restrooms are nasty and tend to have lines, the few places like starbucks also have a 30 minute line. Not that the unsecured side has a much more. Other airlines are the opposite. Some still have no bathroom access at all. So while people are on the floor at southwest, you have other parts of the airport that are ghostown with gates with few peopel stuck in them with zero services. It's the goofiest terminal ever.

I think people in KC always try to compare KCI to O'Hare, Denver, DFW, ATL, LAX etc. They actually think that if a new terminal is built, they will have to walk miles and deal with all the hassle of a major world airport. Like all of the sudden KCI will go from a 10 million passenger airport to a 75 million passenger airport. I have always said, why would you NOT want a major airport. Denver residents might have to walk further, or take trams, but they can get anywhere in the country and many international destinations any time of day non stop. KC people will have to deal with those airports for many destinations anyway. So you give up all those connections to have a shorter walk and instead you add HOURS of time to connect through ATL, LAX, DEN etc. Makes zero sense. But whatever, KCI has missed that boat and will always be a 10-12 million passenger airport. IT WILL ALWAYS BE RELATIVELY EASY TO FLY OUT KC. May as well make it a more pleasant experience. BWI is a medium sized 35 million passenger airport and it's so much more pleasant to use than KCI with more flights too. I don't have to get a sandwich once I pass security, but I can if I want to at least.

KCI could be a compact 40 gate airport with shorter lines and much nicer and facilities and all kinds of basic modern amenities. They could have a real baggage claim area with full size carousels that don't overflow into the main narrow concourses. They can actually take your bags at the counter rather than telling you to drag them back through the line and throw them in a pile in the concourse. They could have tons of seating, large clean restrooms, places to eat or drink or shop, high well lit ceilings, modern finishes, lots of phone charging centers and even fight status monitors that show all airlines no matter where you are, not just some of them! If you are for some reason changing airlines at MCI? OMG, you get off the plane and the monitors only show your airline, you will have no idea what to do. Once you figure out that the other airline is in another terminal, you take the little red bus (that can take 30 minutes to show up) over there and then look at their monitors to see if your flight is on time or what gate it's at. It's HILARIOUS that people actually think KCI is a well functioning airport.

Throw away that 1960's, dingy, dated, dark, cramped facility that wouldn't pass for a greyhound facility for most large metros and build a modern terminal. It would be just as easy to use as KCI only it wouldn't totally fail if three flights have to leave or land at once. Rental cars would be across the street in a covered garage rather than the ridiculous bus ride to acres of surface lots exposed to the elements. You could easily go from one gate to another or even sit in an unused gate while waiting for a flight. I do not get the love people have for that place. And to renovate and spend even 3/4 of what it would cost to build new (let alone spend more) would be such an amazing waste of money, KC would truly be laughed at for doing such a thing. The city has already spent a ridiculous amount of money renovating and building the rental car facility all for nothing. KC could have a new terminal right now had they put that 300 million toward a new terminal. One of the renovated terminals is freaking mothballed right now. It's almost comical. Kemper Arena and KCI are the same. You can't always just do what the population wants when you know it's not the right thing to do as it will cost you far more in the end to try to correct it.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-11-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-11-2015, 01:24 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,148,016 times
Disagree. While I don't find KCI "convenient" compared to it's peers, it is, without a doubt, consistently faster at all times to get through security. That is a straight-up fact. Baggage comes quicker as well, you just have to wait longer for it to start coming out because you aren't walking as far from your gate to the carousel.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Disagree. While I don't find KCI "convenient" compared to it's peers, it is, without a doubt, consistently faster at all times to get through security. That is a straight-up fact. Baggage comes quicker as well, you just have to wait longer for it to start coming out because you aren't walking as far from your gate to the carousel.
Have you flown out of Southwest on a Monday morning? The line to check bags takes 20-30 minutes and the line for TSA is also 20-30 minutes sometimes longer. The TSA line will wrap clear down the concourse. They might have 2 or maybe 3 TSA things (whatever they are called), so if two or more flights are leaving from the same gate area at once, that TSA line will really bog down. Now is it really all that big of a deal? No. I honestly don't wait more than 20 minutes at any mid sized airport during peak times. It's all the other things about KCI that suck way more than the TSA lines. I guess if you really wanted to name the one positive thing about KCI it would be it's probably faster to get through TSA most of the the time, but by only minutes. Like I said, most airports the size of KCI have very short waits as well. The difference is they can actually open more lanes when things get busy. KCI can't.

Now if you fly any airline other than SW at KCI, you probably never have to wait no matter what. You walk right through I'm sure.

That's just my experience. TSA at KCI is okay so long at it's not 6-8 am at SW.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,148,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Have you flown out of Southwest on a Monday morning?

It's all the other things about KCI that suck way more than the TSA lines.

I guess if you really wanted to name the one positive thing about KCI it would be it's probably faster to get through TSA most of the the time, but by only minutes. Like I said, most airports the size of KCI have very short waits as well.

I have.

I agree.

Correct.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:05 PM

12,610 posts, read 14,621,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Agreed. And then there is the fact that once you get your luggage, if you parked in the terminal parking lot, all you have to do is walk across the street to get to your car. I always park there even though it's $22 a day. It's worth it to me to be able to get off the plane, grab my luggage, walk across the street, and be home in 30 minutes.

I have waited HOURS in TSA lines at other airports. Masses and masses of people and lines crawling along. Never had that happen at MCI.

Old 12-11-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I have waited HOURS in TSA lines at other airports. Masses and masses of people and lines crawling along. Never had that happen at MCI.
And it never will.

Hours? I have never waited more than 1 hour at even the busiest airports. Regardless, unless KCI all of the sudden gets ten times as busy, you will likely never wait more than 45 minutes there, most of the time it will be under ten, new terminal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or