Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 09:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,086 times

Advertisements

Well I'm considering a move and your lovely city is listed as among the places for the arts that's still affordable. I was thinking of waiting till after I get my teaching degree but if I make my move now I could just start getting my teaching degree from the state of Missouri. I have at least 30k saved up...yep I been a busy person for eight years squrrieling away nuts. I'm considering moving within a year to put back even more savings. I read through the threads for areas to live in. I am a working artist and would very much like to be around the creative areas. I feel it's probably too late to move around the crossroads now. The hipsters most likely made living there close to impossible. That's the cycle with all art districts though no matter where one lives. I have my own car but I would like take public transportation whenever possible.
I plan on visiting in the summer. If I do choose to move I do not wish to go over the $800/month range in rent. I can but I rather not spend all my funds on rent. I lived in San Francisco and currently live in Birmingham Al(born and raised in Bham). I just feel like ya'll might be my second home. Thank you for your time in answering my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:34 PM

377 posts, read 569,758 times
The Crossroads Arts District. End of story. That's your place. It's one of the most vibrant areas of the city, filled with loft conversions, new coffeehouses and microbreweries and restaurants, and packed with art galleries, artist studios and entrepreneurs. It's also going to be served by the new streetcar which opens next spring. I don't know how realistic your rent is, but that's your spot.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:10 PM

Thank you kindly, I can up my rental requirement if need be I just don't have a desire to drop 1600+/month. I figured unlike my last "young and dumb" move. I only had 3k and moved out to California. Not the best plan I struggled! I figure this time I'm a little bit more prepared to take on relocation. So, I see I some spots and Thank you so much! : ).

Old 12-16-2015, 07:06 AM

495 posts, read 778,360 times
The West Bottoms is also starting to take off as an artist enclave, cheaper rent too I imagine.

KC West Bottoms Art Galleries

Old 12-16-2015, 09:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Yep, anything in the Crossroads would likely fit the bill, atmosphere-wise; however, I have zero firsthand knowledge of how realistic your budget is for that area. At any rate, I'd imagine you'll find that overall, your money will stretch further here than you likely experienced in California.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:16 AM

709 posts, read 1,492,686 times
I don't think you will find much in the Crossroads for $800 per month, unless perhaps you get a roommate or qualify for income restricted housing. The Crossroads really hasn't been a place that most artists live (aside from the rare commercially successful one or trustafarian) for quite some time now - probably 10+ years.

The West Bottoms has long been the more affordable and attractive option for artists because of the raw, industrial loft spaces with good natural light. However, availability of living spaces there can be tough to come by and prices are starting to take off as well.

The Westside neighborhood, just west of the Crossroads is also popular among artists. You will be priced out of the more gentrified northern portion of the neighborhood, but the grittier south end is still affordable. One possible problem with the Westside and the West Bottoms for you is that the public transit options in those areas are not great.

Midtown may be the most practical option for you and your budget. I'm not sure of your age or how much you might want to be around college kids, but the area around the Kansas City Art Institute (the Southmoreland neighborhood) is home to many KCAI students, and other artists as well. That area would also give you good access to the Main St. MAX bus and has some affordable rental options. Really, most of Midtown has a relatively high ratio of artists/creative types. Other neighborhoods in the Midtown area to check out include Volker and Hyde Park.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:23 AM

12,958 posts, read 13,673,944 times
I would go more residential . Most artist that I know in the city need lots of studio space, Brookside, Hyde park or south on Holmes or something. I just saw a 2 bed room out past 80th and a little east for $600-800.00 on Zillow. Before I pulled the trigger on a move I would talk to some full time artist and find out how well they are doing and what they are doing to get by.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Thank ya'll for the information. I'm making connections with other artists that live in the area . I figured the crossroads been taken over by the hipster crowd.
I am a single 36 year African american woman. I would prefer to be around folks my age but college kids don't bother me all that much. I do have my own car so if need be I can use my car to get around the city. I live in Birmingham Al I drive everywhere. That can be a pain mostly for traffic. Such is life, but i just suck it up and drive. : )
I will check out the areas ya have suggested! The info has been greatly helpful! Depending on what I find when I get there and get a feel for the areas ya'll have mentioned. I can make adjustments for what I'm willing to pay as rent. I just figured $800 was good middle ground to start off but I will look further into the rental market and see if I need to adjust my maximum or just put another 6months of living exspenses into my savings. I feel better about relocating because at the very least I have designated savings specifically for that. Better off then I was when I was 25 and thought I could "wing it" with just 3k in savings while living in San Francisco! Learned hard lessons there. So I'm more prepared this time. : )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City