Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 12:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

I was in KC for the holidays as well as St Louis. We wanted to see Star Wars in IMAX. Real IMAX, not the fake slightly larger screens you have at AMC megaplexes etc.

So while in St Louis we tried to see it at the Science Center with relatives, but could not get tickets, it was sold out weeks in advance for future shows.

So we decided to try and see it in KC. Now I understand that the Union Station extreme screen is not IMAX, it's IWERKS, but it's the same size, same quality etc. It's much better than anything at any local theater complex if you want a very large screen, good sound etc. Nobody in KC we talked to even knew it was playing there. Tickets were plentiful and and available the day of any show time, however, we just couldn't make time to get down there while in KC due to other commitments.

So we decided to see it at the IMAX in Indianapolis on the way home. Luckily I bought tickets about a week in advance and was able to get four tickets to a 10pm show, the rest were sold out. It was amazing and worth the effort to see the movie on a real IMAX screen.

Then today, I get a tweet from Crown Center that Union Station is now selling tickets for $5 for Star Wars where the average price for other IMAX venues is $15-20.

KC get out and support the Union Station Extreme Screen (It's just as good as a true IMAX branded theater) before it closes just like the Zoo IMAX closed due to lack of support.

Star Wars at Union Station for $5? Why would you see it anyplace else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 PM

495 posts, read 778,284 times
I saw it in 3D at the Extreme Screen over the holidays on a Wednesday afternoon and it was packed, probably 80-85% full.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:51 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Wow... I actually never even knew there was an IMAX (or similar) theatre in Union Station. So you can attribute one person to being completely oblivious to its existence. Of course I've only been here 2 years. I'll definitely be checking it out.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM

684 posts, read 791,314 times
Is the $5 ticket price only for matinee hours? That is, shows before 5 pm. I think a lot of theaters show movies around that price, but only for matinee. If not, than that is more than worth it to make a trip to Union Station.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindig View Post
I saw it in 3D at the Extreme Screen over the holidays on a Wednesday afternoon and it was packed, probably 80-85% full.
That's good to hear. It should have been sold out for every show during the holidays like other similar theaters, but that's a better crowd than I thought was showing up for it.

When we lived in KC, we were members of Science City and we saw many blockbuster movies there as well as many of the typical educational IMAX documentaries and often there would be no more than a dozen people in that huge theater even during prime time weekend times.

I'm surprised it's still open. The planetarium closed for a while, but was reopened. Union station has a very good planetarium and by far the largest movie screen in metro KC yet very few people know about either one of them. I'm sure marketing has something to do with it as there is amost no marketing for it, never has been.

So hopefully people see this and go check it out. It's a really nice theater and if it's really $5, that's the cheapest I have ever seen. The fake IMAX screens at places like Independence 20 are a joke compared to the Union Station theater and they are expensive.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Is the $5 ticket price only for matinee hours? That is, shows before 5 pm. I think a lot of theaters show movies around that price, but only for matinee. If not, than that is more than worth it to make a trip to Union Station.
https://boxoffice.unionstation.org/c...treme%20screen

Yea I guess it is only for the 12:30 pm show. But even the regular prices of $10 is very good.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Poor marketing.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 AM

495 posts, read 778,284 times
Yeah I think it's a lack of marketing. When I txt'd my friend to see if she wanted to go, she didn't know there was a 3D screen in Union Station and she goes there for brunch all the time...lol

Old 01-09-2016, 12:26 AM

127 posts, read 131,991 times
no one knows it's there... it's like the union station doesn't even try.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:29 PM

131 posts, read 185,011 times
From someone from a Marketing background, this ball was completely dropped by Union Station not the city itself. That theater would be packed if they actually did a decent job (or even bad honestly) job at promoting it. But the only promotion they have for it is random sparse spots inside Union Station itself. So its just a case of plan no one knowing its there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City