Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 04:54 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,143,948 times

Advertisements

Demolition has begun on Nelle Peters apartments row | The Kansas City Star

I don't know the specifics about how far gone they really were and what would have been involved in saving them, but it makes me sad. I knew someone who lived in one of those apartments in the 80s/90s.

They were designed in 1927. Kind of sad to see them go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 10:25 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,305,619 times
I've been following this since it was announced last year. I lived across the Bloch Cancer Survivor's Park from them, in the Washington Irving building (the little building that's next to, and dwarfed by, Polsinelli), the first few years I lived in Kansas City, and always liked them.

One of the historic preservation groups lobbied for their local significance, but as the information published on the matter seems to read, in the end, the corporation that bought them determined that there was no cost-effective way to retrofit them as high-end housing, and they weren't willing to develop them as moderate price range housing. They weren't protected as historic landmarks, and as such, nothing much could be done to save them.

I was on the Plaza on Friday night, and checked it out...pretty sad. My old apartment building on the Plaza (not Washington Irving - though I'm kind of surprised it's been left alone- but one I lived in in 2012-13) was torn down in the past year, also. Lots of that going around.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM

Yep, I know where that is. Were you living there when JJ's burned down!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,305,619 times
No, thankfully...I was living in the other one I mentioned, about four blocks away. But when I did live in Washington Irving, my apartment looked out onto JJ's roof and that of the medi-spa that used to be next to it.

The day of the explosion, I was actually having day surgery at St. Joseph Medical Center in SKC. When my then-boyfriend, now-husband and I left the Carondelet complex, you could see the smoke plume from 435...it had just started. I said, "Is something burning on the Plaza? That looks as close as the Plaza, but it's hard to judge distance." So we put on KKFI, and they were reporting on it. I'd had my phone off in the hospital, but when I turned it on, I had a bunch of texts from people asking if I was okay, because it was on national news!

We didn't figure that we'd be able to get anywhere near the Plaza, and I needed to be observed for 48 hours post-surgery, so we went to his place in Mission. Then the back-to-back blizzards started the next morning, and we were snowed in for three days in Mission. I was worried that windows may have broken at my apartment from the blast. Some did, as it turned out, but not mine.

The anniversary of that explosion is coming up; maybe this coming week, I believe.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No, thankfully...I was living in the other one I mentioned, about four blocks away. But when I did live in Washington Irving, my apartment looked out onto JJ's roof and that of the medi-spa that used to be next to it.

The day of the explosion, I was actually having day surgery at St. Joseph Medical Center in SKC. When my then-boyfriend, now-husband and I left the Carondelet complex, you could see the smoke plume from 435...it had just started. I said, "Is something burning on the Plaza? That looks as close as the Plaza, but it's hard to judge distance." So we put on KKFI, and they were reporting on it. I'd had my phone off in the hospital, but when I turned it on, I had a bunch of texts from people asking if I was okay, because it was on national news!

We didn't figure that we'd be able to get anywhere near the Plaza, and I needed to be observed for 48 hours post-surgery, so we went to his place in Mission. Then the back-to-back blizzards started the next morning, and we were snowed in for three days in Mission. I was worried that windows may have broken at my apartment from the blast. Some did, as it turned out, but not mine.

The anniversary of that explosion is coming up; maybe this coming week, I believe.
And at the time, no one knew if other buildings were going to explode as well. Good thing you had surgery that day and weren't home; that would have been terrifying.

Remember the dog that was scared and ran and wasn't found for a couple of weeks?

And that poor girl who died. I am pretty sure she had waited on me and some friends at the Melting Pot. I wish I could remember exactly when we went there. I don't know if it was just months before the explosion or more like a year before. But I'm fairly certain she was our waitress.

I looked it up. February 19th is the three year anniversary of the explosion.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:03 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,727,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
They were designed in 1927. Kind of sad to see them go.
I thought you didn't like anything old or gritty, you have said that about 500 times anyway. I'm surprised you are sad to see them go.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:21 PM

396 posts, read 992,128 times
We almost made it! But the drunk uncle arrives again

EDIT: Upon reading other posts from today I realize we never were close to making it. We're all just one big happy family aren't we?

Last edited by pioneer88; 02-16-2016 at 05:38 PM..

Old 02-16-2016, 06:33 PM

He's not MY drunk uncle!

Old 02-16-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I thought you didn't like anything old or gritty, you have said that about 500 times anyway. I'm surprised you are sad to see them go.
But I do appreciate history, and I have stated that before.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 PM

495 posts, read 771,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But I do appreciate history, and I have stated that before.

But I do believe you have inferred or stated many times that old=dirty and these apartments were both, but they were salvagable and should have been restored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City